Walters at 1pm

Floyd

short video about a minute 20 seconds long on the sun site. not much said tho. basically what was said here really already.

I highly doubt we trade down, actually... its highly unlikely teams would trade up with us... it makes no sense for them too.

everyone and their mother knows we need a center... why would montreal or bc gives us 2 picks for 2 picks from us. They are gaining nothing.

Pretty apparent ottawa takes lavertu or smith, pretty obvious wpg takes lavertu or goosen, edmonton will take one of goosen or foucault, montreal will take bailey.. bc will take a DL (whether that be smith or gill)

There is no need for those teams to move up 2 spots really... and dont forget, ottawa could take lavertu, we could trade our pick and then that team or edmonton could take the other center. Leaving us pretty much out of luck. We will take a center, its painfully obvious. Its lavertu or goosen. Mark it down boys, thats who it will be.

This all depends on what the word on Quinn Smith is... if he is rated better than Westerman, I think there's a lot of interest to trade up for #2 pick (then again, I would be wondering we we aren't picking him...)

Only reason to trade down is to still pick Goossen and another starting player - our NI depth is what will kill us this year.

short video about a minute 20 seconds long on the sun site. not much said tho. basically what was said here really already.

I highly doubt we trade down, actually... its highly unlikely teams would trade up with us... it makes no sense for them too.

everyone and their mother knows we need a center... why would montreal or bc gives us 2 picks for 2 picks from us. They are gaining nothing.

Pretty apparent ottawa takes lavertu or smith, pretty obvious wpg takes lavertu or goosen, edmonton will take one of goosen or foucault, montreal will take bailey.. bc will take a DL (whether that be smith or gill)

There is no need for those teams to move up 2 spots really... and dont forget, ottawa could take lavertu, we could trade our pick and then that team or edmonton could take the other center. Leaving us pretty much out of luck. We will take a center, its painfully obvious. Its lavertu or goosen. Mark it down boys, thats who it will be.

You'd think we learn by now that nothing in drafts is ever painfully obvious. There are always surprises.

This all depends on what the word on Quinn Smith is... if he is rated better than Westerman, I think there's a lot of interest to trade up for #2 pick (then again, I would be wondering we we aren't picking him...)

Only reason to trade down is to still pick Goossen and another starting player - our NI depth is what will kill us this year.

I just think its very obvious that lavertu goosen and foucault will go 1 2 and 3, maybe not that order but... ott wpg edmonton all need oline help badly. Pretty obvious montreal needs a receiver, bc probably would still get smith when they pick at 5 just based on needs really. I just dont see trades happening here. If anything maybe we trade a pick in next years draft (what about a first in next years draft for edmonton or bcs first in this years??? )  or first round 2015 for bcs 1st and 2nd rder this year or montreals. Think thats more likely then trading out of the 2 spot.

You'd think we learn by now that nothing in drafts is ever painfully obvious. There are always surprises.

true enough. Just looking at the needs of teams tho, ottawa? i dunno what they do, they could take lavertu or smith or foucault or heck someone else even, who knows. but wpg and edmonton will definitely be eyeing oline and think montreal takes bailey if ottawa doesnt. so i just dont see montreal at 4 or bc at 5 moving up a few spots and also going down a few spots (giving up their second rounder) to just move up to take a guy who in all liklihood (i understand surprises happen) is there when they are picking anyways. 

Again, I think everyone is over-estimating OL in this draft - Lavertu goes top two but everyone else could even drop to second round - look at the depth in other positions - if you want a receiver, you need Bailey, an RB has to be Coombs, DB - maybe two guys, LB - maybe two...  things are changing

K-Groh and Albright kind of have got me thinking Ottawa will go for Smith...  could be starting DT beside Shologan or a backup Guard if Deane gets injured...

Friesen continues to blow me away with his football acumen.

In his article about the 2nd overall pick today, he says he has no idea what else the Bombers could learn from flying in Lavertu and Goossen for private workouts that they didn't learn at the combine. It's almost as if he is entirely unaware this is a common practice in the NFL and while less common in the CFL, it's not new here either. Flying a guy in for a private workout gets you a lot more time with him than a 15 minute interview at the combine does, which is time you can devote to having him go over YOUR scheme with you. Sure, the combine can tell you if he's a good football player but a private workout can certainly give you more insight into whether or not he's a good fit for YOUR team.

