Bombers negotiate Transit game day discount

gbill2004

Im not calling anyone a liar because I am sure you experiences are true.  I live in South Winnipeg.  I've driven around during and after Bombers games.  Is it busy?  Yes.  Is it mind-blowing bad?  No.

Also, I never found the Jets game traffic terrible either.  I just noticed heavy traffic on North Bound Pembina when the Jets play. 

One problem with the U of M location was removing one of the three points of entry/exit.  I understand why they dont want traffic using Kings Dr but still...

They widened the area around Chancellor Matheson & Pembina but not to the extent they could have or should have.

Still, after the first couple of games, the Bombera and fans figured it out (True North lent a hand too).

yeah not allowing people to enter or leave throught kings drive is a huge problem, i understand the reasoning also but... i think if they allowed people to do that, it would definitely help the "traffic problem". 

Im not calling anyone a liar because I am sure you experiences are true.  I live in South Winnipeg.  I've driven around during and after Bombers games.  Is it busy?  Yes.  Is it mind-blowing bad?  No.

Also, I never found the Jets game traffic terrible either.  I just noticed heavy traffic on North Bound Pembina when the Jets play. 

One problem with the U of M location was removing one of the three points of entry/exit.  I understand why they dont want traffic using Kings Dr but still...

They widened the area around Chancellor Matheson & Pembina but not to the extent they could have or should have.

Still, after the first couple of games, the Bombera and fans figured it out (True North lent a hand too).

yeah not allowing people to enter or leave throught kings drive is a huge problem, i understand the reasoning also but... i think if they allowed people to do that, it would definitely help the "traffic problem". 

I understand the concerns, and I agree to the no parking stipulation, but I would hope a controlled outflow of traffic through the King's Dr. area could be arranged.

That would help.

I understand the concerns, and I agree to the no parking stipulation, but I would hope a controlled outflow of traffic through the King's Dr. area could be arranged.

That would help.

Not 100% sure on entering, but you can exit post-game for sure on King's Drive, unless all the cars whizzing by us as we walked south on University were outlaws.  I think pre-game it's only open to people accessing campus for non-football purposes so to speak.

University Crescent is closed at the campus border both pre and post game.

That would help.

Not 100% sure on entering, but you can exit post-game for sure on King's Drive, unless all the cars whizzing by us as we walked south on University were outlaws.  I think pre-game it's only open to people accessing campus for non-football purposes so to speak.

University Crescent is closed at the campus border both pre and post game.

Yes for King's Drive. The road is for students/staff who have classes that night, and considering that there are 4 Thursday night games with conflict with summer courses, it is necessary.

If they'd have finished that damned Transit lane way (Rapid Transit) when they had the opportunity, they wouldn't be having this discussion to begin with.

Short-sightedness by his Worship (Katz - not Nate) doesn't look too smart in hindsight.

Meh, the transitway will only be useful for anyone coming through downtown or from the north (west of the river), probably far less than half of people taking transit to the game.

Not necessarily.

Anyone could park anywhere along its path and have quicker egress from that quagmire around the U.

Remember - game day tickets allow fans a free ride.

In no time people would figure it out and the need for parking and spaces would diminish.

Also, most of those game day buses wouldn't be needed, leaving the roadway for cars only.

Less cars, less buses less hassle.

I know its true, I read it on a bus billboard when I was aboard and bored.

Just crossing the river to park on the transitway for anyone from the east side of the city would double travel time.  Honestly, if I have to cross the river to access reasonable transit to the stadium, I'm driving the whole way, but we park for free about 2 KM's south of the stadium and walk.  And there's zero chance I'm wading into the mess that those buses are after the game.  I've been to some interesting places and I don't think I've seen anything quite as dangerous as the number of drunk people staggering down University Crescent combined with people whizzing by on bikes and confused bus drivers/riders trying to figure out where to go, all of this in the pitch black dark.

I'm surprised at the lack of private shuttles to the stadium.  I thought places like BP, Tavern etc would be all over that.

I really think it's a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or even killed on Chancellor Matheson..at which point the city will then decide to spend a several million extending the sidewalk on the north side of Chancellor Matheson all the way to Pembina, as well as adding streetlights along the route and probably a few designated crosswalks for good measure.

Reactive rather than proactive.

wouldnt the better solution here be the probably simplest one. Not sure how people would feel about this but... basically instead of riding free, you pay the 2.50 fare or whatever it is, 5 bucks get you there and back.

I dont think people would have an issue paying 5 bucks to take the bus to and from bomber games, lots of people do it every day. Maybe they can come up with a bomber type go pass where you pay say 50 bucks for it and its good for one season of bomber football.

100,000 people lets say took the bus to get to games last year, (just a rough estimate and sure its the same people) but you times that by 5 bucks and thats a pretty nice chunk of change there they would make, probably enough to cover the costs of the buses, if not very close to covering the costs. 

100,000 x 5 bucks = 500,000 dollars. 

How much are they looking for? cuz that right there pretty much is what they are looking for isnt it? 

wouldnt the better solution here be the probably simplest one. Not sure how people would feel about this but... basically instead of riding free, you pay the 2.50 fare or whatever it is, 5 bucks get you there and back.

I dont think people would have an issue paying 5 bucks to take the bus to and from bomber games, lots of people do it every day. Maybe they can come up with a bomber type go pass where you pay say 50 bucks for it and its good for one season of bomber football.

100,000 people lets say took the bus to get to games last year, (just a rough estimate and sure its the same people) but you times that by 5 bucks and thats a pretty nice chunk of change there they would make, probably enough to cover the costs of the buses, if not very close to covering the costs. 

