Depth Chart Vs. Hamilton

Atomic

I am worried about this strategy, to be honest.

The problem with sending all rookies to play against their vets is that all the TiCats will have to do is find one weakness to exploit.  If there is just one guy in the secondary that is not CFL ready, he will get torched and the defence will suffer for it.  With the secondary being all first year players, that weakness may not be hard to find. (And there may be more than one.)

It will be very difficult to evaluate individuals, if it's 1 or 2 players constantly getting beat.

That goes the same for the offence.  If there is one o-lineman who can't stand up to the pressure, the whole offence and it's game plan will be out the window.  How do you properly evaluate if the o-line is constantly breaking down and giving the QB no time to do anything?

The Bombers are staking the deck against Goltz. He will be playing with back-ups, 3rd stringers and future cuts, at WR and O-line, against Hamilton's #1s. 

That is my fear.  My worst case scenario. 

As far as leaving Buck at home though, I completely agree.  It's time to evaluate the new guys.  Sure, Buck will be rusty for the first game, but playing him in this pre-season game is a short term solution to a long term problem.  We need to get Goltz as much playing time as possible, because we know he will be called upon sooner or later.

I agree. Never before have I seen "all in" in an exhibition football game.

It's both scary and intriguing.

Burke's decision making has been questioned in the past.

Is this another example?

But it's not like we haven't seen 52-0 before...

I am worried about this strategy, to be honest.

The problem with sending all rookies to play against their vets is that all the TiCats will have to do is find one weakness to exploit.  If there is just one guy in the secondary that is not CFL ready, he will get torched and the defence will suffer for it.  With the secondary being all first year players, that weakness may not be hard to find. (And there may be more than one.)

It will be very difficult to evaluate individuals, if it's 1 or 2 players constantly getting beat.

That goes the same for the offence.  If there is one o-lineman who can't stand up to the pressure, the whole offence and it's game plan will be out the window.  How do you properly evaluate if the o-line is constantly breaking down and giving the QB no time to do anything?

The Bombers are staking the deck against Goltz. He will be playing with back-ups, 3rd stringers and future cuts, at WR and O-line, against Hamilton's #1s. 

That is my fear.  My worst case scenario. 

I don't really agree with that... If there's a few guys getting torched over and over and over again it actually makes the coaches job easier in evaluating.... shows that those guys have no right being on the team so cut em. You can see who is making the right decisions and doing the right things on film even if the score is out of hand as well so it's not like there's no way to evaluate things. I really do think that this is a very good way for the coaches to see which of the rookies/backups/borderline guys will rise to the challenge or sink with the added responsibility, the trouble is that I think you also need to use the 2nd preseason game as a way to get the first teamers some reps so that they're ready to start the season.

I don't really agree with that... If there's a few guys getting torched over and over and over again it actually makes the coaches job easier in evaluating.... shows that those guys have no right being on the team so cut em. You can see who is making the right decisions and doing the right things on film even if the score is out of hand as well so it's not like there's no way to evaluate things. I really do think that this is a very good way for the coaches to see which of the rookies/backups/borderline guys will rise to the challenge or sink with the added responsibility, the trouble is that I think you also need to use the 2nd preseason game as a way to get the first teamers some reps so that they're ready to start the season.

I agree with your second point.  The first team guys have barely played and it could be especially noticeable on offence, where timing is key.

As far as evaluating is concerned, sometimes a good player can get sucked into trying to do too much.  If certain players on the defence are getting torched, one or more players might start to feel like they need to do more than their own job to compensate.  That's just human nature and it's a trap that even veteran players fall into.

It's almost like a house of cards.  You take one card out and the whole thing collapses.

And that's just on defence.

On offence, having a player that may never see a CFL field again playing at WR, (Along with some 2nd and 3rd stringers.), and o-linemen that are 2nd and 3rd stringers, really hamstrings your QB.  It's difficult to evaluate a QB if they only have 1 or 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. (And how do you evaluate a WR if the QBs never have enough time to get them the ball?)

Giving Goltz 2nd and 3rd string WRs behind 2nd and 3rd string offencive linemen while playing against the TiCats first team defence just feels like they are putting him in an untenable situation. 

If he is successful in that situation, then que the QB controversy, because he would deserve to start. :)

On offence, having a player that may never see a CFL field again playing at WR, (Along with some 2nd and 3rd stringers.), and o-linemen that are 2nd and 3rd stringers, really hamstrings your QB.  It's difficult to evaluate a QB if they only have 1 or 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. (And how do you evaluate a WR if the QBs never have enough time to get them the ball?)

Giving Goltz 2nd and 3rd string WRs behind 2nd and 3rd string offencive linemen while playing against the TiCats first team defence just feels like they are putting him in an untenable situation. 

