Bombers Reject Rabb for Board of Directors

Nasty Nate

You just can't stand it when someone questions you, eh Jacquie? I don't care about the Herald story you quote as it was just speculation at the time by some guy named Sean Myers. I subscribe to the Herald & my response is, who the hell is Sean Myers? He doesn't write about the Stamps & never did. He probably is a junior reporter covering for Al Cameron the regular Stampeder beat writer at that time on that particular day.

In the article, former Stamps owner John Forzani didn't say he talked with Bauer. He didn't say he hired him. All he said was he knew him & that he was a qualified candidate at the time the story was published & was interested in talking to him. There might have been 10 people that Forzani knew that he wanted to talk to that were also qualified. It was two lines at the very bottom of a story about Scott Ackles.There was no proof or anything Earth shattering in that story saying Lyle Bauer would be the next Stampeders President. Or that he resigned from the Bombers to go directly to the Stampeders.

The guy resigned from the Bombers 3 days before under suspicious circumstances. He was a high profile CFL exec suddenly out on the street looking for a job so naturally his name would come up in a question by the reporter to Forzani. Like I said, the rumour mill started weeks later when the actual hiring process took place. That's  when the real  Lyle Bauer rumours started out here.

Sure, the Stamps ultimately hired him to  run the business side of the team but so what? Where in that story did it say Forzani had already hired Bauer? He was just another name "out there" under consideration at the time. But carry on Jacquie as you know sooooo much. Besides, who the hell cares? Bauer isn't even with the Stamps or in the CFL anymore.

The reporter was out  on a fishing trip that day throwing out a line to see what he could catch.

You just can't stand it when someone questions you, eh Jacquie? I don't care about the Herald story you quote as it was just speculation at the time by some guy named Sean Myers. I subscribe to the Herald & my response is, who the hell is Sean Myers? He doesn't write about the Stamps & never did. He probably is a junior reporter covering for Al Cameron the regular Stampeder beat writer at that time on that particular day.

In the article, former Stamps owner John Forzani didn't say he talked with Bauer. He didn't say he hired him. All he said was he knew him & that he was a qualified candidate at the time the story was published & was interested in talking to him. There might have been 10 people that Forzani knew that he wanted to talk to that were also qualified. It was two lines at the very bottom of a story about Scott Ackles.There was no proof or anything Earth shattering in that story saying Lyle Bauer would be the next Stampeders President. Or that he resigned from the Bombers to go directly to the Stampeders.

The guy resigned from the Bombers 3 days before under suspicious circumstances. He was a high profile CFL exec suddenly out on the street looking for a job so naturally his name would come up in a question by the reporter to Forzani. Like I said, the rumour mill started weeks later when the actual hiring process took place. That's  when the real  Lyle Bauer rumours started out here.

Sure, the Stamps ultimately hired him to  run the business side of the team but so what? Where in that story did it say Forzani had already hired Bauer? He was just another name "out there" under consideration at the time. But carry on Jacquie as you know sooooo much. Besides, who the hell cares? Bauer isn't even with the Stamps or in the CFL anymore.

The reporter was out  on a fishing trip that day throwing out a line to see what he could catch.

Dude... she's not claiming she "knows so much" and she's not saying Bauer was definitely hired already (even though we'll never know what "handshake" deals were in place long before any formal announcements). She's using links to actual stories to prove that the Bauer-to-Stamps rumours started BEFORE he left the Bombers (see: Ed Tait article) and then using links to actual stories to prove that there was at least some Bauer-to-Stamps talk in the Calgary media shortly after he left the Bombers.

Those are both facts. They're not Jacquie making stuff up. They're real newspaper articles written by real newspaper reporters. It's irrelevant who wrote them (and that you don't care about them because of who wrote them). The point is, they were written, so the idea that there was talk wasn't made up, regardless of who was doing the talking. (And frankly, if Ed Tait circa 2009 is hearing rumours in the CFL and printing them, they're almost certainly coming from some place legitimate -- which, surprise surprise, they turned out to be!)

Also, why must you make blanket statements like, "You just can't stand it when someone questions you, eh Jacquie?" It's rude and extremely condescending, even more so based on the fact that you weren't actually questioning her, but questioning the validity of the news articles she was presenting. She made up exactly 0% of what you're accusing her of making up.

Kelly was not even charged eventually and yet people STILL say he beat the chick, blah blah blah...

If he truly beat her up like people keep claiming, anger management wouldnt have been his only real punishment..

Juas sayin' villify him for his on field failures but cut the guy some slack, crazy broad cried foul and the justice system managed to put 2 and 2 together..

Oh yes, dont get me wrong.  I think Kelly was raked over the coals for an unfortunate incident that sounded a lot like a non-violent fight between two adults.  If Kelly was someone other than Kelly, the Bombers might have stood by him.  But this was the final nail in his coffin and you cant really blame the BoD.  But I have nothing against Kelly personally.  I think he let the power of his dream job go to his head and when the expected success didnt come, he had no clue how to handle it.  Id like to blame Bauer a bit for not giving Kelly more support.  It was obvious pretty early that he needed some lessons in managerial professionalism and PR.

On the flip side you have whatshisname who tried to get funky with his teenage babysitter and people still want to hire him. 

Also, why must you make blanket statements like, "You just can't stand it when someone questions you, eh Jacquie?" It's rude and extremely condescending, even more so based on the fact that you weren't actually questioning her, but questioning the validity of the news articles she was presenting. She made up exactly 0% of what you're accusing her of making up.

