"True Colours" article in the Sun

I think thats a stretch. Any coach could evaluate his team and say "we wanted to be better in some areas and will look to upgrade in the off season". Which players? "You will see in the off season"

Burke just doesn't coat his words in double talk and subtleties. I'm not carte Blanche defending him but that comment is reaching.

I don't think it's right to come out and publicly doubt the work ethic of your players and then tell people they can figure out who those players are by whether or not they're kept in the offseason.

Because now you're putting that doubt in every player we don't retain.

I think thats a stretch. Any coach could evaluate his team and say "we wanted to be better in some areas and will look to upgrade in the off season". Which players? "You will see in the off season"

Burke just doesn't coat his words in double talk and subtleties. I'm not carte Blanche defending him but that comment is reaching.

I don't think it's right to come out and publicly doubt the work ethic of your players and then tell people they can figure out who those players are by whether or not they're kept in the offseason.

Because now you're putting that doubt in every player we don't retain.

It went further than saying whether or not they're kept in the off season...it was...who is playing this game and who isn't.

In a nutshell....

Some players and probably coaches have given up and aren't working hard enough anymore.  The staff sees it and will get rid of them in the off season.  Burke won't, and shouldn't IMHO, name them.  

Burke would be throwing them under the bus if he said something like "Jade, that jerk!  Gave up in the middle of the season so we stopped playing him and will get rid of him in the off season.".  (Note this is an example of the type of thing that could be called 'throwing someone under the bus', not a statement of fact)

Lots of changes coming up this off season.  Some of them will be because the players didn't work hard enough and gave up.  It's just a fact in Bomberland.

Burke is damned around here no matter what.

If Burke came out and said he was the reason the team sucked, that he was the worst coach ever, have the people on here would go crazy criticisms him for doing it.

If Burke donated his salary to a children's charity some would find fault in that.

He's been unsuccessful as head coach. He's not the boogeyman.

If Burke came out and said he was the reason the team sucked, that he was the worst coach ever, have the people on here would go crazy criticisms him for doing it.

If Burke donated his salary to a children's charity some would find fault in that.

A whole lotta this. It didn't work out for him as HC, and there's no question it's time to move in another direction, but really...he's not a bad guy. Hell, we all LOVED the guy for a long time. Some people act like he killed your family...

In a nutshell....

Some players and probably coaches have given up and aren't working hard enough anymore.  The staff sees it and will get rid of them in the off season.  Burke won't, and shouldn't IMHO, name them.  

Burke would be throwing them under the bus if he said something like "Jade, that jerk!  Gave up in the middle of the season so we stopped playing him and will get rid of him in the off season.".  (Note this is an example of the type of thing that could be called 'throwing someone under the bus', not a statement of fact)

Lots of changes coming up this off season.  Some of them will be because the players didn't work hard enough and gave up.  It's just a fact in Bomberland.

Burke should have just kept his huge mouth shut....period and we wouldn't even be talking about it...no wonder the press wants him back

A whole lotta this. It didn't work out for him as HC, and there's no question it's time to move in another direction, but really...he's not a bad guy. Hell, we all LOVED the guy for a long time. Some people act like he killed your family...

He's killing our football team and to me, that's pretty close. ;)

He's killing our football team and to me, that's pretty close. ;)

I was going to post the exact same thing. 

i get you despise burke and his HC ability thus far but you gotta admit, he is (was?) not in the best position for success.. he would have to been an outstanding head coach to have any.success with the bullshit that has gone on here in the the last 2 seasons..

Any competent head coach would have at least had this bunch competitive and not getting steam rolled nearly ever week. It's not just the losses, it's the way the team would lose. Lapo lost a hell of a lot but at least the team was competitive and looked like they had a chance to win every week, with Burke the team plays the part of road kill more often than not and that is the most damning thing about his time as head coach. 

The thing is there are a lot of people on this board with so much credibility capital wrapped up in Joe Mack that they can't admit what a dog of a roster this is.  So whatever shortcomings Burke may have need to be blown 10x out of proportion in order to blame him rather then the lack of talent on this team for the disaster this year has become.  

So true.  That's the feeling i get as well.

Listening to Edwards and Johnson on Jim Toth radio show this week. They said that the majority of the problems is having so many rookies in the line up. During the week they would excute the game plan flawlessly but when the bullets would fly for real its like they forgot everything and made mistakes which led to a lot of big plays. It also led to the vets trying to do too much because they did not trust the guys they had beside them. Hearing this I think there is talent there it just needs to augmented with some veteran free agents this offseason. If its a complete blow up next year is not going being much better than this year.  

meh, guys probably just tired of dealing with a bunch of asshat football "pros" who simply cannot conduct themselves as such.

Well that'd be awfully ironic
lol touche.. but burkes only been a hc for how long? mistakes are to be expected unfortunately..

Burke's been a head coach for longer than the majority of our roster have been pro football players.

i dunno, guys who go thru big colleges are trained to be "pros" living by certain restrictions and acting a certain way.. you pull the same stuff as a pro in college, you get the boot..

i get you despise burke and his HC ability thus far but you gotta admit, he is (was?) not in the best position for success.. he would have to been an outstanding head coach to have any.success with the bullshit that has gone on here in the the last 2 seasons..

rarely.

As for Burke, he has himself to blame for a strong majority of this team's issues.

