The TV Thread

Deadline is reporting that Bryan Fuller has been hired as the showrunner for the 2017 CBS series. For those unfamiliar with the man's body of work, his career started on STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, and continued into STAR TREK: VOYAGER in the early 2000s. However, Fuller has gone on to create the amazing--yet short-lived--series PUSHING DAISIES, as well as the highly-acclaimed--and also short-lived--series HANNIBAL. 

Fuller had the following to say about his being brought on to helm the series:

“My very first experience of STAR TREK is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the Star Trek universe lit my imagination on fire. It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of STAR TREK with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no STAR TREK series has gone before.”

Alex Kurtzman, executive producer, as well as writer of the previous two STAR TREK films had the following to say:

51 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Any one from the movies going to stick around for this one which I'm guessing will take place post ST:Beyond?

Lot of speculation but no one knows.  The only thing stated is that it would be "new characters, new civilizations" not connected to the films or original TV show.

Many fans think it will be the Prime (or original) universe but past the last Next Generation film.  I hate that idea.  Its not practical.  Enters into science fantasy when you go that far in the future.

Others think it has to be the JJ Abrams new film universe since Alex Kurtzman (writer on the films) is producing this show.  But there are legal issues surrounding that (CBS owns the original characters and licenses them to Paramount to make movies, so for TV it would be CBS licensing to paramount who then licenses to CBS...not a good set up).

Kurtzman is a new universe guy.  Fuller wrote for Deep Space 9 and Voyager and talked of the adventure that came with the original series.  Hard to tell....

I think they should fill in the history.  Original Enterprise, Captain April (he was the first captain of the Enterprise before Christopher Pike).

X-Files was hilarious last night.  It was probably a good choice since I assume next week's finale will be pretty heavy.  The content of Babylon was interesting and they sort of skirted it to provide comedy.  But the comedy was tremendous.  If the season was longer, they'd have more opportunity to explore darker issues and more relevant topics.

I see the ratings are "so-so".  Hopefully good enough to warrant another season and a larger order.

15 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

The mushroom trip was funny, but ive found a few of the episodes a little stupid tbh. like the werelizard, and even yesterdays suicide bomber one. so I can see why ratings have been so/so.  Ill still watch cuz it works perfectly with my evening tv viewing,  7-10 raw,  10-11 xfiles,  11-12 lucifer

But thats classic X-Files.  They do funny.  They do ridiculous.  In a season of 24 episodes, there is enough for everyone.  But in a six episode season perhaps its a bit too funny.  Although I bet those episodes resonate with viewers easier than the more serious ones.

I ad to rewind the mushroom trip scene as I didnt even recognize Skinner dancing or the Lone Gunmen.  Hilarious.

18 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not watched X-Files, in fact i stopped at the first movie but im guessing from the description of this one they will not close everything off with the last ep?

After watching episodes 1 (part 1 and 2) and 2 of this season i thought there was going to be a straight theme to the season with the ability to have a conclusion, but it's kinda derailed since that which I think for me was the biggest let down.  

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

After watching episodes 1 (part 1 and 2) and 2 of this season i thought there was going to be a straight theme to the season with the ability to have a conclusion, but it's kinda derailed since that which I think for me was the biggest let down.  

Next week's finale returns to the mythology.  Im glad they didnt just do six episodes of mythology.

X-Files was really good around the time of it's first movie.  It just collapsed under the weight of its own mythology and having to keep changing the "truth" the longer the series got renewed and coming up with reasons why they didnt just kill Mulder off if he was such a threat.  There was an episode in the later seasons where they just flat out revealed the "truth" but by then it was a bit late.

This new season has been great though.

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

An exact date has been set for Norman Reedus last day on The Walking Dead. The date is April 1st…April Fools!

If Norman Reedus were really leaving, I wouldn’t be writing this, I’d be in the corner crying.