Why, because it is true. All that story from the Herald showed was that a reporter asked a question to former Stamps owner John Forzani about hiring Lyle Bauer who had just quit the Bombers. He was non committal saying he knew him & he has the qualifications for the job but that the hiring process was just beginning. He didn't say at all that he was going to hire him. Nothing in those 2 lines at the bottom of the story indicated he was already working for the Stamps at the time. I've said that I follow the Stamps quite closely.

When that particular story came out those 2 lines caused barely a ripple of reaction in Calgary. It was only when it was becoming apparent that Bauer was indeed going to be hired by the Stamps a few weeks later did people start to take notice. I can tell you the reaction by Stamps fans on Bauer's hire was one of concern. Concern that Bauer would push Huff out & eventually run the Stampeders.

I made a comment saying that there weren't many rumours of the Bauer hiring when he left the Bombers. There's Jacquie quoting Ed Tait & some reporter named Seth Myers. It feels like this is a competition with her.That I have to prove my point. I live here in Calgary. I post on CFL Horsemen. I talk to Stamps fans everyday & have for years. I recall the discussion when Bauer got hired.

On December 17, 2009 there was virtually no talk of Bauer coming here. Maybe speculation was happening in Winnipeg but not here that day. I can tell you that local broadcasters & journalists here who have Stamps connections in the organization would have known if Bauer had already been hired or not if it had happened. They would have broken the story. All they said was that it looks like Bauer is under consideration for a senior executive position with the Stamps. Now, it turned out that he was eventually hired. Did he have a private handshake with Forzani when the story came out? Who knows as maybe he did. But 4 1/2 years later why is it so important to be right? 

This is one of the dumbest arguments ive ever seen on mbb.. And we have seen some dooooozies.

For once I agree. Who cares?

Evidently...you do ;)

Holomon, I just care enough to know that there never was any speculation that Bauer was ever offered a job by the Stamps BEFORE they announced the hire. Stories, sure but leaving Winnipeg because he had a job offer in Calgary? That's all I'm saying. A couple of stories in a newspaper won't change that especially when the subject was never discussed in Calgary by the media when he was hired or during his time here. Evidently, Winnipeggers do care, though.

His resignation from the Bombers had to be some kind of conspiracy thing. What else could it be, right??? He didn't quit because his hiring of Kelly blew up on him. Or that he fired three previous head coaches yet he wore teflon  suits. That couldn't be it. Maybe the Board was ready to fire him, as well? That couldn't be it. No, he quit because the Stamps gave him a better offer while he was still under contract to the Bombers. That has to be it, then. Sure, conspiracy theories everywhere.

Well, as it turned out.... he came to Calgary & was put strictly on the business side to run things. He had absolutely no say in the operations on the on the football side of the team as that was clearly John Hufnagel's baby. Lyle's main job was to sell season tickets & he didn't do it well. During his time here the numbers tumbled. He admitted when he was hired that he had very few business connections with Corporate Calgary in the skyscrapers downtown. Doing so would take time.

When the Stamps bought the team they recreated the President position. The  job may have been Bauer's to have but we don't know  if the Flames wanted to keep him. We do know that he did not want to answer to Flames President Ken King so he resigned. At least that's how it played out here. 

Bauer never attained the power he had in Winnipeg. I don't know what John Forzani promised him as far as his responsibilities were ultimately going to be when they hired him but they were nowhere near what he had in Winnipeg & I am sure he was frustrated. When the Flames bought the team he would have been a subordinate under King had he been hired as the new Stampeder President. 

I just care enough to know that there never was any speculation that Bauer was ever offered a job by the Stamps BEFORE they announced the hire. That's all I'm saying. A couple of stories in a newspaper won't change that especially when the subject was never discussed in Calgary by the media when he was hired or during his time here. 

You realize that you're being stupid about this right? Ed Tait puts it in print that the rumours are there, that's one of the most respected and plugged in football reporters in the country hearing things about it why on earth are you still arguing this when you've been proven wrong? There is a time and a place to just accept that you were mistaken and move on you know. 

Holomon, I just care enough to know that there never was any speculation that Bauer was ever offered a job by the Stamps BEFORE they announced the hire. Stories, sure but leaving Winnipeg because he had a job offer in Calgary? That's all I'm saying. A couple of stories in a newspaper won't change that especially when the subject was never discussed in Calgary by the media when he was hired or during his time here. Evidently, Winnipeggers do care, though.

Obviously there was speculation otherwise there would have been no rumours since that is essentially what a rumour is - speculation. If you want to say the rumours weren't true, fine that's your opinion but to say there were no rumours or speculation is just being argumentative.

Obviously there was speculation otherwise there would have been no rumours since that is essentially what a rumour is - speculation. If you want to say the rumours weren't true, fine that's your opinion but to say there were no rumours or speculation is just being argumentative.

just-the-facts-ma-am-t-shirts_design.png………………………..Just the facts

I'm saying there was little or no speculation here in Calgary when Bauer left the Bombers that he had already been hired by the Stamps. Why can't you understand that? Sure there were stories in Winnipeg after Bauer left that he was walking into a new position in Calgary. Those stories have never been substantiated. When the hiring process for the Stamps actually got underway then we started hearing more about Bauer. On December 17, 2009 he wasn't being touted for anything. By the end of December & first week of January 2010 he was. Then he was hired mid January. Did he already have a job with the Stamps on December 17, 2009? Only Lyle Bauer, John Forzani & Ted Hellard know & they will  never talk.