Carter Getting His Shot Tonight

Original Story Here

BRETT CARTER slapped his signature on a standard CFL contract on Monday -- a moment he plans to remember with a framed copy.

And now comes the really fun part.

Carter, the 20-year-old Winnipeg Rifles receiver and University of Winnipeg student, has been the feel-good story of Bomber training camp. And tonight in a pre-season game against the Toronto Argonauts in the first football contest played at Investors Group Field, Carter will run onto the field as a member of the team he grew up idolizing.

"I can't wait for that," said a beaming Carter Tuesday. "I've been dreaming about this for the last two nights. I'm just picturing that... I hear it's a soldout crowd now. It's going to be unreal. I can remember when I was 5-6 years old in my seats watching the Bombers. And now getting to be able to play on the field with the Bombers... it's unreal."

Story Continued at link ...

Always nice to see local kids get a shot and do well when given an opportunity .. will be interesting to see how he fares.

I'd love to see this kid make the team, but I still think he's in tough. I really hope he takes a tough hit or two, just because I want to see how he responds.

Looking to see how he responds to a good hit will be interesting.  I am also interested to see what his blocking capabilities are like.  I am assuming he will be playing special teams too.

He's going to be a depth guy (if anything) but I've long held to the belief that the organization should do more to develop and retain local talent.  It is also something fans can get behind as well .. they identify with local kids .. Manitoba products .. simply another way to connect with the onfield product.

That said, talent always trumps birth place .. but it would be nice to see more players who played in Manitoba .. getting a chance with the Bombers.

What I would really love is to see him catch a TD sometime in the pre-season.

Can he go back to the CIS after this?

Actually he is in junior, not CIS.  Pretty sure he can go back but I bet they keep him on the practice roster with the big club.

Carter's as good as Etienne now after only  just one preseason game. He'll make this team. Good thing Jade worked out this off season & got  into the playbook as Carter might have taken his spot. And good on Jade for finally realizing he's a pro football player & really does belong. 

Carter's as good as Etienne now after only  just one preseason game. He'll make this team. Good thing Jade worked out this off season & got  into the playbook as Carter might have taken his spot. And good on Jade for finally realizing he's a pro football player & really does belong. 

I wouldn't say that at all.

Etienne was clearly ahead of Carter last night whether they both made two catches or not. I saw a side of JE that we haven't seen before as far as attitude goes and the amount of times he got seperation on his cover was great.

Etienne was clearly ahead of Carter last night whether they both made two catches or not. I saw a side of JE that we haven't seen before as far as attitude goes and the amount of times he got seperation on his cover was great.

Also I don't think Jade Etienne just "finally realized he's a pro" he was drafeted raw and he's been working at it and getting better.

Saw Etienne have separation on his DB a couple times on a deep fly.  A good read and throw would have resulted in a TD.

That said there are definitely some good things about Carter too.  To be honest, I didn't notice Kito out there a lot.  Saw him once with a step on his DB, but even if the ball gets there it is questionable if he catches it.  Poblah has a lot to prove to me.

I predict that Jade Etienne will be a starter by the end of the season. He is fast and covers a lot of ground quickly, and as others have pointed out he looks like he has a chip on his shoulder and is ready to prove the doubters wrong. Call me an optimist, but there's a reason why we drafted him to begin with.

wouldnt be surprise if etienne jump over poblah in the depth chart. and im a poblah fan.

watson starts and backed up by poblah

etienne starts and backed up by kohlert (or carter) 

B)

I like the look of this.

Also I don't think Jade Etienne just "finally realized he's a pro" he was drafeted raw and he's been working at it and getting better.

Carter's not raw at 20 coming right out of junior football??? Looks to me that it's all about how you think of yourself. The mental aspect of the game is 70%. Carter's confident & believes in himself. Etienne is just figuring that out.

Carter's not raw at 20 coming right out of junior football??? Looks to me that it's all about how you think of yourself. The mental aspect of the game is 70%. Carter's confident & believes in himself. Etienne is just figuring that out.

Etienne was a kicker until a year or so before his draft though right? You think a guy like Carter who has been playing receiver presumably his whole career wouldn't have as steep a learning curve right?

Etienne was a kicker until a year or so before his draft though right? You think a guy like Carter who has been playing receiver presumably his whole career wouldn't have as steep a learning curve right?

Just think, 2 years ago Carter was playing high school football. He's gone from high school to junior football to the CFL in 2 years... That is amazing. The last guy I remember showing something like that was Joe Poplawski who came from U of AB to the Bombers & was a starter from Day 1  at age 21 in 1978.  Some guys have God given talent..