Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Edmonton Elks @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers GDT

  • Replies 575
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Super Duper Negatron
    Super Duper Negatron

    Judging by Ticketmaster there are a handful of tickets. I would be shocked if it isn't announced a sellout.

  • Noeller
    Noeller

    Officially a sellout.... LFG!

  • WinnipegGordo
    WinnipegGordo

    Zach might become the Bombers' 2nd all-tlme passing leader tonight.

Featured Replies

Castillo Like Stan Like bighill a few years ago, like Willie like Nichols like I dunno, Kyrie was a tackling machine in his prime , at one point they were Great, that time has passed.

This team has lost its aura if you will, 16 straight sellouts right. 0 and 2 this year, wonder what the record is in those 16 sellouts? More L’s than Ws I think. When’s the last time we won a home game ??

But in this one, Castillo 2 misses and Brady’s fumble = ball game. Daniels also but d held them to a FG shockingly. So you can eliminate one of Castillo misses really. Turnovers and missed opportunities for points = loss. Not that shocking.

Edited by Goalie

Is Sergio the biggest problem? No. Is he an example of what the bigger problem is? Yes. But that’s more of an off the field O’Shea Walters thing me thinks

On field tho I’d say through 3 games, the D is the biggest concern to me.

Oline seemingly settled after a bit, D has had 1 good half maybe in 3 games and chokes when it matters most going back now a long while. Fajardo owns younger.

I’m not a big watch every other teams game guy but I will watch at times and the o around the league, pretty similar minus Hamilton. D? Ours looks so much more confusing watching it than everyone else’s pre snap it’s insane.

Edited by Goalie

I dunno. Bringing back younger is like jets bringing back Arniel after they finish bottom 10. Insanity cuz the D wasn’t good last year either. Why would ppl think it would change. Was masked by how poor the O was. The O even with those ******* Canadians in the Canadian football league moved the ball. Our American D getting owned.

Edited by Goalie

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Insanity cuz the D wasn’t good last year either.

this is your courtesy reminder that last year our D finished first in the league in points allowed. It was quite good by the only metric that matters. How else do you think we won eleven games with Hogan as OC?

saw the same pattern in this game as in Calgary: our D was pantsed by Rankin in the first half and then solved him in the second half and gave us a chance to win.

The goat horns for this game belong on the offence, for repeatedly giving away the ball and for trying to roll with just two import receivers. We had zero vertical passing attack after Pokey got hurt. When the chips were down and we had to hold the ball to protect a one point lead, we went two-and-out with Zach throwing a low percentage deep shot to Demski on a 2nd-and-7, right around the time of the three minute warning. O grinds out a few first downs, at least flips the field, we can win this game.

Edited by johnzo

My thought on Castillo....they are very enamoured with his range but his accuracy has been an off and on problem.

Would not mind taking some looks at American kickers on PR as the season moves along. I don't like being super loyal to kickers. They are very cyclical and you almost need to just land on the one who is most consistent, feeling good about themselves, at that time.

18 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

My thought on Castillo....they are very enamoured with his range but his accuracy has been an off and on problem.

Would not mind taking some looks at American kickers on PR as the season moves along. I don't like being super loyal to kickers. They are very cyclical and you almost need to just land on the one who is most consistent, feeling good about themselves, at that time.

Bring back the canadian we just had...wasting a DA spot on a kicker is a luxury if u can do it..we can't afford that luxury and that kicker better hit 90 percent of his kicks..relying on long bombs as well isnt a recipe for success either to justify it

Osh can't and won't let go of a vet he likes unless they retire..suffer a career ender...or his gm didnt resign them...thats just facts

When has he ever cut a vet for a rookie? I can't think of any...other teams do...how u think we scrap heaped Jones?

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bring back the canadian we just had...wasting a DA spot on a kicker is a luxury if u can do it..we can't afford that luxury and that kicker better hit 90 percent of his kicks..relying on long bombs as well isnt a recipe for success either to justify it

Osh can't and won't let go of a vet he likes unless they retire..suffer a career ender...or his gm didnt resign them...thats just facts

When has he ever cut a vet for a rookie? I can't think of any...other teams do...how u think we scrap heaped Jones?

Jones was on god awful elks teams. lol.

What a stud huh. Yeshua

Edited by Goalie

I just don’t like the D going back to losing against Fajardo and the Als. That was when the aura came off. The D since going to Younger is just not as good. How many sacks in 3 games how? Interceptions? Tackle for losses even?? Bend but don’t break but only break at the most important times.

Fajardo looked like Bo Levi out there the 1st half and on the winning drive.

Fajardo. Cody. That dude. Dude looked like MOP against our D. BLM did also. VA did also. It ain’t working.

Can’t stop the pass. Can’t stop the run. 3 games now.

What can they do??

Edited by Goalie

Maybe when Jake Maier lights us up?

Stats are fun tho.

Hey look Tony jones had 7500 tackles last year. He must be really really good.

Edited by Goalie

On the Defense, there is zero attitude. I keep hearing about Kramdi being an ******* to play against but I've yet to see any kind of fight from him. They get punched in the mouth and just take it. Lawson FINALLY showed some "**** this ****" when he took a RTP penalty. But outside of that, this Defense is as soft as any I can remember seeing. Nichols is officially toast. I didn't mind them bringing him back, but it's pretty obvious he has lost a step. He's just always 1 step behind now and Fajardo picked on him all night long. They also looked like they had zero urgency. Multiple times not only were they late to get lined up, but almost missed getting lined up all together. There is no accountability at all from what I can see.

