NHL Playoffs 2014

Bruins expected to win.  Boston Wrong.

Good one, but you forgot to thump your chest.

BBB, the big bad Bruins were tamed and Lucic should have taken a lesson from Chara who embraced PK Suban…they were total on-ice enemies - that showed sportsmanship.

Lucic now is a BUB, a big ugly Bruin.

All you have to do to deal with a guy like Lucic saying that in the handshake line is wish him a good summer and tell him that you hope he gets in some good golf games. He's a sore loser, nothing hurts more than reminding him that he lost. 

Crosby takes a lot of **** on the ice and it can get to him. He needs some better support because if he gets frustrated by what is happening on ice then he can't be expected to carry a couple stiffs all over the ice. Or just get someone on his line who will take care of the people taking pot shots at the guy. 

That crosscheck he took in the back of the head from Staal should have been a suspension and he didn't even get a minor.

He tears it up in the regular season b/c the refs adhere to the rulebook. When it's inexplicably tossed away in the playoffs he gets mugged and loses his cool. He's too emotional and doesn't play nearly as well when he's mad. The garbage he has to put up with is what makes me want the Pens to pick up somebody with a healthy dose of crazy in their game. Maybe the thought of playing against a guy who wouldn't think twice about putting Lundquist in the hospital would stop Staal from doing something stupid like that.

I actually see it different. I think playoff games nowadays are called more closely than they have every been. Yes missed calls still happen which is frustrating, but at least refs whistles usually still work when the game is close in the later stages of the game.  

And to be honest, I dont really blame him.  It must be frustrating for him to be the most talented player in the game and yet the NHL allows him to be victimized repeatedly.  They preach that they want exciting hockey where the talented players can show off their talent, and then in the playoffs, he gets mugged.

Im not making him out to be a victim.  Other superstars rise to the occasion and Sid has before too.  But then add into that he likely skates around, gets a cross check to the head (after suffering a very serious concussion previously) and sees no one on his team stepping up for him.  He sees guys not going into the dirty areas, not hauling ass, and he's expected to be dominant at both ends of the ice.  And when the team faulters, its always him under the microscope.  Now, Im not saying "Poor Sid".  He's rich beyond belief and chose this life but I understand his frustration.

Sid is my favourite NHL player (PK a close second) but even I have to admit he doesn't have the strength or speed he once did to fend off attackers and abusers. The concussions obviously took their toll and the cumulative impact of the jaw surgeries, etc. have slowed him enough that a few NHL checkers/abusers can have their way with him. He's still good for 80 to 100 pts. in the relatively safe environs of the NHL exhibition season (aka 82 game exhibition season) but he's relatively easy to control in rugged intense close-checking playoffs. Especially vs. muggers like Philly, Boston, etc. He'd have an easier time with Winnipeg, Anaheim, Tampa, etc. where they don't mark guys that closely.

If he's slower and weaker and still the best player in the game it tells you a lot about his talent.

Sid probably has more natural talent than Gretzky but Wayne had monsters flanking him and had a credit card to avoid regular abuse - even in playoffs. Sidney doesn't have that luxury - more the fault of guys like Shero & Byylesma, probably explains why both guys will be gone from the Pens organization by mid-June.

If he's slower and weaker and still the best player in the game it tells you a lot about his talent.

Sid probably has more natural talent than Gretzky but Wayne had monsters flanking him and had a credit card to avoid regular abuse - even in playoffs. Sidney doesn't have that luxury - more the fault of guys like Shero & Byylesma, probably explains why both guys will be gone from the Pens organization by mid-June.

Don't say stupid **** Nate.

also blues resign elliot and say that miller is done is st louis, look for miller to end up in california somewhere. His wife is an actress and is based out of california, could see him signing with the ducks or sharks.

Both teams have pretty good goaltending situations though. How's this for a thought... MIller to Vancouver. It's pretty close the California and in the same time zone and all that and they happen to have a gap at the goaltending position. 

Not sure id rank Sid ahead of Wayne in natural talent. Hard to compare with sid being a more complete player. But 99 didn't set every record because he has some enforcers riding shotgun. Besides which the most naturally gifted player of all time was Mario. A healthy Mario playing every game breaks the big records.

Have to disagree on that one, Nate. Gretzky had eyes in the back of his head, had great anticipation & could clearly see the ice like no other player before or since. The only guy who came close was Mario but even then he wasn't as gifted as Wayne. Not only could Gretz see all the ice at all times & anticipate ahead of the play he had a goal scorers touch. His 92 goals in one season attests to that. If Wayne Gretzky was in his prime playing today with 2 quality wingers he'd still score 50 plus goals & nearly 150 points. Sid is a great player but not like Gretzky or Mario. The other thing, I wouldn't call Jarri Kurri a monster, would you? And Gretz didn't always play with Dave Cement Head...

I admit Gretzky is the NHL's all-time greatest in terms of ice-vision, smarts and scoring accuracy (for a top 10 player anyways).

My comment about Sid mostly referred to Sid being a stronger skater than Wayne, more powerful drive off his skates from start and probably a stronger slapper.

We were lucky to be in awe of 99 til he was nearly 37. Bobby Orr was toast by 27/28. Mario had a brilliant but injury-riddled career. I suspect Sid may call it a day before he's 30.

There's only two players in hockey history who have demonstrated excellence between 40 and 50. Those being Gordie Howe and Chris Chelios. Bobby Hull had a nice long career (age 18 to 40) but he suddenly broke down physically between 39 and 40.

Would Selanne rank as an excellent 40+ year old player?  31 goals and 80 points as a 40 year old.

Teemu was a great player but a winger. Pure goal scorer in his prime but not a playmaker. His rookie season was one for the ages, though. And he was a Jet, not a Duck when he did it.

Nate said there were only two players who were excellent between ages 40 and 50. I'm suggesting Selanne should be consisted too.

how many players even played in that age group tho? a handful at best probably.

off the top of my head.. howe,chellios,teemu... they would all be considered excellent, quite honestly, anyone playing pro hockey at that age should  be considered an excellent player.

Johnny Bower, Jacques Plante & Hasek were goalers who played into their 40s and played very, very well

Nobody comes close to Gordon Howe who played very good hockey at 50 or 51. and some great hockey in the WHA between the ages of 45 and 49.

Teemu had a great season at 40 as UP points out but has faded after that so he might be the next guy after Howe & Chelios.

Other guys off the top of my head who played some great hockey after 40 - Doug Harvey, JC Tremblay, Norm Ullman.

Howe could still play at 50 because of the talent level in the NHL in 1979. As I said, there weren't enough quality players for all the NHL teams back then after the merger. Some of those starting NHL goalies couldn't make an AHL squad if they were playing now.