Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Week 7 games

First up BC @ Edmonton in another packed house. Rourke gets injured on the first BC possession, replacement Brice throws a pick.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Again, the Walters timing of trading for Dru is crazy.

  • rebusrankin
    rebusrankin

    After listening to Smith last night, I take back my comments about Nielsen.

  • rebusrankin
    rebusrankin

    First Bo, now Rourke. Not good for the league when quality QBs go down. As @SpeedFlex27 has said repeatedly, keep Zach and Dru.

Featured Replies

20 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It’s all subjective of course, but personally I find his voice a bit grating.

I don’t mind him as much when he’s not going hysterical. He’s better than Rod Smith at least, granted that’s a low bar.

There are no Al Michaels, Jim Nantz or Mike Tirico doing football pbp in Canada. By Canadian broadcast standards, Nielsen is pretty good. I like him.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

One of the producers has clearly talked to Nielsen about the guttural yelling... It was over the top. I understand being excited but when it's so guttural that you can't understand the words and you're out of breath.... It's over the top. Needed to take 15-20% off of that.

Willson just comes across as such a ******. Maybe he's a nice guy in real life but on TV and online, I'm not a fan of the persona.

Have you ever done any sortof play by play on radio or tv like hockey because you always try to come across here as the resident expert. We all respect the years you've spent in radio behind the mic but that doesn't mean you're an expert on sports broadcasting. If you spent years doing junior hockey play by play then you'd be qualified to say what you do. If all you've done is play music your entire broadcast career then you're just qualified to talk about other DJ's.

As a viewer, I don't find Nielsen's enthusiasm a negative at all. Matter of fact, I enjoy it. The guy is young & improving in his mid 30's. He doesn't have any annoying mannerisms or sayings like Rod Black did. He has a good feel for the game & he does his job pacing himself & his delivery very well. Overall, Nielsen does a pretty good job. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future, he becomes TSN's lead pbp CFL announcer doing regular season, playoffs & the Grey Cup.

I also like Nielsen. He's a bit of a breathe of fresh air over some of the other guys. I'm a big fan of his exuberance as well.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I also like Nielsen. He's a bit of a breathe of fresh air over some of the other guys. I'm a big fan of his exuberance as well.

are you kidding me??? (just kidding you)

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Have you ever done any sortof play by play on radio or tv like hockey because you always try to come across here as the resident expert. We all respect the years you've spent in radio behind the mic but that doesn't mean you're an expert on sports broadcasting. If you spent years doing junior hockey play by play then you'd be qualified to say what you do. If all you've done is play music your entire broadcast career then you're just qualified to talk about other DJ's.

As a viewer, I don't find Nielsen's enthusiasm a negative at all. Matter of fact, I enjoy it. The guy is young & improving in his mid 30's. He doesn't have any annoying mannerisms or sayings like Rod Black did. He has a good feel for the game & he does his job pacing himself & his delivery very well. Overall, Nielsen does a pretty good job. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future, he becomes TSN's lead pbp CFL announcer doing regular season, playoffs & the Grey Cup.

But Neisen doesn't have a street named after him like Rod Black. So there.

I cant stand Nielson when he gets excited. Its the worst voice in all of sports when he does that, no question. Outside of that hes fine.

Edited by Bigblue204

  • Author

Not a fan of Nielson football pbp either and he's worse when he works games with Suitor specifically Riders games, I did like his pbp for the Jets as a replacement for the last game.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

But Neisen doesn't have a street named after him like Rod Black. So there.

Transcona, no doubt.

Like I said, we have no Jim Nantz or MIke Terico coming up.

8 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Not a fan of Nielson football pbp either and he's worse when he works games with Suitor specifically Riders games, I did like his pbp for the Jets as a replacement for the last game.

Suitor just turns up the suck on all things related to the telecast when he is on

8 hours ago, Booch said:

Suitor just turns up the suck on all things related to the telecast when he is on

In the Winnipeg-Ottawa game, he said Dru Brown while referring to Jake Meier on multiple occasions, along with a number of other mistakes like that throughout the game. It was really bad, on top of his normal suckage.

Young Dusty would be so much better with anyone other than kinda not all there mentally suitor. Suitor is another member of the rapidly aging club. Tsn needs to send him home to Regina.

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Young Dusty would be so much better with anyone other than kinda not all there mentally suitor. Suitor is another member of the rapidly aging club. Tsn needs to send him home to Regina.

Nielsen isn't paired with Suitor. He's paired with Rod Smith.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nielsen isn't paired with Suitor. He's paired with Rod Smith.

He and Smith both do pbp.

Yeah Suitor was exceptionally bad last night. Multiple mistakes on what occurred during a play, and constantly getting names wrong. The biggest problem is he never corrects himself lol. Even when the reply clearly shows hes wrong.

The best one was Smith insisting that Wilson's TD to tie the game was ruled an incomplete pass, while the ref is marking the ball at the 1 yard line. Lol.

last night showed both those clowns should be sent packing....Tho Smoth would be a nice replacement for that idiot hosting the panel....or split the games between them

Suitor...should have been Rod Blacked when Rod was Rod Blacked....I'd prefer Black over Suitor to be honest...he was a bit of a dweeb but he wasnt a tool like Suitor

When Rod Smith sounds depressed, I’m usually having a good time. When he’s jacked up over a play, it’s 100 percent an Ontario team he’s gushing over.

I actually do miss Rod Black a bit. He got excited over whoever was winning and making plays. When the Bombers went from 2012-2015 sucking to 2016 kicking down doors… he was suddenly “on our side” more often than not.

Suitor getting basic things wrong (ex calling QBs by the wrong name) is a sign he's well past his best by date.

18 hours ago, Sard said:

It was really bad, on top of his normal suckage.

that "just throw to 87" thing was annoying as hell ... but then Geno Lewis made a legit amazing catch in the endzone.

I think if I could pick the Grey Cup broadcast team it would be Smith and Willson. Smith generally calls a tight game, he ain't bad to listen to, and Willson's analysis is exceptional. He doesn't shy away from calling out a breakdown and helps me understand how the little things make or break a play.

I think Nielsen pairs well with Forde or with Lapo -- guys who aren't the most interesting presenters but who have genuine insights to share. Especially Forde, who is a smart guy but also very dry. Need some energy in the booth with that guy. Rod Smith + Forde is like a damn funeral.

Glenn Suitor, you've had a good run, thank you for your service.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nielsen isn't paired with Suitor. He's paired with Rod Smith.

Whoops backwards... I meant to say that Suitor isn't paired with Nielsen this season. He's paired with Rod Smith,

10 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah Suitor was exceptionally bad last night. Multiple mistakes on what occurred during a play, and constantly getting names wrong. The biggest problem is he never corrects himself lol. Even when the reply clearly shows hes wrong.

The problem with having three teams of broadcasters is they don't get the time to prepare & it shows on the TSN broadcasts. I think for someone like Suitor who must be pushing 65 is that he needs to do just one game a week at his age. Let him have the time he needs to get ready.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.