Jets Etc.

Mark H.

As long as we keep signing over the hill players like Ollie Jokkinen & Sedogouchi, this team won't improve. This all comes back to Cheveldayoff. Chipman gave him a new & long term contract. I'm not saying  or advocating he should be fired as clearly he won't but the moves he does make need or needs to make but doesn't has to come under more scrutiny  than they are now.

As long as we keep signing over the hill players like Ollie Jokkinen & Sedogouchi, this team won't improve. This all comes back to Cheveldayoff. Chipman gave him a new & long term contract. I'm not saying  or advocating he should be fired as clearly he won't but the moves he does make need or needs to make but doesn't has to come under more scrutiny  than they are now.

Jokinen has been pretty good for us this season. I have no problem having him on the roster. When we signed him we had Little, Slater, & pretty much nothing else at centre. He stunk last year but is earning his spot now.

those are actually good moves to make, bring in veterans so that the guys you draft have some time and less pressure to perform. They knew this was going to be a long road so why freak out when the GM is doing exactly what they said they would do?

Boy the team sure played different tonight.... lots of offensive output despite Kane being out of the line up.  

It's almost like this team looked motivated and that they gave two craps on the ice tonight.  

As mentioned before the talent is sufficient.... the lack of focus/motivation was the big problem.  

Lets hope Maurice can keep the team *motivated* for the rest of the year. 

Oh and if anyone needs to get traded it has to be Ladd... the dude simply just can't make the plays when needed. 

those are actually good moves to make, bring in veterans so that the guys you draft have some time and less pressure to perform. They knew this was going to be a long road so why freak out when the GM is doing exactly what they said they would do?

But the big free agents available we never go after. I'd like to see us do that... As far as veterans, yes, I agree. But it was Cheveldayoff preaching patience since the Jets got to Winnipeg & now suddenly it's like a light bulb went off in his head that things aren't working remaining status quo. Maybe Chipman told him to change, who knows? Hopefully we become more active on July 1st & trade to actually try to improve. Just because Winnipeg is a hockey city with knowledgeable fans doesn't give Cheveldayoff a pass to take years to build a winner. (See Edmonton). 

The Jets have a pretty good middle part of a competitive roster, what they don't have are the top end players and they don't have much for depth. When you play in the west you can't get by with an incomplete roster like that.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

When the Jets get some comparable D and goaltending call me.

After tonight the Jets have played 3 games more than the Coyotes and given up 1 more goal. Phoenix ain't that great on the back end.

But the big free agents available we never go after. I'd like to see us do that... As far as veterans, yes, I agree. But it was Cheveldayoff preaching patience since the Jets got to Winnipeg & now suddenly it's like a light bulb went off in his head that things aren't working remaining status quo. Maybe Chipman told him to change, who knows? Hopefully we become more active on July 1st & trade to actually try to improve. Just because Winnipeg is a hockey city with knowledgeable fans doesn't give Cheveldayoff a pass to take years to build a winner. (See Edmonton). 

Let's not start that 'chase the big name FA stuff'. That will certainly lead down a road they can't get involved with at this point.

A couple of trades, here and there, to solidify a young line up is fine but you're not going to suddenly transform a bottom third level team into Chicago over the period of a year.

Speaking of Chicago, Kevin C. spent two years in that Org…..not a bad place to observe.

And as for Mark Chipman…now there's a guy who likes to have his business in order before he makes a move.

They're going to have a core of players, build through the draft and hopefully make some smart trades that won't handcuff them for the future.

They, and the fans, simply can't panic because they are in a very tough conference and, like it or not, it will take a while.

Out here in Calgary the Flames suck but fans are going at least we're not Winnipeg. I laugh & go at least we're not the Flames. There's only a couple of players from the Flames I'd like to be Jets & that's Mark Giordano & Sean Monahan. The rest can be flushed down the toilet.

How many big trades has there been made in the NHL since the Jets returned?

How could the Jets possibly sign big Free Agents or make big trades when they had huge salaries like Ron Hainsey and Nik Antropov that was killing them against the cap?

Cheveldayoff was preaching patience because the Thrashers had made rash decisions and had a lot of dead weight,  barely any prospects and in the past they dumped their best players and got not much in return.  

This isn't a video game where you can easily pluck an all star straight out of free agency or swing a trade easily.   

As I recall when the Jets returned & up to last summer before Chevy locked up the team's free agents, we weren't a capped team. We were more in the area of the salary cap floor. We had a lot of money to sign FA's. Chevy chose to lock up his players than go look elsewhere. We don't have the room anymore. Be interesting to see where the salary cap goes next summer & what we do as an organization as well.

You don't build teams through free agency.   You build through the draft and when the time is right you add final pieces through free agency.  The Jets have never been there.  Their FA signings have been stop gaps while they build the team.

First Winnipeg by itself isn't a prime destination for free agents.  Throw in the fact that the team sucks, and Winnipeg is tough sell in Free Agency.  Winnipeg is used to drive up the cost elsewhere.  Get a winning team, get close to being a contender and it is an easier sell.

The Jets are close to the cap now, but so are most teams, it is a symptoms of the lockout and the reduced cap, they won't be going forward unless they are close and can add a final piece or two.

As I said before, developing a team thru the draft takes years. So, in the interim they have to bring in talent to carry them until these draft picks start to pay off. Thing  is, we don't know if these picks even will pan out. Look at the Oilers who have been building  thru the draft for years & how has that worked  out? So it has to  be a combination of drafting well, trades & free agency to build a team. I just think Chevy pleading patience will only go so far with a fanbase. Even Winnipeg that has more patience than a lot of NHL cities.

