Jets Etc.

Mark H.

I think Chevy waited too long to pull the plug on Noel. The Jets are playing better under Maurice but the team dug  itself such a hole that it is going to be next to impossible to get a playoff spot. They have to win every game against teams they are supposed to beat & beat teams like Chicago they aren't supposed to beat. Going to be really tough.

So now that they've lost a game or two...the old 'Noel tendencies' are starting to show. (According to 1290, who have nothing better to talk about)

Bad goaltending is something Maurice can only do so much with......

The goal at the beginning of the Chicago game was an old Noel tendency... (throwing the puck carelessly from behind our net in front of it)

Against Nashville all I noticed was Pavs sprawling around way out of place and letting a couple of real bad goals in,   also noticed that Andrew Ladd is missing and appears to be invisible on the ice.

Other frequent issues... Bogosian can't hit the net if his life depended on it,   bad hustle from our forwards coming back,  Wheeler holding onto the puck to long,  Stuart the unsung hero on our team,  Setoguchi is invisible,  Thorburn should not be on our first two lines and Scheifle in desperate need of getting 15 lbs of man muscle to help prevent him from being pushed around.  

Lots of the under the radar guys like Trouba, Frolik and Stuart really do have lots of hustle and play hard.  

Also Montoya definitely should be given a shot at starting job....   Pavs is to streaky and is out of place so frequently and loves to give up the big rebounds. 

Completely agree with you on this. His happy feet drives me insane. At this level, he makes standard saves look like he just robbed someone of a goal. Maybe that's his way of marketing his ability. I don't think it's working. Lawless wrote a while back on the dependency the coaching staff have with Buff and the need to wean off that. I think he was right but chose the wrong player. I know a lot of teams struggle with consistent goaltending but it shouldn't stop the Jets at seriously looking at alternatives and trying it out, whether it means giving more starts to Montoya or looking elsewhere. I really don't see this as only defensive scheme issue.  Something Pavs said disturbed me when he commented about the coaching change, he said the new coach talks about what great players they are. If that's what he believes has been the significant influencing issue with the inconsistency of his play, then I say Wow really? Me thinks not.  

The biggest change to me was moving Buff up to forward. Suddenly that's two less giveaways for goals per game that the Jets don't have to make up for. Bogosian is just plain bad, he has taken over from Buff as the worst defenceman on the team. I'd trade him away for a jock strap in two minutes. I don't know where Andrew Ladd has disappeared but it appears Wheeler has stolen his mojo after he made the US team and Ladd didn't make the Canadian Olympic team. I hope they pummel the Canucks tonight.

The biggest change to me was moving Buff up to forward. Suddenly that's two less giveaways for goals per game that the Jets don't have to make up for. Bogosian is just plain bad, he has taken over from Buff as the worst defenceman on the team. I'd trade him away for a jock strap in two minutes. I don't know where Andrew Ladd has disappeared but it appears Wheeler has stolen his mojo after he made the US team and Ladd didn't make the Canadian Olympic team. I hope they pummel the Canucks tonight.

Bogosian has been playing fantastic ever since Maurice took over, I literally have no idea where you would get the idea that he's anywhere near the worst defenseman on our team.

I think Chevy waited too long to pull the plug on Noel. The Jets are playing better under Maurice but the team dug  itself such a hole that it is going to be next to impossible to get a playoff spot. They have to win every game against teams they are supposed to beat & beat teams like Chicago they aren't supposed to beat. Going to be really tough.

Or was that brief surge under the new coach just the new coach players getting a swift boot in the ass and now they're starting to settle back into what they are? 

Sometimes poor teams win games they're not supposed to, both Edmonton and Calgary beat the Sharks recently, it happens to every team. Over the long haul only the overly optimistic expected the Jets to do much more than they've already done this year. 

Bogosian has been playing fantastic ever since Maurice took over, I literally have no idea where you would get the idea that he's anywhere near the worst defenseman on our team.

Would agree with this like a switch went off when Maurice got here. Best he has played since being in Winnipeg

That game tonight was much closer then it should of been.... the difference in goaltending really showed tonight.  While Lack did let in a softy or two..... he robbed us of 3 goals easily.    

