Burke Comments

Montreal didn't want him and they are willing to try out porter.

Toronto to a bunch of no names over him, so did Hamilton.

Edmonton had two unknowns and the geriatric kerry joseph but they didn't have room

and in BC. if lulay goes down. who does buano trust most to step in. a guy who hasn't thrown a pass over Elliott. what a ringing endorsement.

yeah either all the gms are wrong or you guys seem to think Elliott is better than he is. I wonder what it is.

OR there's a third option.... you're completely clueless. Wally Buono has had by far the most success finding qbs who can play in this league and he found a spot on his roster for Elliott. He also recognized that sticking with Pierce is a mistake as well. I'll take his opinion on qbs thanks. He think Elliott is worth a roster spot that says more than what any other GM thinks. I mean Goltz has never started a game and only thrown like 14 passes in his career, and Hall has never thrown any. Until they prove something Elliott is a better option. And given how terrible Pierce has been he's not a better option either. 

Pierce only has to win 2 more games to beat Elliott's win total as a starter last season (in 9 games started), not exactly a lofty goal but it's the standard laid down by the guy everyone here is crying about cutting.  I'm sure Pierce can do better than that.

Wally Buono has had by far the most success finding qbs who can play in this league and he found a spot on his roster for Elliott. He also recognized that sticking with Pierce is a mistake as well. I'll take his opinion on qbs thanks. He think Elliott is worth a roster spot that says more than what any other GM thinks.

Lame. You've been metaphorically teabagging Mack for 3 years, but now that your favourite gets cut you pull out the "Wally knows" card?

Lame. You've been metaphorically teabagging Mack for 3 years, but now that your favourite gets cut you pull out the "Wally knows" card?

I called it a bloody mistake the second it happened, there's no inconsistencies there. I still like what Mack is doing overall, I just think he listened to his coach too much on the qb front and made a mistake as a result of it. Quite simply there is no one in the CFL who has shown they know qbs as well as Wally Buono over the past 20 years.

One big difference between the two is that Joey Elliott has his whole career ahead of him at the age of 26. Buck Pierces best days are more than likely behind him at 31 going on 32.

Pierce only has to win 2 more games to beat Elliott's win total as a starter last season (in 9 games started), not exactly a lofty goal but it's the standard laid down by the guy everyone here is crying about cutting.  I'm sure Pierce can do better than that.

If Buck were a better player he would be able to put Joey Elliott's stats to shame. It doesn't look like that's the direction he's headed, however.

My initial surprise that we cut Joey has evolved into utter disappointment. Buck is done, and he's got the whole season to prove it from Burke's comments and apparent lack of faith in the backups. If only we had an up-and-comer, maybe a 2 time POTW award winner to hand the controls over to.

the difficulty with that is this years defense is better than last years...

I called it a bloody mistake the second it happened, there's no inconsistencies there. I still like what Mack is doing overall, I just think he listened to his coach too much on the qb front and made a mistake as a result of it. Quite simply there is no one in the CFL who has shown they know qbs as well as Wally Buono over the past 20 years.

^

I was happy that Elliott won the POTW award twice.  What I didn't like was that the weeks when he didn't win it he deserved the SPOTW award.

I hear you, but that's all correctable. Joey had some real drive, he could move the ball, and showed confidence in the way he played (for better or for worse). He didn't throw a tight spiral every time, he didn't spot every open receiver, and he wasn't speedy... but **** me if he didn't get first downs when we needed them.

OR there's a third option.... you're completely clueless. Wally Buono has had by far the most success finding qbs who can play in this league and he found a spot on his roster for Elliott. He also recognized that sticking with Pierce is a mistake as well. I'll take his opinion on qbs thanks. He think Elliott is worth a roster spot that says more than what any other GM thinks. I mean Goltz has never started a game and only thrown like 14 passes in his career, and Hall has never thrown any. Until they prove something Elliott is a better option. And given how terrible Pierce has been he's not a better option either. 

You might have a point if he was the back up  but He's not,  so you don't. Nice attempt at a spin job though. Quit pretending a 3rd string roster spot is vindication for getting cut.

You might have a point if he was the back up  but He's not,  so you don't. Nice attempt at a spin job though. Quit pretending a 3rd string roster spot is vindication for getting cut.

it's still a spot on a roster. I actually view it as insurance incase the 2nd guy in BC has to go in and isn't up to snuff. Lulay is still fairly young and seems durable so It's not likely that the Lions will need a replacement for him anytime soon so to me Wally wants a younger guy to groom in the 2nd position, Elliott at 3rd string is simply someone who can play if Lulay gets hurt and the 2nd man isn't able to do what needs to be done. He found a spot on a roster doesn't matter if it's 2nd or 3rd string, that's a lot more than many of the backup qbs who have come through the CFL can say after being cut by their first team. 

You can disregard it all you like, it doesn't make you correct. 

I hear you, but that's all correctable. Joey had some real drive, he could move the ball, and showed confidence in the way he played (for better or for worse). He didn't throw a tight spiral every time, he didn't spot every open receiver, and he wasn't speedy... but **** me if he didn't get first downs when we needed them.

