Jets Etc.

Mark H.

I find it ironic that Dustin Byfuglien has become a scapegoat for what ails the Jets.  He's an offensive-minded turnover prone defenseman who's capable of playing great hockey. That's not going  to change...

Suddenly it's a problem that he doesn't fit into Noel's system?  Who ever thought he was going to change his style of play and 'fit in?'

yeah that's ridiculous. Buff is what he is. He ain't going to give to 30 minutes a night of flawless hockey but he can play a high event game and generate offense quite well. Honestly the guy that people tend to over rate the most on the Jets blueline is Bogosian. People act like he is still the guy Atlanta thought they were drafting when the reality is he hasn't come close to living up to that potential. Capable player but not a guy that was once on the same level as Doughty or Peitrangelo.

yeah that's ridiculous. Buff is what he is. He ain't going to give to 30 minutes a night of flawless hockey but he can play a high event game and generate offense quite well. Honestly the guy that people tend to over rate the most on the Jets blueline is Bogosian. People act like he is still the guy Atlanta thought they were drafting when the reality is he hasn't come close to living up to that potential. Capable player but not a guy that was once on the same level as Doughty or Peitrangelo.

Yes he is what he is... a guy who can score great on the power play and then stink it up on his own end....  the -15 or whatever he is at now is quite indicative as well as him being one of the top guys in the league with giveaways.  

Bogo isn't elite and definitely can't shoot for ****, but he at least can get the puck out of his own end and considering how crappy the team has been and he still somehow is a +6 really does show.  

Byfuglien isn't a scapegoat,  to me Pavelec also is vastly over rated....  Buff simply should be a forward because he's lazy as fack  and a liability on the D,   put him on the point for the power play but for the rest of the game put him in Thorburns place on the wing.

Claude Noel is in over his head,  not a horrible coach but definitely not a guy who can raise the bar on a team full of young guys.     

Noel is a major problem if you ask me.

At what point do you start to wonder if the players are too entitled or if it's the coach who is simply a problem? Burmistrov left town because of Noel. Kane has feuded with him in the media. Ladd chirps him in practice. At what point do these stop being coincidences and do we look at the common denominator in all of these situations?

His system doesn't seem to work, he's not consistent with just about ANYTHING regarding this team. We let other teams dictate how we are going to play instead of forcing them to play Jets hockey. He seems, at times, to choose his line combinations via names from a hat. He doesn't treat the players equally in terms of consequences for unstellar play. He doesn't do anything to allow young players to build confidence in themselves. And on top of all of that, he won't sit James Wright in the press box which I think is the worst infraction of all. That guy wouldn't have a spot on my beer league team with his offensive zone skills.

At what point do you start to wonder if the players are too entitled or if it's the coach who is simply a problem? Burmistrov left town because of Noel. Kane has feuded with him in the media. Ladd chirps him in practice. At what point do these stop being coincidences and do we look at the common denominator in all of these situations?

His system doesn't seem to work, he's not consistent with just about ANYTHING regarding this team. We let other teams dictate how we are going to play instead of forcing them to play Jets hockey. He seems, at times, to choose his line combinations via names from a hat. He doesn't treat the players equally in terms of consequences for unstellar play. He doesn't do anything to allow young players to build confidence in themselves. And on top of all of that, he won't sit James Wright in the press box which I think is the worst infraction of all. That guy wouldn't have a spot on my beer league team with his offensive zone skills.

IMO, it's just like the Bombers last season.  Talent is deficient, but the HC sure ain't helpin' either.

When they played in the East, a north-south system and consistent play from Pavelec kept them mostly in the playoff hunt.  You need more than that to win in the West.

Pavelec is OK, he's just not the kind of guy to stand on his head every night and cover up for other short comings. The Jets D is ok in the sense that they have some good puck movers on it, but the bottom couple defensemen are yikes and Trouba is still a rookie no matter how good he looks.

If you look at all the goaltenders going to the Olympics, Jonathan Quick is probably the only one capable of carrying a team.

By that I mean the way guys like Brodeur, Kiprusoff, and Hasek used to do it.

Does anyone else think Brayden Holtby should be on Team Canada?

If you look at all the goaltenders going to the Olympics, Jonathan Quick is probably the only one capable of carrying a team.

You have evidently forgotten Ryan Miller carrying his team to a silver medal in 2010. He'd definitely be my choice in net for the Americans. What both Scrivens & Jones did in Quick's absence this season in pretty telling for how much it's LA's team D that contributes to goaltender success there.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but no, Holtby should not be on Team Canada.

You have evidently forgotten Ryan Miller carrying his team to a silver medal in 2010. He'd definitely be my choice in net for the Americans. What both Scrivens & Jones did in Quick's absence this season in pretty telling for how much it's LA's team D that contributes to goaltender success there.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but no, Holtby should not be on Team Canada.

Oh yes, Miller. He hasn't been great of late...not that I've watched all that many Sabres games.

Holtby > Mr. Meltdown

Oh yes, Miller. He hasn't been great of late...not that I've watched all that many Sabres games.

Holtby > Mr. Meltdown

He's been on fire lately. He has a .949 S% in the last month and has stolen six wins for them in that time. The Sabres are a middle of the road AHL team without him.

Who is Mr. Meltdown? It can't be any of the guys on the Olympic team if Holtby has been better than him this season.

but to be completely fair to LA, Martin Jones absolutely stoned the Wheat Kings in the WHL on more than one occasion. He was the only reason the Hitmen won some of those playoff rounds so him coming into LA and doing the same wasn't really a surprise because I saw him play that way in jrs even though I hate to admit he was any good. 

Holtby didn't deserve to be on team canada either. For all people crap on Luongo he's always been a goaltender who can carry a team. He got that rep as a choker but it's not deserved, the entire canucks team are soft chokers. Price wins a ton of games in Montreal on a roster that isn't all that great so to me he's another guy who is capable of carrying a team. Smith I am not sold on but I understand wanting a more veteran guy as their third guy. 

but to be completely fair to LA, Martin Jones absolutely stoned the Wheat Kings in the WHL on more than one occasion. He was the only reason the Hitmen won some of those playoff rounds so him coming into LA and doing the same wasn't really a surprise because I saw him play that way in jrs even though I hate to admit he was any good. 

Jones is a good goalie. You don't put up those kind of numbers if you're not. My point was that Quick isn't that great and lots of goalies could do as well or better if put in his situation. In fact, both Jones & Scrivens did put up better numbers.