Pavs on the other hand....  making the flashy saves leaving him out of place and luckily the defense bailed him out when he did that late in the 3rd.      He wasn't terrible by any means... but he wasn't rock solid either.   I really don't understand why Montoya doesn't get more games?   The numbers don't lie....

Worst defenseman on the team this season was Clitsome by a mile....     the only guy I see really struggling now with Maurice would be Ladd... the guy is invisible , is scared to take the puck to the net  (hence the slapshots from a mile away despite having a clean lane to the net) and he just doesn't seem to be anywhere in the offensive zone.

The guys who have stepped up and who you notice playing lately have been Schiefle , Setoguchi and Little.....   

Pavs got burned out playing behind an inconsistent team.  He had to make too many flashy saves and bail out the D most nights or the team lost, plain and simple.

a) Wait and see if the consistent play of the team continues

B) Wait and see if that leads to Pavs settling down and becoming a more consistent goaltender

Tells me how bad a coach Noel was. Waited much too long to make a change. We have a slim chance to make the playoffs. We've only lost 2 games under Maurice & we're still last in the Division & 6 points behind Vancouver with a little more than 25 or 26 games left. Going to be very difficult. 

Tells me how bad a coach Noel was. Waited much too long to make a change. We have a slim chance to make the playoffs. We've only lost 2 games under Maurice & we're still last in the Division & 6 points behind Vancouver with a little more than 25 or 26 games left. Going to be very difficult. 

Steady on old chap - let's see how they fair going forward before passing judgement.

Steady on old chap - let's see how they fair going forward before passing judgement.

Bomber fans of all people should be aware how misleading records after a coach is fired can be. 

Pavs got burned out playing behind an inconsistent team.  He had to make too many flashy saves and bail out the D most nights or the team lost, plain and simple.

B) Wait and see if that leads to Pavs settling down and becoming a more consistent goaltender

But hasn't this been the story of Pavs career starting in Atlanta.....  up and down and zero consistency?

But hasn't this been the story of Pavs career starting in Atlanta.....  up and down and zero consistency?

Which was exactly like the team playing in front of him...

Which was exactly like the team playing in front of him...

But Montoya has been playing much better even when the team in front of him have stunk it up (see Win vs Chicago last week)

Montoya serves up 30 saves and one goal allowed as the Habs get dumped twice in one weekend!

I only watched the first period and he made some fantastic saves,   the proof is in the stats.... the guy clearly is outplaying Pavs

When it comes to goaltending, stats are definitely for losers.  Until goalie stats show the number of 'scoring chances' against, they will be mostly meaningless.

For example, Kiprusoff played some excellent goal for a poor Calgary team - for quite a few years.  

Montoya serves up 30 saves and one goal allowed as the Habs get dumped twice in one weekend!

I only watched the first period and he made some fantastic saves,   the proof is in the stats.... the guy clearly is outplaying Pavs

When it comes to goaltending, stats are definitely for losers.  Until goalie stats show the number of 'scoring chances' against, they will be mostly meaningless.

For example, Kiprusoff played some excellent goal for a poor Calgary team - for quite a few years.  

Ok well watch the Chicago game and watch the Montreal game and you would see Montoya making ridiculously good saves... then watch Pav being out of placed and being undressed with weak goals (such as the wrap around goal he let in the other night) and that alone is enough.  

Stats are for losers? Are you kidding me?  In Hockey stats tell quite a bit of a story,    the +/ - stat is a very good indication of a Defense and Forward, also I'm pretty sure when you pay someone big bucks and they have a crappy plus minus on top of very little points that it tells quite a clear story.

For Goalies stats between different goalies for different teams might make sense... but when Montoya who is coming off the bench cold and is playing behind the exact same guys that Pavs does and against the top teams of the league and his GAA is a full goal lower and his save % is quite higher, has more shutouts.....  how does that not tell the story??

Montoya hasn't been the primary backstop for a putrid team most of the year.  A turnover prone D is hard on a goalie's psyche - so are forwards to glide back on the back check. Thankfully that seems to be changing

If it were as obvious as you believe it to be - Montoya would be starting every game.