Community Elect Bombers BOD?

BigBlue

I suggest the Bombers go to a fan elected Board of Governors for our beloved Big Blue:

1. Hold elections once a year for 4 board members

2. Each season ticket holder has 1 vote .... no one else has any votes

3. Term is 3 years

4. 12 elected Governors in all (so the board is completely turned over every 3 years)

5. Nominations for elections come from both the club and the general public.

6. No successive terms of office i.e. no re-elections to a 2nd term ... must sit out for at least 3 years before being nominated again

7. The board (through change in its constitution) must become more transparent with many of its affairs especially and including a detailed budget.

Would you like to see a community elected BOD over the Blue Bombers?

Much as I hate to say this .... this type of governance works quite well in Rider-Ville and seems to be the difference between a well run football club and what we have been experiencing here in Winnipeg

Our board resembles a self serving old boys club filled with cronyism .... and I don't know what could be worse than that for us

Much as I hate to say this .... this type of governance works quite well in Rider-Ville and seems to be the difference between a well run football club and what we have been experiencing here in Winnipeg

Our board resembles a self serving old boys club filled with cronyism .... and I don't know what could be worse than that for us

And yet the Riders don't do most of your points. The only thing they do allow is for shareholders (who don't have to be season ticket holders) to vote for BoD members but I'm not sure if that vote is actually binding. 

I for one would love to see this. I understand some people's hesitation and opposition to this, mainly due to how our fans react to things, but Sask fans are very similar and their Board format seems to be working well, not to mention the Packers Board and how they operate. If done the right way, I believe this would be a great thing for the Bombers.

What Saskatchewan does is hardly different than what we've started doing. They allow the public to submit candidates who have to go through board approval.

The only difference is they give shareholders a vote. The catch? Their vote is about as meaningful as the stock they hold. It holds very little weight in the process, it's more symbolic than anything.

I don't like political appointments to the board.

You don't think governments should have representation on a Board when there's taxpayer's money involved?

No, actually I don't. Too much political interference. It is what it is, unfortunately. I'd prefer that the team was privately owned.

What Saskatchewan does is hardly different than what we've started doing. They allow the public to submit candidates who have to go through board approval.

The only difference is they give shareholders a vote. The catch? Their vote is about as meaningful as the stock they hold. It holds very little weight in the process, it's more symbolic than anything.

So how come Sask is doing loads better than the Bombers on and off the field ?

I would assume leadership is part of it no ?

we could talk about why they are doing better all day. but rest assured its not cause fake shareholders get to rubber stamp a nominee in some hokey vote.

we could talk about why they are doing better all day. but rest assured its not cause fake shareholders get to rubber stamp a nominee in some hokey vote.

Not going to disagree with that, but their Board gets results both on and off the field.

Not going to disagree with that, but their Board gets results both on and off the field.

Maybe its as simple as they have better / more qualified people on their board.    Jim Hopson, their CEO also has a lot to do with their success.

The boards job should really be giving guidance at a high level and making sure the right people are running the organization.   They shouldn't be hiring / firing coaches and GMs.

The board should put the right people in place for the organization to run.  Lets hope they finally got it right with Wade Miller.

Maybe its as simple as they have better / more qualified people on their board.    Jim Hopson, their CEO also has a lot to do with their success.

The boards job should really be giving guidance at a high level and making sure the right people are running the organization.   They shouldn't be hiring / firing coaches and GMs.

The board should put the right people in place for the organization to run.  Lets hope they finally got it right with Wade Miller.

I agree on all points.

Rich, you and I have discussed this before, essentially all I want is accountability, the right people governing, not meddling in day to day ops etc.

The fact that leaks are still occurring, nothing was done about the Mack leak, Mack being hired by the Board in the first place, certain members clearly having a lot of influence on the Board and are treating the Bombers as their own toy etc, is not sitting well with me. The Board IMO is just an knee jerky as some the fans, and yet realistically there's nothing we fans can do about it, because inevitably it would just lead to more knee jerk reactions or us fans hurting the team.