I Understand This Topic Has Been Beaten To Death But....

CodyT

I was at practice yesterday...Pierce even practices holding onto the ball too long. Even without pressure in the practice scrimmages, he looks like all the concussions(some unreported I would think) do not aid him in making quick decisions. He also doesn't seem to have much touch on his throws, He threw one to Etienne about 5 yards from line of scrimmage and rifled it in there so hard and high, with no defender close, that it caused Etienne to deflect it into the hand of a defender who got a pick 6.

In my opinion, the best complement I can give him is that he is serviceable when healthy.

As an aside, the new kick returner/receiver, Aaron Woods has HANDS and MOVES. He is shorter than the water boy but very well built. He is so anxious and focused that even when he is not on the field to receive punts or kickoffs, he stands about two yards in from the sidelines and mimics catching the ball and starting to move. He does this constantly while the other players are on the sidelines. He looks good running routes with the 2nd team offence, and looks like he is picking up the playbook pretty well.

He is not playing this weekend but I am looking forward to seeing what he can do in a game.

His write-up said he was all football all the time... practiced as hard as some guys play the game.

I imagine trying to get a spot on a professional team would only amp up that tendency

Pierce is absolutely a liability at this point.

If we ever give up a fourth quarter lead, do we REALLY think that Pierce is going to win for us? I have no faith that he can, I have more faith that he'll do what he needs to do to blow a fourth quarter lead. It's sad but it's reality

You have faith that glenn can make a 4th quarter comback, you been a fan for very long?

the defense is 1-1, the offense, led by Buck Pierce has twice pulled a disappearing act when the game was on the line and a good drive could win the game. Seriously, put together a decent drive in game one this team could be 2-0 but no, the offense pulled a 4th quarter disappearing act twice. The key was in week 2 they forced a turnover to win the game when the offense once again failed to stay on the field to run the clock down. 

With this defense I would say that Glenn would win more than pIerce would. You will never admit it, but Pierce is not the qb he once was and Glenn is nowhere near as bad as you make him out to be. Glenn is the very definition of average, and with the defense the bombers are fielding average is good enough to win. Pierce is nearly a liability at this point. 

Yeah Glenn would never do that right ? Lets ask the 2008 Banjo Bowl.

and that right there is why a lot of people dislike glenn and I think it's a stupid reason. Guy is just even keeled, but so many fans want to see guys punching holes in the wall and screaming and all that cause that's what a lot of fans feel like doing with each loss. 

Yeah you're right, nothing inspires a team like playing for a total sad-sack loser.

Kevin Glenn will never win a Grey Cup.  Anyone who has been following the CFL for the last decade knows this is true, even if they won't admit it.  He is not a winner.  That's all there is to it, and that's why no one wants to start him despite all the stats that you guys are all fawning over.

so why are you mentioning a problem Pierce has if KG has the same problem in spades?

Because Pierce is our QB and I feel it's a major issue he has. I won't discuss Glenn because he's not on our team and while you can speculate that he would have the same struggles based on history, there's no doubt in my mind Glenn is a better fit for our offense with his quick release and I feel like he would perform better. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no point arguing about it.

2010 called they want their arguments back. Seriously, the Buck Pierce of today is not the same guy who was a damned good qb when he was healthy. Glenn has his warts, but he is a better and more consistent passer than Buck Pierce is currently. Pierce used to make up for that with his legs, but when was the last time you saw Pierce make a defense pay with his legs? I'll provide a hint, it was early in the 2011 season against Edmonton. 

The play your referring to, where Pierce ran 48 yards and beat multiple defenders, you’re not going to see that very often.  There was nothing routine about that play.  If that’s what you come to expect of Buck now in his career, no wonder you’re disappointed.  

Because Pierce is our QB and I feel it's a major issue he has. I won't discuss Glenn because he's not on our team and while you can speculate that he would have the same struggles based on history, there's no doubt in my mind Glenn is a better fit for our offense with his quick release and I feel like he would perform better. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no point arguing about it.

This is the one feature of Glenn's style of play that even after 4+ years, many still talk about.  Hasn't been replicated by anyone else I have seen so far.

You know fraser, you are sure getting yourself worked up & underwear tied up in knots over a guy who is never coming here. Glenn's not leaving Calgary. Not with the way Tate is. Now go out & enjoy the summer. Maybe go play a round of golf, sit out on the deck with a cool one. Maybe go for a nice summer drive somewhere. Like chill, man.  Your worst fears ain't happening.

