Howell back as WR coach

Mike

As per official Bomber Twitter.

Well ... I am underwhelmed heavily by us retaining Howell.

Yet ANOTHER Canadian though.

Hopefully I've just been wrong about his performance as a coach and a good QB will make it clear that he is capable of doing the job.

I think MSW had a more serious injury than was let on... wouldn't say it was Howell keeping him out of the lineup - who knows with this last season though...

We have had a lot of receivers come in and show well, then fade... so we'll see I guess.

I don't think Howell can be judged properly by the mess that the entire team was. Need a better all-around offense to judge it properly...

I'm going to have to agree with this despite some reservations.

It's interesting to see Walker step up and say that…would be nice hear more players' opinions.

One thing I can say in support of Howell... he stuck around in the CFL for a lot of years as a bottom-of-roster SB for a number of years.

Chances are he has a lot of experience being "coached hard." 

He stuck around from about 2004 on, save his stint in Ottawa. cause he could play special teams and step in at DB or receiver in a crisis.

One thing I can say in support of Howell... he stuck around in the CFL for a lot of years as a bottom-of-roster SB for a number of years.

Chances are he has a lot of experience being "coached hard." 

He stuck around from about 2004 on, save his stint in Ottawa. cause he could play special teams and step in at DB or receiver in a crisis.

My point exactly.  Guys like that are usually role-playing, character guys, and their shortcomings get coached hard.  They spend a lot of time on the sidelines watching the first stringers and analyzing their games.

For the right player, that can translate into an unofficial head start into coaching.  You see a lot of former backups and guys that couldn't make the pro level now coaching in every sport.  Just saying that Howell's career may not have been as a world-beating star, but that it doesn't condemn him as a coach.

Seeing how Denmark got worse after his rookie season and how Matthews got worse after his rookie season and how even after a few years Etienne wasn't making a lot of progress and Poblah wasn't making much progress I really have some questions about the effectiveness of the coaching the receivers were getting but it's one of those things that we just don't know. Maybe Crowton takes a lot of the blame for that? I'll give him a chance but I expect to see better results than we've had.