NHL Playoffs 2014

Marleau and Thornton are probably not going anywhere except a buyout or maybe a bottom feeder like NYI or Florida... maybe Toronto...?

Marleau and Thornton locked in at $7 million a season until 38-39 years old, San Jose doesn't have capspace to retain salary

I don't think San Jose would blow it up but they might see if they can get some big value for guys like Thornton or Marleau and just run with Pavelski and Couture. 

Why would they blow up a team that does so well in the reg. season and takes a great team like LA to a 7th game?

The irony is folks like you tell Chevy & Chipman to be patient and keep returning deadbeat players to the roster. At the same time you exhort a successful organization like San Jose to 'blow it up'....

San Jose has been doing the exact same thing for years now and they keep coming up with the exact same result. Their formula obviously does not work for playoff hockey. They don't need to blow it up, they need to tinker with what they have that makes them successful so that they can take the next step. Sometimes a step down is necessary in order to be able to make strides going forward.

They won't blow it up is my guess.

If I was offered Dinky Joe (Thornton) for Kane I wouldn't take it. 

Thornton and SJ's first round pick - maybe? but Thornton at 7 mill. is an even bigger drag on salary than Kane at 6.

Thornton just has better regular season leadership qualities and could be a monster assist man with Kane or Wheeler as his wing-man.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=451046

Unbelievable. Just about a week ago, people were going after the clippers owner for saying things not as bad as what some of these keyboard warriors said.

Just sad that this is still the case in 2014. Racism is alive and well and people who pretend that guys like subban simmonds and kane dont have to deal with it on a daily basis are part of the problem. They shouldn't have to deal with this at all.

Wonder how PK's brother Malcolm feels about this, he is a boston prospect. 

Marleau and Thornton traded for the Sedins...  callin' it.

It's funny you said that b/c I was taking about this with a friend of mine yesterday. It's basically a lateral move, but it would give both groups a breath of fresh air.

Lateral my ass. Thornton and Marleau are way better players than the Sedins. 

It's funny you said that b/c I was taking about this with a friend of mine yesterday. It's basically a lateral move, but it would give both groups a breath of fresh air.

Yes. In a battle of regular season slitherers Marleau & Dinky Joe are superior. The Sisters are just about gassed.

Without question they were this season. Take a five year sample & they're not though. We'll see how they look again without Torts at the helm.

Without question they were this season. Take a five year sample & they're not though. We'll see how they look again without Torts at the helm.

I don't care how many points the Sedins put up, Thornton is a better player if only because of how damned big he is and Marleau has a lot more well rounded game than either of the sisters. Anyone who seriously thinks the Sedins are on the same level is crazy in my opinion. 

I don't care how many points the Sedins put up, Thornton is a better player if only because of how damned big he is and Marleau has a lot more well rounded game than either of the sisters. Anyone who seriously thinks the Sedins are on the same level is crazy in my opinion. 

What's the point of being big if you fade in the last four games of every important series?  Just like having scoring touch that doesn't show up in the playoffs...

All of these guys have contracts that no one will touch - at least a change of scenery might spark something

I guess I've more or less been on the "Sisters" backs throughout their careers too but there's no denying their talent.  Though I have certainly noticed when doing regular season pools, they are easy first/second round selections but farther down when we do Playoff pools.  Joe is always taken high in both cases.

Im very intrigued by the Sharks' situation.  On one hand, they are a proto-typical franchise - they built a very talented and successful team that wins year after year, always makes the playoffs etc.  There has been "excuses" in the past where they ran into a hot team or narrowly lost a tough series or whatever but the bottom line is, they just dont win in the playoffs.  At some point, they are going to have to adjust their team to win in the post season.  Does that mean trading Joe?  Maybe...

I suspect that the Sharks biggest problem this year was Vlasic getting hurt. I think they have tremendous depth at forward but their D is a little bit weaker overall and they just couldn't overcome the loss of one of their best. 

Sharks biggest problem was they couldn't score goals. That's the reason. The stats in that series backs it up. First 3 games they scored like 15 or was it 17 goals? last 4 they scored 5 goals. Can blame the D, can blame the goalie but if you can't score you arent going to win. This isn't a new thing with San Jose either, it's what they do every year.

Sharks biggest problem was they couldn't score goals. That's the reason. The stats in that series backs it up. First 3 games they scored like 15 or was it 17 goals? last 4 they scored 5 goals. Can blame the D, can blame the goalie but if you can't score you arent going to win. This isn't a new thing with San Jose either, it's what they do every year.

On the other hand the Kings make their living by playing with the puck in their opponents zone and not letting them have it. If you lose some of your ability to take the puck away from them in your own zone then it's hard to score when you're chasing them around the defensive zone right?

didnt vlasic get injured in game 6? but yeah i suppose that's an excuse that could be used, or the sharks are just good in the regular season and choke when it matters. It's not like this is the first time they dominated the regular season and choked. 

Just for the record, i am a sharks fan, i loved the sharks b4 the Jets came back, They were cool. I just think they don't have what it takes to take that next step. Its too bad cuz i'd love to see them actually win the cup but.... it's quite apparent that the current group just can't get it done.

Good in the regular season, they don't have that extra gear tho in the playoffs.