This is the one feature of Glenn's style of play that even after 4+ years, many still talk about.  Hasn't been replicated by anyone else I have seen so far.

well it only worked for half a season in '07 so I don't think anyone is going to build and offense around it.

well it only worked for half a season in '07 so I don't think anyone is going to build and offense around it.

A quick release is not something you build an offense around anyways.  It's just his technique, which is unlike any other QB out there.  That's my point.  My only point.

The play your referring to, where Pierce ran 48 yards and beat multiple defenders, you’re not going to see that very often.  There was nothing routine about that play.  If that’s what you come to expect of Buck now in his career, no wonder you’re disappointed.  

But that's the very point.

Buck is no longer allowed to try to make those plays.

I'm not even sure he has the mindset to try.

Everybody has told him not to do what came natural for him and that severely limits what he can do as a QB.

square-peg-round-hole.jpgGuess who the square peg is in this image.

But that's the very point.

Buck is no longer allowed to try to make those plays.

I'm not even sure he has the mindset to try.

Everybody has told him not to do what came natural for him and that severely limits what he can do as a QB.

square-peg-round-hole.jpgGuess who the square peg is in this image.

I'll concede there's probably very few specifically tailored run plays for in our new offense.  But it's not about not being "allowed" to run.  He has to make the right decisions about when to run.  That's what is lacking.

I'll concede there's probably very few specifically tailored run plays for in our new offense.  But it's not about not being "allowed" to run.  He has to make the right decisions about when to run.  That's what is lacking.

No it's more than that... he can't run like he used to, he is slower both mentally and physically. Yeah the 48 yarder was exceptional, but pre-2012 Pierce could pick up a lot of yards with his legs and keep a defense guessing because of it. Without that aspect of his game PIerce is just a sitting duck. He's not and has never been a pocket passer, you take away the running dimension of his game and he's not nearly as effective.

Sorry, I didn't read through the 4 pages of "well it's a good idea because .... but ...."

I am so tired of this discussion.  Would not happen.

- Mack has repeatedly said he is not interested.  His track record has proven he is trying to find a star QB himself (should be end of discussion here imo).

- There's pretty much no trade that this would work out in.

- Tate has barely played a whole season and is proving to be injury prone with his risky style of play.  AFter Glenn, it's Bo Levi Mitchell and Sinopoli.  Neither guys with CFL or barely any pro experience.

/end discussion

The discussion won't end as long as the qb position is the way it is in Winnipeg. Yeah it's unlikely to see Glenn in Winnipeg with Tate on the injured list again, but the position for Winnipeg is such and Achilles heel it will always be a discussion until the position is stabilized. 

I can see what you're getting at... but why Glenn over and over, when he's one of the LEAST likely guys that would end up here.

Forgot to add probably, that yes, Glenn is a better QB than Pierce in our system.  Sad that Calgary's backup is better than our starter... 

I can see what you're getting at... but why Glenn over and over, when he's one of the LEAST likely guys that would end up here.

Forgot to add probably, that yes, Glenn is a better QB than Pierce in our system.  Sad that Calgary's backup is better than our starter... 

It would be sad if it were true, yes.

No it's more than that... he can't run like he used to, he is slower both mentally and physically. Yeah the 48 yarder was exceptional, but pre-2012 Pierce could pick up a lot of yards with his legs and keep a defense guessing because of it. Without that aspect of his game PIerce is just a sitting duck. He's not and has never been a pocket passer, you take away the running dimension of his game and he's not nearly as effective.

None of what I am saying has anything to do with physical speed.  It’s about instinct.   There have been a lot of mobile quarterbacks in the past that are not terribly fast, but just know when to run.  We can both agree that his mental ability now is more short-sighted than it was before, and his awareness on the field has taken a slide.  And what I eluded to initially was that  the elements of his play that were successful in 2011, which mostly has to do with his instinct, has been lost in the last 1+ seasons. 

Pierce still has the physical abilities to run with the ball to some degree.  He has two legs and is relatively athletic.

And even with those pretty stats no one wants him as a starter... hmm must be a reason for that

Nobody wants him as a starter?  I'm pretty sure Edmonton would take him, Winnipeg would as well most likely if we could get him for free.

It wasn't like Glenn was released by Hamilton and Calgary was the only team who came calling to offer him a backup job - he was traded and told he was being brought in to be a reliable backup in case their new starter didn't work out or got hurt.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Glenn named the starter in Calgary if Tate has another injury that knocks him out for the season.  (I.E. Calgary might give up on Tate and make Glenn their guy until Mitchell is ready to go)