If he is successful in that situation, then que the QB controversy, because he would deserve to start. :)

This is where I disagree a bit. Receivers you can see on film who is going where they're supposed to even if they never see the ball, you can see who is getting open on film even if they never see the ball... You have all kinds of practise time to see who has hands and who doesn't so they don't need to actually get the ball to make a decision on if they're good enough or not, that's a trap that fans fall into, thinking that coaches need a stat sheet to see who is good and who isn't. If a qb is on his ass the whole time it does make it difficult to move the ball, but you also see how his decision making process is and whether he can throw under pressure or how elusive they might be. Again it's not a cut and dried situation where they need to go 65% completions and have 400 yards passing for the coaches to know if they're good enough. They will have a lot of practise time to know who can be an accurate passer or not. 

This is where I disagree a bit. Receivers you can see on film who is going where they're supposed to even if they never see the ball, you can see who is getting open on film even if they never see the ball... You have all kinds of practise time to see who has hands and who doesn't so they don't need to actually get the ball to make a decision on if they're good enough or not, that's a trap that fans fall into, thinking that coaches need a stat sheet to see who is good and who isn't. If a qb is on his ass the whole time it does make it difficult to move the ball, but you also see how his decision making process is and whether he can throw under pressure or how elusive they might be. Again it's not a cut and dried situation where they need to go 65% completions and have 400 yards passing for the coaches to know if they're good enough. They will have a lot of practise time to know who can be an accurate passer or not. 

That's very true.  A lot of evaluation can be done by watching how they practice.

That reminds me of a story that Jeff Garcia told about his first training camp with the Stamps.  Apparently he is not the greatest "practice" QB and because of that he almost got cut.  They didn't cut him though, and he ended up getting into one of the pre-season games where he played really well...and the rest is history.

One good thing for Goltz and the rest of the QBs is that the TiCat secondary isn't exactly the CFL's elite.

Incredibly true but at the same thing, if your OL is failing you entirely then they're likely not providing enough time for any of that to develop.

Incredibly true but at the same thing, if your OL is failing you entirely then they're likely not providing enough time for any of that to develop.

Yeah but I also get the impression that at this point they really know what the team is going to look like anyway they just want to see a couple specific guys and how they do. I'd expect all the qbs to be kept around because unfortunately I think we'll need all 4 of them again.

They will definitely need all 4.  That is why I am glad they left Buck at home.  It may leave him a little rusty for the first game, but the others need as much time as humanly possible because you know that, at least Goltz, (Or whoever they make #2), will be seeing the field at some point this season. 

People make too much of the pre-season, really.

I agree with your second point.  The first team guys have barely played and it could be especially noticeable on offence, where timing is key.

As far as evaluating is concerned, sometimes a good player can get sucked into trying to do too much.  If certain players on the defence are getting torched, one or more players might start to feel like they need to do more than their own job to compensate.  That's just human nature and it's a trap that even veteran players fall into.

It's almost like a house of cards.  You take one card out and the whole thing collapses.

And that's just on defence.

To be fair, it is HAMILTON's first team defence... that's like most teams' 2nd team D.

The real interesting question mark for me is Morley and Swiston both not playing in Hamilton, but Sorenson is. Suggests to me that either one of Morley and Swiston is injured, or both have made the team.  If that's the case... is it possible that Morley has won the starting C job, and and Swiston has won the RG?

There a couple issues when the starters aren't given time in the pre-season.  Their timing is going to be off.  The first regular season game will basically be their pre-season game.  The other issue is that we can't make adjustments.  We won't be trying even the blandest vanilla of the new Crowton plan with the guys who will be executing it in game 1, so we don't know which ideas are working, which need to be scrapped or adjusted.  All this stuff will happen when the games count. 

To be fair, it is HAMILTON's first team defence... that's like most teams' 2nd team D.

The real interesting question mark for me is Morley and Swiston both not playing in Hamilton, but Sorenson is. Suggests to me that either one of Morley and Swiston is injured, or both have made the team.  If that's the case... is it possible that Morley has won the starting C job, and and Swiston has won the RG?

Morley isn't playing center dude.  Sorenson has it locked up. Swiston is banged up so isn't making the trip, I believe I read that somewhere.

I agree. Never before have I seen "all in" in an exhibition football game.

It's both scary and intriguing.

Burke's decision making has been questioned in the past.

Is this another example?

But it's not like we haven't seen 52-0 before...

Actually, there is a precedent for this. Not sure of the exact year, but once upon a time way back when, Bud Grant took the Bombers to Montreal and played all his rookies and back-ups for the whole game. IIRC, the final score was Montreal 53, Winnipeg 0.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that happen again.

Actually, there is a precedent for this. Not sure of the exact year, but once upon a time way back when, Bud Grant took the Bombers to Montreal and played all his rookies and back-ups for the whole game. IIRC, the final score was Montreal 53, Winnipeg 0.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that happen again.

It was in 1962.  We won the Cup that year, then didn't win it again until 1984.  Man that was a long drought.  Not sure how the fans put up with it.

man quite the collection of walking wounded already.  I just hope we have a starting RT and a starting RB on June 27th.  That would put us ahead of last year's opening game where we had to start the human turnstyle Taormina and the "don't ask me to run a screen" Bloi Dei Dorzon.  Man last year was just such a cluster-freak.  Unbelievable.