How much are they looking for? cuz that right there pretty much is what they are looking for isnt it? 

Regular bus fare covers about 50% of the cost of Transit, with the province and city subsidizing the rest.  So you're looking at about $11 round trip each to cover the cost of the charters.

I really think it's a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or even killed on Chancellor Matheson..at which point the city will then decide to spend a several million extending the sidewalk on the north side of Chancellor Matheson all the way to Pembina, as well as adding streetlights along the route and probably a few designated crosswalks for good measure.

Chancellor Matheson and University Crescent.  The lighting is incredibly poor, sidewalks non existant, or end abruptly on University Crescent (actually saw an older man injure his leg quite severely on the west sidewalk of University Crescent last summer after a Bomber game right where the sidewalk ends and there's a big rise), mix of drunk and sober pedestrians, people riding bikes through crowds of hundreds and thousands of people (and who knows what their sobriety situation is), confused bus drivers and people trying to find their bus to get out of there in the pitch black dark, then add in people being shooed out of parking lots trying to contend with the pedestrians and bikes.

The conditions are definitely there for serious injury or death.  But hey, at least they built the railings in the stadium well enough so we can't fall over or under them.

Regular bus fare covers about 50% of the cost of Transit, with the province and city subsidizing the rest.  So you're looking at about $11 round trip each to cover the cost of the charters.

Chancellor Matheson and University Crescent.  The lighting is incredibly poor, sidewalks non existant, or end abruptly on University Crescent (actually saw an older man injure his leg quite severely on the west sidewalk of University Crescent last summer after a Bomber game right where the sidewalk ends and there's a big rise), mix of drunk and sober pedestrians, people riding bikes through crowds of hundreds and thousands of people (and who knows what their sobriety situation is), confused bus drivers and people trying to find their bus to get out of there in the pitch black dark, then add in people being shooed out of parking lots trying to contend with the pedestrians and bikes.

The conditions are definitely there for serious injury or death.  But hey, at least they built the railings in the stadium well enough so we can't fall over or under them.

Add in a 'home team loss' provides more fuel to this fire unfortunately . . .    

• 4 weeks later...

The City of Winnipeg says no transit discount for Bombers:

City hall has rejected a request from the Winnipeg Football club for discounted transit services to Investors Group Field this season.

The city's decision was made public this morning in a news release.

"We carefully reviewed the request received from the WFC regarding Transit services for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ 2014 season and could not grant their request for a discount from 2013 rates," Deepak Joshi, Acting Chief Administrative Officer, City of Winnipeg, says in this morning's news release.

The news appears to violate a tentative agreement the football team had with city officials.

Bombers CEO Wade Miller had said the team could not afford to pay Winnipeg its charter rates for use of transit buses to games and events.

Miller had said without a deal, the team would rely on existing regular transit services, which some suggested would lead to traffic gridlock on roadways around the stadium.

Miller could not be reached for comment this morning.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/No-Transit-discount-for-Bombers-city-260767131.html

That's not quite what Miller said before. They seem to have left out the part about renting school buses.

WTF.  This city, proactive as always.

Seems like the positive news contained in the Bombers revenue release made the city change their minds.

I hope when people are stuck in traffic and waiting long lines for busses that arent coming that they know where the blame lies.

Is the city then going to provide the same level of bus service, but on a 'regular route' basis?  I dont have a problem with fans paying the bus fee but having dedicated buses working these routes and working the park & rides is a must.  Not just as a service to Bombers fans but to the rest of us that want to be able to drive around south winnipeg during those times.

The transit deal was all but done several weeks ago, with both the Bombers and City declaring it a better solution. Then the Bombers board rejects the nomination of Sam Katz' buddy Jeff Rabb to a seat on the BOD. Now suddenly, "after careful consideration", the city decides to reject the transit deal. Big surprise.

It was a done deal between the bombers and transit, the city still had to okay it. Which, even in the first article from April 30th, Miller said "If councillors don't want to pass it, then they don't have to pass it."

Funny that the Bombers official twitter account just retweeted that comment...

Wpg Blue Bombers @Wpg_BlueBombers 24s

RT @garrettbillan1: @Wpg_BlueBombers Sammy still crying about his buddy Rabb being rejected by the BOD I see.

Not saying that there wasn't some pettiness on the part of the city when coming to their decision .. but you'd hope the Bomber organization would try to put a better face on the situation ..

Funny that the Bombers official twitter account just retweeted that comment...

Wpg Blue Bombers ‏@Wpg_BlueBombers 24s

RT @garrettbillan1: @Wpg_BlueBombers Sammy still crying about his buddy Rabb being rejected by the BOD I see.

It's a retweet not an offical tweet! Give the team more credit than that!

Retweeting something like that implies you are reiterating / supporting the comment.

They deleted it already, just like I assumed they would.

I actually believe that... or whatever minion was manning the twitter feed got in some fast trouble.

Wpg Blue Bombers @Wpg_BlueBombers  ·  18s

@Brent_Neill It was an accidental RT, the Tweet was brought to our attention and we were reviewing. Not an official comment by any means.

I would buy it, except the person who runs the Twitter account has been in trouble before for similar stuff.

I actually believe that... or whatever minion was manning the twitter feed got in some fast trouble.

Wpg Blue Bombers @Wpg_BlueBombers  ·  18s

@Brent_Neill It was an accidental RT, the Tweet was brought to our attention and we were reviewing. Not an official comment by any means.

I would buy it, except the person who runs the Twitter account has been in trouble before for similar stuff.

In that case I guess it's not a bad way to get a comment like that out if that's how they really feel. Put it out there just long enough for everyone to retweet it, screenshot it, etc., then remove and say it was an accident.