You forgot to mention his moxy.

He absolutely did NOT get first downs when we needed them, or else we would have had more wins.

People seem to have this skewed memory of Elliott in which he was a star that drove up and down the field all day, when nothing could be further from the truth.  He was given great field position time and time again and coughed up the ball or stalled drives and caused us to go for field goals.  People's hate of Pierce is causing them to build Elliott up into some kind of star when he was actually nothing more than slightly below average.

Also love how everyone talks about all his "easily correctable" flaws like they actually have a clue how easy it is to coach up a QB.

He absolutely did NOT get first downs when we needed them, or else we would have had more wins.

People seem to have this skewed memory of Elliott in which he was a star that drove up and down the field all day, when nothing could be further from the truth.  He was given great field position time and time again and coughed up the ball or stalled drives and caused us to go for field goals.  People's hate of Pierce is causing them to build Elliott up into some kind of star when he was actually nothing more than slightly below average.

Also love how everyone talks about all his "easily correctable" flaws like they actually have a clue how easy it is to coach up a QB.

The only times That the offense didn't move down the field were Labour day and in Calgary. Other than that, yes Elliott was quite good at moving the ball, much better than either Pierce or Brink have been at it at any time since halfway through 2011. The issues he had were in a couple games he threw interceptions once they got close to scoring range. IT wasn't a failure to move the ball, it was turning it over when they had a chance to put points on the board. An issue, but a far lesser issue in my mind than a complete inability to actually move the ball because at least if a guy is just throwing the ball in bad places at the wrong time you can work on that. Much easier to take away those few bad throws than trying to make a qb able to do anything right. 

it's still a spot on a roster. I actually view it as insurance incase the 2nd guy in BC has to go in and isn't up to snuff. Lulay is still fairly young and seems durable so It's not likely that the Lions will need a replacement for him anytime soon so to me Wally wants a younger guy to groom in the 2nd position, Elliott at 3rd string is simply someone who can play if Lulay gets hurt and the 2nd man isn't able to do what needs to be done. He found a spot on a roster doesn't matter if it's 2nd or 3rd string, that's a lot more than many of the backup qbs who have come through the CFL can say after being cut by their first team.

You can disregard it all you like, it doesn't make you correct.

is that your professional opinion? yeah I'm sure that's why wally doesn't want such a good qb coming off the bench first.

The only times That the offense didn't move down the field were Labour day and in Calgary. Other than that, yes Elliott was quite good at moving the ball, much better than either Pierce or Brink have been at it at any time since halfway through 2011. The issues he had were in a couple games he threw interceptions once they got close to scoring range. IT wasn't a failure to move the ball, it was turning it over when they had a chance to put points on the board. An issue, but a far lesser issue in my mind than a complete inability to actually move the ball because at least if a guy is just throwing the ball in bad places at the wrong time you can work on that. Much easier to take away those few bad throws than trying to make a qb able to do anything right. 

Buck Pierce has already led a longer drive this season than Elliott did all of last season.

Elliot was awful only on Labour Day and in Calgary?   How about the Banjo Bowl when Elliott was given the ball on the Rider side of the field multiple times and never got a sniff of the endzone?  How about week 14 against Toronto when he threw 3 interceptions?

Pierce is bad, Elliott was worse.  I agree we have a QB problem but I don't agree it would be any better with Elliott still here.

Buck Pierce has already led a longer drive this season than Elliott did all of last season.

Elliot was awful only on Labour Day and in Calgary?   How about the Banjo Bowl when Elliott was given the ball on the Rider side of the field multiple times and never got a sniff of the endzone?  How about week 14 against Toronto when he threw 3 interceptions?

Pierce is bad, Elliott was worse.  I agree we have a QB problem but I don't agree it would be any better with Elliott still here.

one whole drive? That's the entire point with Pierce, he can do that once or twice a game then nothing. I'll take 4 or 5 lesser drives than the one big drive. I mentioned the INT games late so why bring that up? Banjo Bowl he got the ball at the end of the game and moved them into field goal position to extend the lead but the coach messed up the decision and the defense collapsed and let the riders march to win.... Could have very easily won that game with a smart decision from his coach and a backbone from the defense. 

You are of course free to think that Pierce is better than Elliott but there's just absolutely no basis in fact for such an opinion. Pierce hasn't been that kind of quarterback since the first half of 2011. Ever since then it's been a downhill trajectory for his career and only the blind or willfully ignorant are missing it. 

yeah because 2 and outs and punting from your own end of the field are soooooo much better right? 

Given the choice between sudden change and a punt .. I'll take the punt.  I'll also take a quarterback who does what's asked of him by the OC .. it was one of the more damning criticisms leveled against Elliott.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Pierce and I think the offense is wasting the efforts of a championship calibre defense .. but the organization recognized Elliott wasn't the long term solution here .. they moved on .. and are evaluating Goltz and Hall ..