Nothing's Happening?

Fraser

I think it is a little silly to just look at the end of last year and say we sucked last year and nothing changed.

I took a look at the first few depth charts and feel this team really has evolved.

- labbe started the year as mlb and was replaced by muamba

- douglas was hurt and his spot was taken by tamorina. Now he's healthy and lost his job to boatman

- collier was a starting dt who was replaced by gilmore

- Garrett and simpson were hurt so we played Dorzon. Now Garret is healthy and waiting in the wings behind simpson and ford.

- kowalzchuck was a starting center and lost his job to sorenson who will start this year as center

- last year sam was a revolving door and hopefully this year will be locked down by sears after he's healthy

- watson started the year hurt. this year its poblah but Etienne was actually pushing work work in tc.

lost of changes from our brutal start last year.

The absolutely horrendous start last season made things look worse than they were. The biggest improvement that could be made by this team would be a little more consistency and that can happen with more players simply having that extra year of experience. 

The absolutely horrendous start last season made things look worse than they were. The biggest improvement that could be made by this team would be a little more consistency and that can happen with more players simply having that extra year of experience. 

Absolutely. I'm hoping that with expectations so low, the Bombers are able to sneak under the radar a bit.

Younger, cheaper again, it's the mantra of this regime, so no, there hasn't been any change.

Change would have been going out and plugging the holes in the team with veteran free agents who could make an impact immediately without the growing pains.

Younger, cheaper again, it's the mantra of this regime, so no, there hasn't been any change.

Change would have been going out and plugging the holes in the team with veteran free agents who could make an impact immediately without the growing pains.

starting line up is actually older and more experienced this year than last.

By all means, tell me which veteran free agents you would have liked to sign that would have filled a need. This is consistantly the worst anti-Mack argument out there.

I'll be happy if this team is 4-4 or 5-5 around Labour Day. Then we can make a big push second half of the season. The one game they have to play well in this tear is the LD Sunday game in Regina. They can't get blown out again & need to go into Regina & win the game. That could define the entire season.

By all means, tell me which veteran free agents you would have liked to sign that would have filled a need. This is consistantly the worst anti-Mack argument out there.

That's not the question though.

Nothing changed as far as the approach to the team even after a losing season. We are back to the same formula of letting prospects grow into positions, which is always painful.

And I would start back in the first year of the program as far free agents go. This isn't just about passing on guys this time around, it's about passing up guys since they took the controls. If they had signed even one marquee free agent a year since they started, they could have locked down 4 positions.

You don't build a team in a season, you add to it every year, thus the 5 year plan. Continually cutting guys and adding prospects does not get you there.

Nothing changed as far as the approach to the team even after a losing season. We are back to the same formula of letting prospects grow into positions, which is always painful.

And I would start back in the first year of the program as far free agents go. This isn't just about passing on guys this time around, it's about passing up guys since they took the controls. If they had signed even one marquee free agent a year since they started, they could have locked down 4 positions.

You don't build a team in a season, you add to it every year, thus the 5 year plan. Continually cutting guys and adding prospects does not get you there.

Which positions are you concerned about specifically? There are really only two spots that won't be occupied by veterans in game one... Nickel and WIL LB. Two out of 24 starters. Below league average. And WIL is going to be filled by a guy who was here for a full season already, and the nickel will eventually be filled by Sears who was one of our best DBs last season. Other than that we're going with veterans all the way.

Which positions are you concerned about specifically? There are really only two spots that won't be occupied by veterans in game one... Nickel and WIL LB. Two out of 24 starters. Below league average. And WIL is going to be filled by a guy who was here for a full season already, and the nickel will eventually be filled by Sears who was one of our best DBs last season. Other than that we're going with veterans all the way.

It's easier to answer which positions am I not concerned about.

RB would be the only one.

Everything else is just a big uncertainty.

I would say at this time this year compared to last year there is hell of a lot more certainty.

I'm not sure how it isn't the question.  You can't criticize someone for not adding veteran free agents without being able to back that argument up.  CFL free agency is populated by guys that are there for a reason.  Being a free agent is not a good thing, because it means the team you were on did not want you.  It's not hockey or baseball.  Generally changing teams in football is a really bad thing for a career, particularly for CFL imports.  There is the odd guy who hits free agency who was stuck behind other guys on his team, but those guys are not usually the ones that people clamouring for "veteran hole fillers" are interested in.

I agree with everything JBR says but I will add my own two cents. Let's say for example you are concerned about the WIL position this year. Obviously we weren't bringing in anyone in the past because we had Bowman and bringing in a veteran backup to a proven commodity is both expensive and generally completely uneccessary. Parker is by no means a proen commodity in the CFL and even if I personally am high on him, it doesn't mean squat. However, we are at the VERY least better off with him than we would be with Shomari Williams who is the closest thing to a WIL LB who hit free agency this year.

Or if you're in the mood for a DB, last year we could have signed Byron Parker who was signed by BC and had a less than stellar year only to be released and signed by Montreal. Let's see if he lasts more than one year there.

To say one "marquee" free agent in the last 4 years would solidify four positions is absolutely ludicrous. Remember when everyone in Winnipeg was crestfallen that we couldn't finalize a deal with "marquee" free agent Richard Karikari a few years back? That one sure bit us in the butt.