The best free agent moves are seldom the big splashes. The best moves are the role players on a good deal. The unheralded moves. 

Don't read too much into what happens after you fire a coach either, Bomber fans should know that. Jim Daley and Tim Burke both "improved" the team right after firing. Players know that if a coach gets fired they gotta step up and it's sort of the dead cat bounce. 

As long as we keep signing over the hill players like Ollie Jokkinen & Sedogouchi, this team won't improve. This all comes back to Cheveldayoff. Chipman gave him a new & long term contract. I'm not saying or advocating he should be fired as clearly he won't but the moves he does make need or needs to make but doesn't has to come under more scrutiny than they are now.

But the big free agents available we never go after. I'd like to see us do that...

First off, we really have no idea who they went after... we only know who they got. Despite what Winnipeggers want to believe, it can't be easy to attract FA's here. Second, who are the big FA's you're referring to? David Clarkson?? Lol how is he working out for Toronto?

As I said before, developing a team thru the draft takes years. So, in the interim they have to bring in talent to carry them until these draft picks start to pay off. Thing  is, we don't know if these picks even will pan out. Look at the Oilers who have been building  thru the draft for years & how has that worked  out? So it has to  be a combination of drafting well, trades & free agency to build a team. I just think Chevy pleading patience will only go so far with a fanbase. Even Winnipeg that has more patience than a lot of NHL cities.

The Oilers are a good case study in how long it actually does take to build a team through the draft. Their high picks are doing fine, the problem there is they had a GM who liked to keep firing coaches to hide his failures to sign those unheralded free agents to supplement the young players and who was reluctant to make a trade. In short they fired their GM because he didn't appreciate that young players can not carry a team in the NHL on their own. I don't see that from the Jets though, they do make some of the free agent signings to help, they just don't have the truly elite talent around that. 

The Blackhawks and Penguins had made the playoffs by this time compared to the Oilers.

Blackhawks yes but largely in part to having Seabrook and Keith in the system before they ever drafted Kane and Toews, You might want to go back and look at the pens though, they drafted very high before they ever got Crosby remember.

Whitney was top 5, Fleury was #1, Malkin was #2, Crosby was #1 Staal was #2 So that's 5 top 5 picks in a row for the Pens before they did anything of note, The Oilers have still only had 3 top 5 picks since they started this process and there aren't often Crosbys available to draft either. It's easy for people to forget but the Penguins sucked for a while after they got Crosby too and he was one of their last high picks. 

Honestly, it seems to me like you're just impatient. Chevy is preaching patience because that is what is required. Building an NHL team isn't about just adding pieces for the sake of adding pieces. You pick your spots where you spend your money and you go after the big fish when you're ready to take the jump from pretender to contender.

There would be no sense in having Chevy trade assets from our prospect cupboard just to acquire a big name player that helps us go from a 33 win team to a 38 win team. You stock the shelves with young talent, you allow it to develop and you build from within so that you can eventually set yourself up to be dealing from a position of strength in order to acquire pieces. A big name signing or top 3 forward via trade isn't a piece you put in place in the middle of your build. You fill it in when you're good and ready. This isn't the CFL where the dollar values are set every year. You spend when you're ready. Not just because.

A perfect case study to look at when debating the merits of building through the draft versus the merits of building through free agency were the tenure's of Tambellini (Oilers) and Feaster (Flames).

A perfect case study to look at when debating the merits of building through the draft versus the merits of building through free agency were the tenure's of Tambellini (Oilers) and Feaster (Flames).

I don't think the Flames ever tried to rebuild when Feaster was there though. They were desperately trying to cling to the delusion that they were competitive. They didn't start to rebuild until they traded Iginla and Feaster only got one draft from that. Don't forget that stupid offer sheet he sent out on Ryan O'Reilly. 

I agree. I think it was ownership who were afraid that the Flames fanbase would revolt if they got rid of guys like Kipper, Bouwmeester & Iginla. They sat on these guys way too long & when Murray Edwards gave Feaster permission to deal he got what he could for those guys at the trade deadline. Kipper screwed the team by saying he'd retire if he was traded. Feaster was a poor choice for a GM. The guy knows virtually nothing about hockey & admitted he wasn't a hockey guy & had to rely on the opinion of others when making personnel & scouting choices. Feaster was like one of us here with his expertise. We could have done the job he did.

Buff has been a force on the wing... Holy smokes, did he play well against the Oilers today.... And as far as Bryzgalof goes, I think the MTS Centre crowd took him off his game in the third period when he acknowledged the "Ilya... Ilya" jeers.. The OT goal wasn't his fault but still he let in three goals in the 3rd period & OT. Karma's a *****, Ilya. ;)

The Blackhawks and Penguins had made the playoffs by this time compared to the Oilers.

Blackhawks yes but largely in part to having Seabrook and Keith in the system before they ever drafted Kane and Toews, You might want to go back and look at the pens though, they drafted very high before they ever got Crosby remember.

Whitney was top 5, Fleury was #1, Malkin was #2, Crosby was #1 Staal was #2 So that's 5 top 5 picks in a row for the Pens before they did anything of note, The Oilers have still only had 3 top 5 picks since they started this process and there aren't often Crosbys available to draft either. It's easy for people to forget but the Penguins sucked for a while after they got Crosby too and he was one of their last high picks. 

Define awhile. The had over 100 points in Crosby's 2nd season. Malkin also didn't arrive until two years after he was drafted.

The Oilers have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 7 years. The excuses should be finished for that team.