The TV Thread

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I might have to rewatch the season of the walking dead, these holiday hiatuses are brutal lol

I like it better than 5 new episodes, three repeats, two new, four repeats etc and never knowing when or how they were going to air new versus repeats.   I think AMC does marathons before the new episodes to remind people what happened and build anticipation, which is a great idea.  I very much love the "cable" delivery of TV which spread from HBO to stations like AMC.  Although, while I like The Walking Dead, I sometimes wish it was on HBO or Showtime so it could fully embrace its adult content.

20 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I just saw a thing on FB about celebrities who went broke, and one of them was Chris Tucker, who never continued on the Friday series but found some luck with the Rush Hour movies, I wonder if they are trying to reboot interest in the franchise or if this is kind of a nail in the coffin for it?

I think Tucker retired because he was rich.

16 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I really liked season 1, and am stoked for this;

daredevil_season_2_poster__by_spidermonk

looking like Jon Bernthal (walking dead) is playing Frank Castle/Punisher

Jon Bernthal Picture

Can't wait for this.  A little over a month and it's out.  Elektra will be in it as well.

A live-action STAR WARS television show has been both rumored and in development for a long time now. Back in the mid-2000s, George Lucas himself was working to bring STAR WARS: UNDERWORLD to the small screen. It's a project that never came to fruition, though that didn't stop animated fare like STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS and STAR WARS REBELS from coming out. All the same, we'd be lying if we said we weren't intrigued by the idea of a live-action STAR WARS show.

Some time ago, there was talk of Disney re-using the sets for their feature films for the TV series, but given how infrequently the STAR WARS universe seems to revisit locations, it seemed unlikely to work out in the long run. Plus, after the acquisition of the property, Disney decided to divert its resources on one thing. “They are focused on their movies,” network president Paul Lee told TVLine, “so we don’t have any plans at the moment.”

And regarding the TV front, a Lucasfilm rep said their "current focus for TV is on animation [STAR WARS REBELS, etc.].” Nothing against animation, but wouldn't a live-action STAR WARS series be the next logical step for the franchise? And what about Netflix? Marvel is having great success with their Netflix series DAREDEVIL and JESSICA JONES, and if the same careful attention was given to a galaxy far, far away, couldn't it work? Perhaps. But an anonymous industry insider seems to thinks it's "smart brand management" not to do a live-action TV show.

The anonymous insider went on to speculate behind the reasoning behind this move. “I imagine they’re looking to avoid the Marvel-ization of the franchise," they told TVLine.

That part of the statement has me scratching my head a bit. Marvel is currently one of the most lucrative brands out there, and given that Disney is the owner of both Marvel and Lucasfilm, it seems like a no-brainer to develop a TV show. Maybe Disney doesn't want to be lazy in the way it handles its properties. I can certainly appreciate a company trying to change up their strategies for fear of oversaturating the market. I say that...and yet I don't think that can be it.

STAR WARS is a property that spans movies, comics, books, video games, and animated TV shows. Why would they be that precious about this one aspect? It's possible that in limiting the live-action fare, they've ultimately limited the number of people who will get tired of the films. The plan going forward is to release a film every year, and if in addition to this, they have an ongoing STAR WARS TV series, there could potentially be a large portion of moviegoers who would skip the movie experience since they've already had their live-action STAR WARS fix on the small screen.

In addition to this, as successful as the Marvel TV front has been, there has been an increasing disconnect between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV. By not creating a live-action TV show to begin with, Disney is eliminating that problem at the root. What do you think? Is it a smart move on Disney and Lucasfilm's part to avoid a TV show? ! Read more at: https://tr.im/XBuub
Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Give them time. They've already got a couple shows on ABC which seem to get renewed despite so-so ratings. Half the Disney characters have been on Once Upon a Time!

Can't imagine Disney sending SW off to Netflix when they got ABC + SW is family friendly.

I guess it depends on the deal and the content. A Star Wars live action film might be more geared towards the teen/adult crowd.  The original premise was taking place prior to ANH.  Thats a good time to set it really and could be about Vader's hunt for the Jedi (although isnt that the plot of one of the cartoons, which I dont watch?).

Disney owns Marvel and makes deals with Netflix and their own network.  Diversifying isnt a bad idea.  And Netflix is a great partner.

Im not sure I buy the idea a TV show would hurt the films.  Its a bit different than Star Trek where Trek is really built for TV and the films might not deliver the true content that Trek fans want.  I think a GOOD Wars TV show would enhance it.  But if they are being cautious about over saturation then good for them!

too much tv on to watch all at once!!  so i'm PVR'ing Xfiles part 2 (i just watched part 1 and thumbs up) also PVR'ing Lucifer, i liked the way the commercials look but reading the pilot info off the guide, Lucifer leaves hell and lives in LA where he decides to start punishing criminals... i dunno if i like that last part, every soul should be open game to corrupt imo

otherwise it sounds like Ghost Rider the tv series

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

The return of Fox's "The X-Files" brought in impressive ratings for the rebooted cult classic on Sunday night.

The series, which was scheduled right after Fox's broadcast of the NFC Championship game on Sunday night, brought in a viewership of 16.2 million viewers, according to Nielsen data.

That includes an impressive 7.8 million viewers with those in the prized advertising demographic of 18 to 49 years old.

****Saw a lot of complaints from people that DVR'ed the first episode and missed part of it due to the Football game running long.  Which indicates there are a lot of stupid people out there.  Ofcourse you should extend the recording to make sure, its a live sporting event!

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Has anyone watched The Man in the High Castle? Really interesting show set in the 60's. What if the allied forces didn't win the war?  The US is now the German Reich (Eastern Seaboard) and the Japanese Pacific States, will a few thousand miles of "neutral land" in between. Pretty neat idea.

The Man in the High Castle

Ive always been fascinated with this topic.  How would Germany have managed a territory so far away?  How would Americans have handled being under Nazi rule?  Doesnt seem like it would have worked out for the Nazi's in the long run.  What would have happened to Canada?  Mexico?

How the heck do you watch this?  Says it's an Amazon series??  is there an ap for this I can watch on my TV? 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ive always been fascinated with this topic.  How would Germany have managed a territory so far away?  How would Americans have handled being under Nazi rule?  Doesnt seem like it would have worked out for the Nazi's in the long run.  What would have happened to Canada?  Mexico?

How the heck do you watch this?  Says it's an Amazon series??  is there an ap for this I can watch on my TV? 

Me too! Super fascinating topic & that period in time really entices me, entertainment-wise.  I'm only 3 episodes in, but I think at least some of what you mention comes up.  Hitler is still alive and is actually a key figure keeping peace; and his soon-to-happen death has other characters thinking a Germany/Japan war for entire control of "America" is just a matter of time.  

I watch most of my TV on XBMC (now Kodi) installed on my laptop.