On offence the only real uncertainties are qb and coaching.... we saw the other parts of that offense show how good they can be last year at times. More consistency out of the qb position and in general is required but there's pieces there at RB and receiver and o-line that could put that offense in the pack if the qb play is consistent. 

Defensively we've seen a lot of good things from all the defensive linemen, not really worried there, the secondary should be fine, there's lots of talent there even with Hefney being released. linebackers are really the only part of the defense that is a real unknown... but it could also work out too. Parker was kept around all of last year for a reason and Sears is just a hell of a player, if he adjusts well there it can certainly not be a weakness. 

To say that everything is a big uncertainty is quite honestly just looking to be negative. 

Marquee FA's Like Chris Bauman? I doubt he would he be locking down a position, despite the cries that Mack should spend some 'real money for a proven veteran' when he was on the market. Buck Pierce was quite the high profile FA signing in 2010. In 2011 we signed nobody memorable and went to the Grey Cup. I think we missed out on Dominic Picard while we had little say in where Brendon Labatte went in 2012, yet a non-move like losing Gregg Carr, which Mack was skewered in the papers for, turned out to be a big gain in Chris Matthews. This year we picked up Cauchy Muamba who is undoubtedly an upgrade over Ian Logan.

I see balance in an approach like this... try to find the right players for the right roles. It's just as hard as it sounds. Picking up cast-offs from other teams doesn't always translate to success. For every Andy Fantuz there's a Chris Bauman.

I'm not sure how it isn't the question.  You can't criticize someone for not adding veteran free agents without being able to back that argument up.  CFL free agency is populated by guys that are there for a reason.  Being a free agent is not a good thing, because it means the team you were on did not want you.  It's not hockey or baseball.  Generally changing teams in football is a really bad thing for a career, particularly for CFL imports.  There is the odd guy who hits free agency who was stuck behind other guys on his team, but those guys are not usually the ones that people clamouring for "veteran hole fillers" are interested in.

You can't draw a broad stroke over all free agents like that, the Bombers let Labatte go because they didn't want him is what you just said, which is complete BS. Same with Gregg Carr, they thought the deal was done and he slimed them in the end. There are many reasons why guys go to free agency other than their team didn't want them anymore, the biggest factor being the SMS now but money is almost always the main reason.

And you missed the point of the thread, what has changed this year with the way the team approaches the off season.........zip, nada, nothing......it was the same off season as 2011 & 2012 as far the approach to addition and subtraction.

You can't draw a broad stroke over all free agents like that, the Bombers let Labatte go because they didn't want him is what you just said, which is complete BS. Same with Gregg Carr, they thought the deal was done and he slimed them in the end. There are many reasons why guys go to free agency other than their team didn't want them anymore, the biggest factor being the SMS now but money is almost always the main reason.

And you missed the point of the thread, what has changed this year with the way the team approaches the off season.........zip, nada, nothing......it was the same off season as 2011 & 2012 as far the approach to addition and subtraction.

I am so glad that you said that... You do remember what happened in 2011 don't you? Team stayed healthier, most notably at the qb position and it was in the grey cup. Now unless you're going to point to a qb that was a FA that was going to fix the position then You can kindly take this "You need to sign FAs" attitude and stuff it. They picked up a fairly significant FA this year and you still *****.. Free agency in the CFL is really as much of a crap shoot as the draft is. Honestly most of this "mack hates free agents" nonsense comes from last year when Sask signed Picard and Labatte and Carr went to Edmonton which is quite unfair in the grand scheme of things. Labatte and Carr are documented as having been less than truthful with their intentions to the bombers. 

I am so glad that you said that... You do remember what happened in 2011 don't you? Team stayed healthier, most notably at the qb position and it was in the grey cup. Now unless you're going to point to a qb that was a FA that was going to fix the position then You can kindly take this "You need to sign FAs" attitude and stuff it. They picked up a fairly significant FA this year and you still *****.. Free agency in the CFL is really as much of a crap shoot as the draft is. Honestly most of this "mack hates free agents" nonsense comes from last year when Sask signed Picard and Labatte and Carr went to Edmonton which is quite unfair in the grand scheme of things. Labatte and Carr are documented as having been less than truthful with their intentions to the bombers. 

And thank you, you are the only one who recognizes the point, which was that nothing different has happened than what has happened before with the approach of management. I'm not saying that they should have signed veterans to replace the likes of Willis, Lobo, Kent and now Hefney.......only that they didn't. Had they gone that route, it would have been a detour from what they have done in prior years.

Apparently it wasn't as obvious to some but, it should be common knowledge for football fans that when you replace a proven player at a position with a prospect there is usually a learning curve and drop off at the position before any real progress is made. Thinking you can just 'plug in' a prospect (even a sophomore) at the professional level without a drop off initially, is just foolish.

Now a team that goes from GC finalist to out of the playoffs the following year (in spectacular fashion too boot) should be enough proof of the kind of drop off you can have if you go too far.

Apparently it wasn't as obvious to some but, it should be common knowledge for football fans that when you replace a proven player at a position with a prospect there is usually a learning curve and drop off at the position before any real progress is made. Thinking you can just 'plug in' a prospect (even a sophomore) at the professional level without a drop off initially, is just foolish.

Now a team that goes from GC finalist to out of the playoffs the following year (in spectacular fashion too boot) should be enough proof of the kind of drop off you can have if you go too far.

cough cough Chris Matthews cough cough