Potential FAs list

sweep the leg

Hmm, I thought Dan LeFevour would have been on this list, given that he signed in 2012.  Wonder if he was extended, or if he was originally on a three-year deal.

LeFevour is just another version of Justin Goltz...

Well….a better version of JG, he will be their protected QB, according to Drew Edwards's mock protected list:

•QB (1)

Dan LeFevour: With Henry Burris set to become a free agent, there's no reason to protect him in the draft. LeFevour now has two years of backup experience and played a bigger role this season.

- Marcellus Bowman should be protected and may end up playing MLB

- the CFL has decided not to make the protected lists public.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/

id definitely offer Simpson essentially the same contract as now... maaaaaaybe a little more for loyalty sake but hes barely had a handful of decent games with what, 1-2 reaaaally good ones? he capable, hes shown that but is he healed? can it be fixed, whatever ongoing issues plague him? when healthy, hes as good as anyone else in the cfl imo... its just him staying at 100% that has to be a concern..

but then again, if we manage to get both ford and him again and go to Ford quicker if he doesnt maintain.. not a bad option.. RBs are a dime a dozen tho and neither are exceptional blockers, Ford being the better of the two..

Heh, after essentially quitting with a small foot injury, you think Simpson wants to come back?

Hmm, I thought Dan LeFevour would have been on this list, given that he signed in 2012.  Wonder if he was extended, or if he was originally on a three-year deal.

Well….a better version of JG, he will be their protected QB, according to Drew Edwards's mock protected list:

•QB (1)

Dan LeFevour: With Henry Burris set to become a free agent, there's no reason to protect him in the draft. LeFevour now has two years of backup experience and played a bigger role this season.

This, to me, is where the CFL always fails...  why not make the lists public?  CFL needs fans, stats/info/anything helps fans get hooked.  If it was me, I'd have neg lists, contracts, etc all accessible to fans - that and I'd pay more stats guys even before we pay the refs, ha.

I also think that a few teams are going to get 'busted' by leaving FAs unprotected...  if Burris was left open, why not sign him and use the next two months to sign him.

id definitely offer Simpson essentially the same contract as now... maaaaaaybe a little more for loyalty sake but hes barely had a handful of decent games with what, 1-2 reaaaally good ones? he capable, hes shown that but is he healed? can it be fixed, whatever ongoing issues plague him? when healthy, hes as good as anyone else in the cfl imo... its just him staying at 100% that has to be a concern..

but then again, if we manage to get both ford and him again and go to Ford quicker if he doesnt maintain.. not a bad option.. RBs are a dime a dozen tho and neither are exceptional blockers, Ford being the better of the two..

Heh, after essentially quitting with a small foot injury, you think Simpson wants to come back?

while i do agree with you to a point, he did tow the company line enough to make me think he would come back.. different scenarios and coaches, hell Jeff Fisher returning could be enticing..

I don't know what you guys think, but even though Hank can be Frank like we saw last Sunday, handing the reigns to Dan LeFevour  would be a major regression at the qb position for the Ti Cats. LeFevour like Goltz, is more at home in a Wildcat offense. He would be awful directing a conventional CFL offense because he'd have to read defenses & throw the football. Teams would take away the outside on LeFevour &  make him beat them with his throwing.

I don't know what you guys think, but even though Hank can be Frank like we saw last Sunday, handing the reigns to Dan LeFevour  would be a major regression at the qb position for the Ti Cats. LeFevour like Goltz, is more at home in a Wildcat offense. He would be awful directing a conventional CFL offense because he'd have to read defenses & throw the football. Teams would take away the outside on LeFevour &  make him beat them with his throwing.

I imagine that the Cats would go after Drew Willy or another available QB. I definitely can't see LeFevour as a starting QB next year.

I imagine that the Cats would go after Drew Willy or another available QB. I definitely can't see LeFevour as a starting QB next year.

IMO the Cats are going to be pushing for Zach Collaros as hard or harder than the Bombers, so I hope the Bombers aren't just expecting him to be handed to us on a silver platter.

•QB (1)

This, to me, is where the CFL always fails...  why not make the lists public?  CFL needs fans, stats/info/anything helps fans get hooked.  If it was me, I'd have neg lists, contracts, etc all accessible to fans - that and I'd pay more stats guys even before we pay the refs, ha.

I also think that a few teams are going to get 'busted' by leaving FAs unprotected...  if Burris was left open, why not sign him and use the next two months to sign him.

The lists aren't being made public for good reason.  For the respect of the players, it does little good, and much more potential harm.  How would you feel if you, as a player, knew you were unprotected, didn't get picked by Ottawa, and the had to report to your current team for training camp the next season?  Players and management sometimes have fragile relationships to begin with so why add another element of friction to the problem.,    

It would also create a media frenzy.  Reporters would be drilling GMs/coaches ad nauseum, "Why did you protect this guy? Why didn't you protect that guy?" Who wants to hear all that? Does a GM need to be defending each and every decision he makes? 

