Jets Etc.

Mark H.

Montoya hasn't been the primary backstop for a putrid team most of the year.  A turnover prone D is hard on a goalie's psyche - so are forwards to glide back on the back check. Thankfully that seems to be changing

If it were as obvious as you believe it to be - Montoya would be starting every game.

I would think more so the fact that they are paying Pavs big money to start and that Montoya is due up for a new contract next season is the main reason he is not starting every game.  

If it were only about the talent and not about the money then in years past guys like Antropov would of been scratched every game.  

+/- requires a hell of a lot of extra context to even begin to be useful. So unless you've got all the other stats to make it useful +/- was a pathetic attempt at advanced stats. 

Yes because when a defenseman has a -15 rating and his counterparts are hovering around 0 that really doesn't paint a picture ..... specially when the whole media, town and all the fans clearly rag on the guy for huge giveaways and lazy play.  

jets win again.... 9-2 under Maurice. Four points behind Vancouver. No way Noel ever could  have got the Jets to even be close to the way they are playing now. Too bad they waited so long to can him.

Actually 2 points behind Vancouver - they lost to Boston tonight.

jets win again.... 9-2 under Maurice. Four points behind Vancouver. No way Noel ever could  have got the Jets to even be close to the way they are playing now. Too bad they waited so long to can him.

Actually 2 points behind Vancouver - they lost to Boston tonight.

Haven't checked the standings. I thought it was four, but I'll take two! Woot!!

+/- requires a hell of a lot of extra context to even begin to be useful. So unless you've got all the other stats to make it useful +/- was a pathetic attempt at advanced stats. 

Yes because when a defenseman has a -15 rating and his counterparts are hovering around 0 that really doesn't paint a picture ..... specially when the whole media, town and all the fans clearly rag on the guy for huge giveaways and lazy play.  

A defensive defenseman who's never out on the powerplay and plays a regular shift on the penalty kill - it's more acceptable for a guy like that to be minus -10 - than someone who's on ice in more offensive situations.

I still say to temper expectations here. Bomber fans should know as well as anyone how misleading records after firing a coach can be. Historically Maurice has had the same problems as Noel had. What I am curious to see if if the Olympic break disrupts the momentum the Jets have right now. 

I believe there is an example in the Thrashers history where they fired a coach after a horrendous start and then the team rebounded to win something like 10 straight games before falling back to where they were previously. 

The absolute easiest time to coach a team is after a coach is fired midseason, it's what they do long term that matters. Momentum is big though and the Jets are riding it, the key is how they react when adversity hits. 

I still say to temper expectations here. Bomber fans should know as well as anyone how misleading records after firing a coach can be. Historically Maurice has had the same problems as Noel had. What I am curious to see if if the Olympic break disrupts the momentum the Jets have right now. 

I believe there is an example in the Thrashers history where they fired a coach after a horrendous start and then the team rebounded to win something like 10 straight games before falling back to where they were previously. 

The absolute easiest time to coach a team is after a coach is fired midseason, it's what they do long term that matters. Momentum is big though and the Jets are riding it, the key is how they react when adversity hits. 

Have to agree with this. However, there have been signs that this team has a different attitude under Maurice. You mentioned adversity and how they respond to it. If you look things at a game by game basis, they have been markedly better after giving up goals under Maurice than Noel. Little things like that give me hope. Plus, I like that it hasn't been 10-11 straight wins or something. They've had a couple of losses that they needed to rebound from already and they've do so succesfully. The olympic break will be huge. Will it kill momentum or be a much needed rest? It'll be nice to have Kane back 100% after the break (hopefully) and coming from the NCAA where they play a pretty short season, Jacob Trouba could probably use some time to rest and recharge.

Have to agree with this. However, there have been signs that this team has a different attitude under Maurice. You mentioned adversity and how they respond to it. If you look things at a game by game basis, they have been markedly better after giving up goals under Maurice than Noel. Little things like that give me hope. Plus, I like that it hasn't been 10-11 straight wins or something. They've had a couple of losses that they needed to rebound from already and they've do so succesfully. The olympic break will be huge. Will it kill momentum or be a much needed rest? It'll be nice to have Kane back 100% after the break (hopefully) and coming from the NCAA where they play a pretty short season, Jacob Trouba could probably use some time to rest and recharge.

I hope they are able to put in some practice time during the break so they can fully implement Maurice's system.

I hope they are able to put in some practice time during the break so they can fully implement Maurice's system.

I think they'll do what NHLplayers not on the Canadian team did last Oly break... Take the family or girlfriend to Hawaii or Mexico for a week. Play golf in California & Florida. Come back, start skating & practicing again second week.