Yes, he's responsible for his coaching responsibilities/accountabilities and needs to shoulder that awy better than he is demonstrating BUT accountability and responsibility in a professional organization is a shared thing and this year does not fall completely on Burke's doorstep. Yes of course he has to go but a few others need top follow him out the door. 

Listening to Edwards and Johnson on Jim Toth radio show this week. They said that the majority of the problems is having so many rookies in the line up. During the week they would excute the game plan flawlessly but when the bullets would fly for real its like they forgot everything and made mistakes which led to a lot of big plays. It also led to the vets trying to do too much because they did not trust the guys they had beside them. Hearing this I think there is talent there it just needs to augmented with some veteran free agents this offseason. If its a complete blow up next year is not going being much better than this year.  

The other way to compensate for that is through leadership from the coaches though... prepare the players better so they don't get overwhelmed in game situatioins, make sure the veterans aren't trying to do their job and the other guys job... It all starts with coaching. 

As far as Burke is concerned, I have never heard a football head coach in pro football anywhere point fingers & blame his players like Burke does. Even coaching duds like Jeff Reinbold, Joe Zaleski, Eric Mangini & Rich Kotite stuck up for their players. They never said that they did their best with the talent given to them. Now, we have players according to Burke who have given up & aren't acting like professionals. To me, the guy running the ship is responsible. If the players aren't acting like pros or have given up then all that is on him as Head Coach. Under Burke, things will never get better... He has to go.

What ever happened to in game coaching?

If the problem was practice habits not translating into game execution, where were the adjustments? What approach did they take to coaching these guys up on the sidelines? Aside from standing there like a miserable statue or screaming their heads off.

The other way to compensate for that is through leadership from the coaches though... prepare the players better so they don't get overwhelmed in game situatioins, make sure the veterans aren't trying to do their job and the other guys job... It all starts with coaching. 

Oh definitely coach should help that. Also guys should not make the team just based on who can jump the highest or run the fastest in practice. A vet might not be the better athlete but will make up for the fact he is not by being able to out think the opponent. That's Mack downfall is he fell in love with athletes who he thought could be coached into becoming a player instead of having guys with experience and less overall talent.

Oh definitely coach should help that. Also guys should not make the team just based on who can jump the highest or run the fastest in practice. A vet might not be the better athlete but will make up for the fact he is not by being able to out think the opponent. That's Mack downfall is he fell in love with athletes who he thought could be coached into becoming a player instead of having guys with experience and less overall talent.

I would agree with that last part, particularly when it comes to the offensive line, but at the same time Burke really isn't a guy who seems able or willing to work with the raw athlete either. At least Lapo was much better at that aspect of things. 

As far as Burke is concerned, I have never heard a football head coach in pro football anywhere point fingers & blame his players like Burke does. Even coaching duds like Jeff Reinbold, Joe Zaleski, Eric Mangini & Rich Kotite stuck up for their players. They never said that they did their best with the talent given to them. Now, we have players according to Burke who have given up & aren't acting like professionals. To me, the guy running the ship is responsible. If the players aren't acting like pros or have given up then all that is on him as Head Coach. Under Burke, things will never get better... He has to go.

Mike Kelly was a complete lunatic who tried to make old outdated ideas work in the modern CFL but the one thing he did damned well was protect his players from any scrutiny and they responded for him and got more wins than they had any right to because of it. This year we see the team just rolling over and then the coach giving them a couple shots afterwards just so they stay down. 

So Edwards and Johnson say the problem is too many rookies. They say the coaches has them prepared with the gameplay flawlessly but love bullets hindered the kids. And some people still try to stretch that as Burke's fault. So Burke has the team flawlessly prepared according to two veterans but it's his fault when certain rookies lose their heads in real games?

If you do a crappy job at work but loved your job would you quit? Is Burke killing this team? Absolutely not. That's ludicrous. He's doing the best he can. He's not malicious. If anyone can't stand him being here don't blame Burke, blame his boss.

So Edwards and Johnson say the problem is too many rookies. They say the coaches has them prepared with the gameplay flawlessly but love bullets hindered the kids. And some people still try to stretch that as Burke's fault. So Burke has the team flawlessly prepared according to two veterans but it's his fault when certain rookies lose their heads in real games?

If you do a crappy job at work but loved your job would you quit? Is Burke killing this team? Absolutely not. That's ludicrous. He's doing the best he can. He's not malicious. If anyone can't stand him being here don't blame Burke, blame his boss.

Why do you always stick up for Burke the way you do? You criticize people who stick up for Mack. Yet there you are defending a guy who clearly is not head coaching material, can't motivate his players, doesn't know how to deal with media & blames everyone else for the team's record but himself. As far as Mack goes, he hired Burke. So, to me & a lot of others both were/are incompetent.

If week after week you prepare flawlessly and then fail to execute then newsflash you are not preparing flawlessly.

I find this excuse hard to swallow. The bombers actually have a lot of vets in the secondary, who have played together for quite a few years now. The only rookie I can think of that got any significant playing time was Markett, and he usually was not starting. Cauchy has been in the league for 4 years. The newest personnel on defense among the DBs/LBs are Washington, Dunn and Wild, and I think they were actually among the better performers in this group. I'm not familiar enough with the secondaries of the other 7 teams to be certain, but find it hard to believe that the Bomber are particular laden with rookies by CFL standards.