In his article about the 2nd overall pick today, he says he has no idea what else the Bombers could learn from flying in Lavertu and Goossen for private workouts that they didn't learn at the combine. It's almost as if he is entirely unaware this is a common practice in the NFL and while less common in the CFL, it's not new here either. Flying a guy in for a private workout gets you a lot more time with him than a 15 minute interview at the combine does, which is time you can devote to having him go over YOUR scheme with you. Sure, the combine can tell you if he's a good football player but a private workout can certainly give you more insight into whether or not he's a good fit for YOUR team.

You know this, i know this, most of the forum knows it or grasps the concept....

And yet, one of our "leading" football scribes is baffled...sad, sad state of affairs..

That's not even football acumen, that's life acumen.  The more information/chances to evaluate before you have to make a decision, the better.

Would you rather look at a car, then have to decide to buy it or not, or get to drive it for a day with your friend who is a mechanic and then decide?

That's basically the scenario here, Wylie being the mechanic.

Friesen has zero redeeming qualities for me.  Not sure he's really appreciated by his peers either, how come he's never on the radio, either CJOB or TSN 1290?  Penton, Wiebe, Tait, even Wiecek get loads of radio time around the Jets and Bombers, can't say I've even heard Friesen's voice.

the rankings mean very little and always have, i mean guys like perrett and bourke were taken in the later rounds... then you got guys like dylan barker and chris bauman and im gonna say jade etienne who are taken high and fail. They mean very little. Each teams draft rankings im sure are different. 

Bombers might have it ranked 1. lavertu 2.goosen

we dont really know and never will know actually. 

BC tho could have it being 1.evan gill and 2. smith or vice versa

Montreal might rank the receiver bailey higher on their list then the oline guys..

Its a crapshoot man, there are no guaranteed picks here, this isnt the nfl or cfl where there is always a consesus #1 pick amongst GM'S.. you aint gonna get you a crosby or ovechkin or whoever in the cfl draft.

You draft for needs for sure if you are the bombers, we arent calgary or montreal, our depth sucks... its lacking signficantly in key positions.. mainly oline. I wasnt on here last year during the season but i lurked at times and i remember topics about how bad our oline sucks and how we need to improve it and how we need to do that through drafting them and its gonna take time, it aint gonna happen overnight. We need a center, we dont have a center.. Take a center. Trade down? lol, it takes 2 to do that and im not sure that teams below us would be ok with moving up a couple spots to get the guy they probably want who in all likeliness will be avaliable when they pick.. ASK yourself.. if you were montreal lets say... you probably want the receiver bailey, just going by their depth chart... well why would they trade pick 4 and probably pick 13 to say wpg for pick 2 and 20 or whatever our 3rd rd pick is. we dont have a 2nd rd pick... we dont really have assets to move. does that make sense for that team to do? seeing as tho its very likely with ottawa winnipeg and edmonton picking 1 2 and 3  that the guy montreal prob wants the most will prob be there at 4? 

Holy Jumpin'. Paul Friesen is a moron. Some of those questions he was asking, unreal. Are they concerned Willy struggled at mini camp? What the heck, was friesen even in Florida at the camp? I dont think he was so what  gives him the right to ask that question. You can almost see the disgust on walters face every time friesen asks a question.

Were only 2 guys at the press conference cuz all i heard was questions from 2 guys, one was decent( who is that guy?? is that wiebe??)

Friesen was just pathetic as usual. If anyone didnt think Friesen was a moron before, just listen to the press conference. The guy is a huge troll and really has no idea. 

Starting to think these PC's would be better if the media just submitted a bunch of questions before hand, and then walters answered the best of the bunch. Some of these questions, Makes me shake my head and wonder how this guy has a job. 

The rankings are meaningless.

If Bob Wylie and the coaching staff think Goossen can come in and start for us in year one, then he is worth the second overall pick. That's really all there is to it. That's why they brought him in for a workout instead of just searching "scouting bureau rankings" on Google.