NHL Playoffs 2014

A thread for all playoff discussions.\

So Im out last night and the Ducks/Stars game is on but Im not paying much attention to it.  I see the score is 4-2 but for some reason I thought it was the 3rd period winding down (I guess it was the 2nd).

So awhile later, people in the bar cheer and I look up at the game and I shrug and say to the person I was with 'must be a replay, not sure why anyone is getting excited'.  Ofcourse, I was wrong and the Ducks mounted the come from behind victory.

Personally, Im cheering for an all Water Fowl Final.  Ducks vs Pens.  But for the purposes of my pool, I need the Avs to go all the way.

Thinking the Rangers will make a run.

I can't see the Rangers making a run all the way but that would be cool and surprise a lot of teams.

*****As an aside - just heard you are the  flag raiser at the Bomber home Opener. Congratulations!

How cool is that?

A thread for all playoff discussions.\

So Im out last night and the Ducks/Stars game is on but Im not paying much attention to it.  I see the score is 4-2 but for some reason I thought it was the 3rd period winding down (I guess it was the 2nd).

It was the 3rd period - Ducks tied it with 24 seconds left in the third and won it in OT.

Not really paying that much attention to most games, no teams i really like besides the blackhawks are in it anymore... i was pulling for a team like columbus, just would have been cool to see them atleast get by the pens.

But i will say this, the reffing in 2 games ive watched has been absolutely terrible. The non call against the avs for  basically tackling the wild player when the avs had noone in net and then 2 seconds later, the missed offside. Brutal. Then tonight san jose vs la, not blaming the refs for the sharks choking, thats what they do but that second goal where stalock was pushed in the net was garbage.

Sharks would have lost anyways but still... brutal call.

Will also add, been watching the colorado minny series and, i dunno, that is one heck of an exciting series. Everyone talks about how minny plays such a boring defensive style of hockey, i dunno if its cuz they playing the high tempo ultra talented avs but... man thats been probably the best series so far.

Very exciting. Annoying that next round we will see another all california matchup. Not a fan of the california teams at all.

Sharks gonna lose game 7 so we gonna get kings vs ducks.... i think im gonna make a prediction of avs vs habs final (lol not gonna happen) (but that would probably be the best series storyline wise) honestly, im gonna say boston vs chicago final.

Will also add, been watching the colorado minny series and, i dunno, that is one heck of an exciting series. Everyone talks about how minny plays such a boring defensive style of hockey, i dunno if its cuz they playing the high tempo ultra talented avs but... man thats been probably the best series so far.

yeah people are still caught up in the trap hype but the Wild actually play a pretty quick game these days. Lots of people simply don't care about that team and for good reason, but they got some skill there. That series has been great watching just because it's so back and forth with very little to choose between the teams.

The Sharks vs. Kings series has just been great hockey. Sure there's been some blow outs but the push back by the Kings overall and the pushback within the game from each team has just been amazing. Momentum is really the deciding factor. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed the opening round of the playoffs this much. 

Then tonight san jose vs la, not blaming the refs for the sharks choking, thats what they do but that second goal where stalock was pushed in the net was garbage.

Sharks would have lost anyways but still... brutal call.

I didn't like it either but with the way the rule is written I'm not sure they could have called it differently.

The goalie was pushed but it wasn't overly egregious.  Bad call, sure.  But everyone benefits and suffers from bad calls at some point.  The Sharks certainly cant blame anyone for blowing a 3-0 game lead.  Its a great story and I'd love to see the Kings win the series.  I have a feeling the Sharks overwhelm them and dominate Game 7 but you never know.

Hard not to cheer for Teemu and the Ducks (and I've got Getzlaf in my pool).  And I'm an unapologetic Pens fan.  Victory in my pool requires the Avs advance though and I'm worried about that Wild team.

The Sharks vs. Kings series has just been great hockey. Sure there's been some blow outs but the push back by the Kings overall and the pushback within the game from each team has just been amazing. Momentum is really the deciding factor. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed the opening round of the playoffs this much. 

Totally the best series so far.

A goalie jumping Thornton, imagine that.

That seventh game is going to be awesome.

My prediction?….a tie.

I have two Flyers and one Ranger in my pool.  My one Ranger is Brad Richards and my flyers are Timmonen and Couture.  So I'd just as soon the Rangers win this series.  Also, while I think the Rangers are the better team, I think the Flyers would be more "up" for a series against the Pens.  And I dont like that.  Go Pens!

I have two Flyers and one Ranger in my pool.  My one Ranger is Brad Richards and my flyers are Timmonen and Couture.  So I'd just as soon the Rangers win this series.  Also, while I think the Rangers are the better team, I think the Flyers would be more "up" for a series against the Pens.  And I dont like that.  Go Pens!

Go Pens indeed. I hate the Flyers so much it scares me a little. I just want to punch Giroux in his smug face.

I don't think San Jose would blow it up but they might see if they can get some big value for guys like Thornton or Marleau and just run with Pavelski and Couture. 

Why would they blow up a team that does so well in the reg. season and takes a great team like LA to a 7th game?

The irony is folks like you tell Chevy & Chipman to be patient and keep returning deadbeat players to the roster. At the same time you exhort a successful organization like San Jose to 'blow it up'....

I don't think San Jose would blow it up but they might see if they can get some big value for guys like Thornton or Marleau and just run with Pavelski and Couture. 

Why would they blow up a team that does so well in the reg. season and takes a great team like LA to a 7th game?

The irony is folks like you tell Chevy & Chipman to be patient and keep returning deadbeat players to the roster. At the same time you exhort a successful organization like San Jose to 'blow it up'....

San Jose has been a contender for years and keeps choking in the playoffs and unlike WInnipeg they have amazing depth. I'm not saying blow it up, I'm saying you can run with Pavelski and Couture as your centres and still have great centre depth and if a piece like Thornton can net you a good defenceman (cause let's face it once Pickles went down their D started to look vulnerable) it might make your team better. Winnipeg needs to be patient because they are still building that depth, San Jose has good depth and a good drafting and development system they could trade someone like a Thornton or a Marleau and still be a good team, especially with the right return. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. I love Joe Thornton as a player but he's not getting the job done as the captain in San Jose in the playoffs and a change might be in order for everyone. 

why would anyone trade for jumbo joe, he has proved that when the games matter, he doesnt show up.

Thats the sharks problem, their star players like thornton and marleau go missing when the games start to matter

goaltending might be an issue but they only scored  1 goal last night.... 

why would anyone trade for jumbo joe, he has proved that when the games matter, he doesnt show up.

Thats the sharks problem, their star players like thornton and marleau go missing when the games start to matter

Because he is still a damned good player and lots of teams need a centre who can do the things he does in the regular season. Not everyone is as deep as San Jose that they have centres playing on the wing just to fit everyone in. 

Because he is still a damned good player and lots of teams need a centre who can do the things he does in the regular season. Not everyone is as deep as San Jose that they have centres playing on the wing just to fit everyone in. 

Big man, soft hands. I believe he led the league in helpers this year. What team wouldn't consider him for a fair price?