A Look at the Blue Bombers Offensive Line

Once again I'm impressed with the effort in explaining this lifeblood of every football offence -- the O-Line, or type O as I like to call it.

A good analysis of what every Bomber fan has a thorough knowledge of….well, maybe not thorough….and maybe not knowledge.

But you know what I mean.

Oddly enough I already believed there will be improvement in the O-Line play this year, if only for the reason that Boatman will be replaced. 

What I mean is…must be replaced

(**looking forward to which colour combos you're going to use in your next presentation ;) )

I've been looking forward to this blog entry on OL's and it didn't disappoint!  I really enjoyed your analysis on Pencer and glad to hear you feel he has promise to be a solid CFL OL.  Interesting that you aren't very high on Neufeld.  Kyle Walters mentioned that the centers this year would likely be Morley and Kowalczuk; Neufeld would be interesting there as well, he's young so could develop into our center for the next 5 years.  Based on your analysis, I'm wondering if something like this would work:

LT - January

LG - Greaves

C - Neufeld

RG - Morley/Swiston

RT - Pencer/Jones

That's a great piece of writing, far better and more detailed than in the MSM.

Two questions:

1. What o-lineman in this years draft do you think would most improve our line over the next 3 years, and not be lost to the NFL?

2. If you are willing to say, what background/education do you have that provides you with such detailed insight?

Awesome insight, very informative. Interesting to read your take for Neufeld as C. Hopefully, he's being considered on that too.

Who knows, maybe our OL will look like this.

LT - January / Jones

LG - Greaves

C - Neufeld

RG - Kowalczuk / Morley

RT - Pencer / Swiston

Awesome insight, very informative. Interesting to read your take for Neufeld as C. Hopefully, he's being considered on that too.

LT - January / Jones

LG - Greaves

C - Neufeld

RG - Kowalczuk / Morley

RT - Pencer / Swiston

A NI doesn't always need to backup a NI. Just means you'd need to start a NI elsewhere on the roster if a NI starter got injured.

I wonder how much better the line could be just from better quarterback play.

It's usually the reverse where the job of the O-line is to ensure the QB and RB's can do their jobs, i.e., poor QB play is mostly a result of the O-line BUT it's a good reminder it works the other way as well..

A mobile QB can make an average offensive line look above average.

That's a great piece of writing, far better and more detailed than in the MSM.

Two questions:

1. What o-lineman in this years draft do you think would most improve our line over the next 3 years, and not be lost to the NFL?

2. If you are willing to say, what background/education do you have that provides you with such detailed insight?

I don't have much knowledge on the prospects in the upcoming draft outside of Canada West, where there isn't much of note.  The top OL prospects in this draft are out of Quebec and Simon Fraser, NCAA D2.

As a child with large bones I was blessed with the experience of playing offensive line pretty much since the first time I put on shoulder pads at age 7.  I played offensive line/defensive line and tight end (like 4 snaps when I was in grade 9, still wonder everyday why they didn't call my play and trust my sweet hands  :D ) for 15 years, then started coaching it.  I took my Level 1 NCCP through Football Manitoba, which is the positional coach level, I studied OL/DL.  Most of what I learned is from my own coaches, and studying the game to make myself a better player, cause I sure as hell didn't like hanging out in the weight room.

I wonder how much better the line could be just from better quarterback play.

Quite a bit.  The combo of our QB's both holding the ball too long in the pocket (Hall and Goltz) and leaving the pocket early (Pierce and Goltz) made the OL look a lot worse than it was.  Hall probably had the best pocket presence out of them all, but he needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

The QB scrambling too soon really makes their job impossible.  As a tackle, you force that end wide, and all of a sudden your QB is bailing from the pocket right into that rush lane, when you're thinking he's back in the pocket about to throw, at that point it's just a free for all.

On that theme, it will be interesting to see how Montreal's OL holds up without Calvillo and the quick strike offence, he made many good OL into great OL.

LT - January / Jones

LG - Greaves

C - Neufeld

RG - Kowalczuk / Morley

RT - Pencer / Swiston

A NI doesn't always need to backup a NI. Just means you'd need to start a NI elsewhere on the roster if a NI starter got injured.

I doubt Jones will be the 6th OL, if we are starting NI OL.