NHL Playoffs 2014

Under rated team by a lot of people. Much more talent there than people give them credit for. Lots of Nashville fans used to swear that Suter was the better defenceman than Weber. Koivu is just a good all around hockey player, Pomminville is a good solid hockey player who is better than he gets credit for as well, they have a lot of good young players. A classic case of a team that no one gives a damn about so they don't realize how good they can be. 

Under rated team by a lot of people. Much more talent there than people give them credit for. Lots of Nashville fans used to swear that Suter was the better defenceman than Weber. Koivu is just a good all around hockey player, Pomminville is a good solid hockey player who is better than he gets credit for as well, they have a lot of good young players. A classic case of a team that no one gives a damn about so they don't realize how good they can be. 

He hasn't been in the playoffs, but I agree he's generally a very underrated player.

Imagine how good they'd be in they had Harding healthy and back in net.

If Minnesota can lock down Toews and Kane and somehow squeeze the first goal tomorrow they should be able to tie the series 2-2. Chicago finally seems to be a bit exhausted and had to take the 3rd period of the 3rd game off - where they gave out and Minny scored 4 goals on Crawford.

Hats off to Wild. I started to believe. Great fans in Minnesota.

My precious Pens eliminated. Do they blow it up now?

Still in first place in my pool but not sure I can hang on.

Other than Dapper Danny Bylesma getting axed in a few days how do you blow up Sid & Malkin? It was kinda creepy watching Sid play last nite - looked like a small Andrew Ladd - a plodder at best!

My precious Pens eliminated. Do they blow it up now?

The coach has to go, but I wouldn't do much to the core. Malkin should stay put. TSN was talking about how the Pens should trade him, but how do you get equal value back for a guy like that? The only big move I'd make with the core would be to trade Fleury. The loss wasn't his fault, but he still needs to go. It will take an excuse away from the team. Send him to Vancouver for Lack & Kassian. Get Elliott in FA and that would be a pretty good 1A-1B duo to have.

I'd also let Orpik & Niskanen walk. Orpik is becoming beaten down thanks to his style of play & Niskanen will want too much money.

They'll probably try to trade for Kesler again in the offseason, but I'd rather they make a pitch for Hanzal from Phoenix. He's younger, bigger, cheaper, & nasty. He's exactly what they need IMO.

Crosby was healthy which means his issues were mental.  He looked beaten down.  He looked like a guy who just couldnt be the guy to take a team that wasnt good enough and put it on his shoulders.  He's no Mario, thats for sure (but who is).  He looked mentally finished.  And also, people say he's a whiner, but is there a guy who is the victim of more non-calls then Crosby?  When they isocam him, he's taking head shots, vicious cross checks, holding etc etc etc.  No calls.  And the Pens dont have the players to make people pay for taking liberties with him.

They need better depth on the wing, they need grit and nastiness.  They need better D.  Orpik's days have come and gone.  Niskanen is good but he will want a big raise and will get it somewhere.  Letang is an interesting case.  Big contract, but big scorer.  Do you trade him, save the money and have a more blue-collar D?

I think they keep Fleury because he played mostly very well (wasnt his fault), he's a close friend of Crosby's.  I would suspect they resist "blowing it up" with a big move but Malkin being traded isnt the worst idea if only because of the return.  if you keep them both, you need to make some changes to allow for better depth in the bottom nine, another top six winger and better D on the bottom end.

I agree re grit. I'd like to see a headcase like Kassian or Steve Downie (who's a pending UFA) on the team to keep people honest. When we won in 2009 we were a borderline dirty team. We were definitely missing any hint of team toughness this season.

The bottom 6 sucks. I'd like us to load up in FA on guys like Kulemin, Fiddler, Downie, Winnik, etc. Guys with some combination of grit, size, and/or defensive ability. Add my boy Hanzal & that bottom 6 becomes a strength, not a weakness. No more Taylor Pyatts...

I think next season is the year they start using some of their young guys on D. Harrington & Dumoulin are probably both ready to play in the NHL. Hopefully one of them can take Scuderi's job.

Crosby takes a lot of **** on the ice and it can get to him. He needs some better support because if he gets frustrated by what is happening on ice then he can't be expected to carry a couple stiffs all over the ice. Or just get someone on his line who will take care of the people taking pot shots at the guy. 

Crosby takes a lot of **** on the ice and it can get to him. He needs some better support because if he gets frustrated by what is happening on ice then he can't be expected to carry a couple stiffs all over the ice. Or just get someone on his line who will take care of the people taking pot shots at the guy. 

That crosscheck he took in the back of the head from Staal should have been a suspension and he didn't even get a minor.

