Rumour: Danny McManus Potential Assistant GM Candidate

Jpan85

Jacquie......Fisher must have announced it to you. Not sure it made it anywhere else.

Okay it wasn't announced but it was reported a few weeks ago that he would be.

Great news here if true...

Also expect #Bombers to have Jeff Fisher involved in some football operations capacity with athletic training/strength + conditioning. #CFL

http://www.morningbigblue.com/community/topic/1848-arash-madani-miller-trying-to-force-rick-worman-on-walters/?p=27246

Jacquie......Fisher must have announced it to you. Not sure it made it anywhere else.

Okay it wasn't announced but it was reported a few weeks ago that he would be.

Great news here if true...

Also expect #Bombers to have Jeff Fisher involved in some football operations capacity with athletic training/strength + conditioning. #CFL

http://www.morningbigblue.com/community/topic/1848-arash-madani-miller-trying-to-force-rick-worman-on-walters/?p=27246

That's not reporting, that's a rumour.  :wacko:

Nobody told the GM about Fisher either. I guess he isn't in the secret circle.

Give me a break with your witch hunt. He's going to be the team conditioning guy, not the assistant GM, and optics aside he's a great hire.

Who cares who hires the person for that role whether it's Miller, Walters or the Queen of England

McManus and Jones seem fine with me...  I would prefer OShea as HC surrounded by experienced guys though

We are riding a 'fine line' between the old boys club and a rebuild...

Why would O'Shea be a better candidate than Khari as a head coach who has to game plan & call plays every time the team has the ball? A special teams coordinator over an offensive coordinator? Both have never been a HC. I'd prefer a better all around candidate who has coached both sides of the ball at the pro level so we don't get the Tim Burke "I don't understand offense" excuse.This is all part of  the experience thing I was talking about.

Well if I am the GM in waiting I care who gets hired, I care about all the speculation that seems to be rampant and I care if I am involved in the process, consulted or even informed. If that seems to be too much to ask I guess my expectations of running a football ops department are out of line.

Yes they are out of line. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes at the moment...but you keep harping about the GM not knowing what is going on. Give it a rest already!

I'd prefer if the job search here was reversed. With so many NFL teams as well as NCAA schools we need a GM who has contacts down south first & an assistant who can work the CIS schools. Not the other way around. I'd be all for Danny getting the GM job & Walters his assistant GM if he wants him.

Today we're hearing that the Bombers will ask for permission to speak with Jeremy O'Day after Sunday about the GM job here.  Maybe Walters isn't the automatic hire that everyone is expecting?  Or maybe it is just a token interview to say we've gone through the process.  So many rumours, it will be interesting to see how it finally ends up shaking down.

Well if I am the GM in waiting I care who gets hired, I care about all the speculation that seems to be rampant and I care if I am involved in the process, consulted or even informed. If that seems to be too much to ask I guess my expectations of running a football ops department are out of line.

If you've been told you're the successful candidate, and that the Bombers are going to "run through an exhaustive search" and respect the CFL's gag order on personnel moves until after the Grey Cup... then the people being hired (or offered positions that will not be announced until after the GC) have most likely been hired by you, albeit under your interim GM tag.

I don't understand the big deal around here about everyone thinking Miller's the brains behind these hires.  He's the only guy without an interim tag.  And he's securing the personnel that he and Walters want, getting them on the payroll before other teams come calling.

This whole theory goes to hell in a handbasket if Walters ISN'T the GM.  But I don't think ANY moves would have been announced if he isn't.

I'd prefer if the job search here was reversed. With so many NFL teams as well as NCAA schools we need a GM who has contacts down south first & an assistant who can work the CIS schools. Not the other way around. I'd be all for Danny getting the GM job & Walters his assistant GM if he wants him.

In a league where all teams have a capable QB... the quality of your Canadian content is the difference between winning and losing.  

And don't kid yourself, Walters has a very extensive network south of the border.  His knowledge of the CIS schools is his "difference maker" trait.  One of the things the Bombers have struggled with most over the past 5 years is determining how 4-down American players would transition to the nuances of the CFL game.  No doubt McManus has been successful with this; but he likely hasn't had experience in the other responsibilities.  Walters has only been in the AGM chair one year, true, but it's a year ahead in the process.  McManus would be a good hire for his scouting savvy, but the NFL is full of stories of head scouts that didn't transition well to GM responsibilities.  Best to develop him along a natural progression.

One of the things the Bombers have struggled with most over the past 5 years is determining how 4-down American players would transition to the nuances of the CFL game. 

That doesn't sound right, seems to me the people they were recruiting were doing just fine coming up here. Didn't everyone spend the most time bitching about quarterbacks and lack of veterans?

And don't kid yourself, Walters has a very extensive network south of the border.  His knowledge of the CIS schools is his "difference maker" trait.  One of the things the Bombers have struggled with most over the past 5 years is determining how 4-down American players would transition to the nuances of the CFL game.

He does ?

Correct me if I'm correct, but wasn't it Moll and Mack who had the contacts and did most of the scouting down south ?