Bottom line is, it could create unnecessary conflict between many teams, and that's not something the league would be prepared to deal with on the grand scale.

•QB (1)

The lists aren't being made public for good reason.  For the respect of the players, it does little good, and much more potential harm.  How would you feel if you, as a player, knew you were unprotected, didn't get picked by Ottawa, and the had to report to your current team for training camp the next season?  Players and management sometimes have fragile relationships to begin with so why add another element of friction to the problem.,    

It would also create a media frenzy.  Reporters would be drilling GMs/coaches ad nauseum, "Why did you protect this guy? Why didn't you protect that guy?" Who wants to hear all that? Does a GM need to be defending each and every decision he makes? 

Bottom line is, it could create unnecessary conflict between many teams, and that's not something the league would be prepared to deal with on the grand scale.

I'm quite sure the players are going to find out if they were protected or not.

And another juicy snippet, this time courtesy of Rod Peterson via Drew Edwards at The Scratching Post:

• Riders radio play-by-play man Rod Pedersen says he's hearing Henry Burris won't be back in Hamilton next season. I pass this along just for your information and without comment of any kind. (Drew's Words)

"It's looking more and more like Henry Burris WON'T be back with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2014.  At least, that's the word I'm getting.  Fear not Hank -- I'm sure he'd be welcomed in Winnipeg or Ottawa.(Rod's words)

And another juicy snippet, this time courtesy of Rod Peterson via Drew Edwards at The Scratching Post:

• Riders radio play-by-play man Rod Pedersen says he's hearing Henry Burris won't be back in Hamilton next season. I pass this along just for your information and without comment of any kind. (Drew's Words)

"It's looking more and more like Henry Burris WON'T be back with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2014.  At least, that's the word I'm getting.  Fear not Hank -- I'm sure he'd be welcomed in Winnipeg or Ottawa.(Rod's words)

In other words, it's a lock that Hank will re-sign with the Ticats.

I'll be *gobsmacked if he doesn't.  :D

* a tip of the hat to GCn11

•QB (1)

I'm quite sure the players are going to find out if they were protected or not.

I'm quite sure the teams won't be openly disclosing the lists to their players.  If management finds it necessary however, they may explain their decision privately to a select few players out of courtesy.  That is their prerogative.

The Minnesota Vikings worked out Canadian Football League standout pass rusher Alex Hall, according to a league source.The Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive end wasn't immediately signed to a contract. He was traded to Saskatchewan from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this season. He was named an East Division All-Star.

The Vikings also worked out wide receivers Dontrelle Inman, Chris Matthews and Nick Moore and defensive tackle Ted Laurent.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Vikings-work-out-CFL-pass-rusher-Alex-Hall.html

Slightly off topic but I'm watching the Jags-Texans game (as the Jets were playing like poop tonight) and I saw them iso on Austin Pasztor at guard for the Jags and talk about how he's got a long career ahead of him on the O-line there.  That made me smile as I still remember that jerk Tillman high-fiving everyone when Edmonton got to draft him after Mack took Pencer instead.  Who's laughing now Eric??

Slightly off topic but I'm watching the Jags-Texans game (as the Jets were playing like poop tonight) and I saw them iso on Austin Pasztor at guard for the Jags and talk about how he's got a long career ahead of him on the O-line there.  That made me smile as I still remember that jerk Tillman high-fiving everyone when Edmonton got to draft him after Mack took Pencer instead.  Who's laughing now Eric??

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Tillman & Co. looked ridiculous.

Slightly off topic but I'm watching the Jags-Texans game (as the Jets were playing like poop tonight) and I saw them iso on Austin Pasztor at guard for the Jags and talk about how he's got a long career ahead of him on the O-line there. That made me smile as I still remember that jerk Tillman high-fiving everyone when Edmonton got to draft him after Mack took Pencer instead. Who's laughing now Eric??

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Tillman & Co. looked ridiculous.

oh im sure there is a large group of us around :)

• Riders radio play-by-play man Rod Pedersen says he's hearing Henry Burris won't be back in Hamilton next season. I pass this along just for your information and without comment of any kind. (Drew's Words)

"It's looking more and more like Henry Burris WON'T be back with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2014. At least, that's the word I'm getting. Fear not Hank -- I'm sure he'd be welcomed in Winnipeg or Ottawa.(Rod's words)

I'll be *gobsmacked if he doesn't. :D

* a tip of the hat to GCn11

is that a direct fubar or is there a joke flying over my head?

id be godsmacked if i missed it.