He tears it up in the regular season b/c the refs adhere to the rulebook. When it's inexplicably tossed away in the playoffs he gets mugged and loses his cool. He's too emotional and doesn't play nearly as well when he's mad. The garbage he has to put up with is what makes me want the Pens to pick up somebody with a healthy dose of crazy in their game. Maybe the thought of playing against a guy who wouldn't think twice about putting Lundquist in the hospital would stop Staal from doing something stupid like that.

And to be honest, I dont really blame him.  It must be frustrating for him to be the most talented player in the game and yet the NHL allows him to be victimized repeatedly.  They preach that they want exciting hockey where the talented players can show off their talent, and then in the playoffs, he gets mugged.

Im not making him out to be a victim.  Other superstars rise to the occasion and Sid has before too.  But then add into that he likely skates around, gets a cross check to the head (after suffering a very serious concussion previously) and sees no one on his team stepping up for him.  He sees guys not going into the dirty areas, not hauling ass, and he's expected to be dominant at both ends of the ice.  And when the team faulters, its always him under the microscope.  Now, Im not saying "Poor Sid".  He's rich beyond belief and chose this life but I understand his frustration.

That crosscheck he took in the back of the head from Staal should have been a suspension and he didn't even get a minor.

Yes, you're right.

That was a rough shift for Crosby.

It's true, even Don Cherry points out how over the top it is and he's about as big a "suck it up" guy as there is. 

That being said the days of having an enforcer play with your star player are over so I think the best course of action is put someone else on Crosbys wing that can do damage on their own and give teams someone else to worry about out there. 

not sure why crosby takes heat, guess cuz of the 1 goal but he did put up 9 points. 

Where was james neal or kunitz? they seemed to be MIA.

Hard to blame fleury when you cant score 2 goals.

Pens were at home on home ice, 3rd time they lost a game 7 on home ice in like 5 years, This isn't new.

Pittsburgh isn't really built for the playoffs, they are  built for the regular season it seems tho.

Letang is your top d man and while he is very good offensively, he is a liability in his defensive zone. 

Pens have lots of issues, it's not just the coach. If this was the first time it happened, sure maybe you can blame the coach but... 3rd time in last 5 seasons or so they lost game 7 at home. Time for those pens players to look in the mirror a wee bit.

Just want to add, perhaps this is part of the problem when you have crosby malkin and a guy like letang getting paid huge bucks, you leave no room for any depth. 

not sure why crosby takes heat, guess cuz of the 1 goal but he did put up 9 points. 

Because when you're the best player in the world the bar is simply set higher. 

I agree that the way that team is built is flawed. Letang is a good offensive defenseman, but they really do need someone better in their 1D slot, someone who you can rely on to settle things down if need be and Letang just isn't good enough defensively. Perhaps some of their younger prospects can get there but they ain't there yet. Crosby and Malkin at centre is great, but they still need some wingers who are worth a damn for them to play with. 

all class for sure, hard to believe that guy is a father. Saw on his tweeter a day or so ago he posted that his little girl is happy for the game, ready to go. 

What a great example he is setting. 

What a dbag really lucic, that whole boston team tho is full of dbags, marchand is another one

Not a fan of the habs but... i'm happy for them cuz i can't stand boston.

LOL, side note, anyone see the pic of the bell centre the other night, game 6? they must have a tim hortons or something there, all the Dohnuts were sold out except for Boston Cream. Funny stuff.

Because when you're the best player in the world the bar is simply set higher. 

I agree that the way that team is built is flawed. Letang is a good offensive defenseman, but they really do need someone better in their 1D slot, someone who you can rely on to settle things down if need be and Letang just isn't good enough defensively. Perhaps some of their younger prospects can get there but they ain't there yet. Crosby and Malkin at centre is great, but they still need some wingers who are worth a damn for them to play with. 

Neal & Kunitz are fine in the top 6. Neal sucked in the playoffs, but he was one of the best players in the league over the last few seasons. Kunitz, Dupuis, & Crosby play well together. People say it's only b/c of Crosby, but nobody on their right wing wrapped themselves in glory once Dupuis went down for the season. Dupuis certainly isn't in their league offensively, but he's really fast & good defensively.

I wished at the time that the Pens would have let Letang walk, or traded his rights for a pick, rather than sign that big deal. A guy like that is a luxury, not a necessity. Their pp worked just fine with Martin & Niskanen running it.

I guess what he said was "Ill f'n kill you next season" which isnt so much a threat within the context of "killing you next season" is not OJ Simpson style but kill them on the ice (I assume).  But utterly classless.  For a team that has won before and had so many losing teams line up and shake their hands, the arrogance and bitterness from these guys is ridiculous.

Montreal was exceptional in frustrating the bruins, getting under their skin and then using the disrespectful response to motivate themselves.

Bruins expected to win.  Boston Wrong.