Offense, same thing when it comes to attitude. Farjardo gets tackled/sacked etc he has multiple Olineman sprint to his side, not walk, not jog, those boys were moving to get to him. Collaros gets sacked and maybe 1 guy helps him out. That is always a personal red flag for me. Signals there is something wrong there...and I don't mean they don't like Collaros or there is any relationship issue...there's just, i don't know...entitlement issue...if that makes sense. It's not good anyway.
Execution is 100% on coaching imo. Hot routes aren't being integrated? Can they bring Milt in to teach these guys wtf they should be doing when the Defense brings 8?

Castillo, nice guy but as others have said. His consistency has been lacking for at least 1 season now...is he the worst kicker in the league statistically right now? I'm not sure but he's gotta be close.

Overall, I'm more upset about this loss than the Hamilton one. They looked like they thought they were owed that win. They just had to show up and it was theirs.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Castillo 2 misses and Brady’s fumble = ball game. Daniels also but d held them to a FG shockingly.

You have this backwards don't you? Brady fumble was returned to like the 3 but the D held them to a field goal. For Daniels the D had just finished a goal line stand and Daniels gave them the ball back and they scored on a plunge the second time around.

9 minutes ago, ShyGuy said:

You have this backwards don't you? Brady fumble was returned to like the 3 but the D held them to a field goal. For Daniels the D had just finished a goal line stand and Daniels gave them the ball back and they scored on a plunge the second time around.

And I don't think he got a single touch afterwards either.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

On the Defense, there is zero attitude. I keep hearing about Kramdi being an ******* to play against but I've yet to see any kind of fight from him. They get punched in the mouth and just take it. Lawson FINALLY showed some "**** this ****" when he took a RTP penalty. But outside of that, this Defense is as soft as any I can remember seeing. Nichols is officially toast. I didn't mind them bringing him back, but it's pretty obvious he has lost a step. He's just always 1 step behind now and Fajardo picked on him all night long. They also looked like they had zero urgency. Multiple times not only were they late to get lined up, but almost missed getting lined up all together. There is no accountability at all from what I can see.

Offense, same thing when it comes to attitude. Farjardo gets tackled/sacked etc he has multiple Olineman sprint to his side, not walk, not jog, those boys were moving to get to him. Collaros gets sacked and maybe 1 guy helps him out. That is always a personal red flag for me. Signals there is something wrong there...and I don't mean they don't like Collaros or there is any relationship issue...there's just, i don't know...entitlement issue...if that makes sense. It's not good anyway.
Execution is 100% on coaching imo. Hot routes aren't being integrated? Can they bring Milt in to teach these guys wtf they should be doing when the Defense brings 8?

Castillo, nice guy but as others have said. His consistency has been lacking for at least 1 season now...is he the worst kicker in the league statistically right now? I'm not sure but he's gotta be close.

Overall, I'm more upset about this loss than the Hamilton one. They looked like they thought they were owed that win. They just had to show up and it was theirs.

As far as I know this starts with coaching that sets the tone.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

.
Execution is 100% on coaching imo. Hot routes aren't being integrated? Can they bring Milt in to teach these guys wtf they should be doing when the Defense brings 8?

Yes. There were several times when it was totally obvious the Elks were blitzing and we seemed to be clueless. A couple times it looked like Zach threw short, quickly to White, but he never looked back. Was that supposed to be a hot route? Not good.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, we don't.

I don't think its competition we need, I think its the fact that the DI kicker is going to be virtually extinct come the changes next year. You will really need a canadian or a global maybe even just 1 guy doing all the jobs. We are going to see the death of the FG.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Castillo Like Stan Like bighill a few years ago, like Willie like Nichols like I dunno, Kyrie was a tackling machine in his prime , at one point they were Great, that time has passed.

This team has lost its aura if you will, 16 straight sellouts right. 0 and 2 this year, wonder what the record is in those 16 sellouts? More L’s than Ws I think. When’s the last time we won a home game ??

But in this one, Castillo 2 misses and Brady’s fumble = ball game. Daniels also but d held them to a FG shockingly. So you can eliminate one of Castillo misses really. Turnovers and missed opportunities for points = loss. Not that shocking.

Castillo has always gone through runs of the Yips. I don't think anything has changed in particular with him.

Wilie has been the best we've seen from him in a couple of years. The rotation and actual rushers at the other positions have breathed new life into him. He still sucks at option and isn't great in the run game, but as a pass rusher, he's doing everything we could want.

Nichols played very well last night as well, until he got hurt. Who knows how that will shake down, but he and Moxey did their jobs well. Injuries and the score forced us into a more vanilla D, and that's when and why the D improved last night. Jy has been making some strange calls. We saw the secondary stay in a shallow zone from a pre snap blitz read like robber early on, only we didn't have the high man to make robber work, and we just got beat. He ran some rotating cover and just not well-fit packages.

I will also say, we used Smith a lot more on D last night, and he gave us some great snaps. I don't love how we are deploying him, but he's still filled a lot of what we lost when Woodbey went down.

The failures were so across the board and diverse, it's not one guy or 5 guys. It's coaching and preparation. No one on the OL should be missing pre-snap alignments or pick ups like we saw. Bryant knows better than to leave Brady 1-on-1 with a DE. The fumbles, the blown assignments, it's all 3 phases at almost every position group. The amount of time it took us to adjust and get Zach out of the pocket and give him proper blitz beaters was awful.

I like JY a lot, and Marty, TC, etc. But that was a thorough failing of coaching, for the second week in a row. And that can't keep happening.

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

On the Defense, there is zero attitude. I keep hearing about Kramdi being an ******* to play against but I've yet to see any kind of fight from him. They get punched in the mouth and just take it. Lawson FINALLY showed some "**** this ****" when he took a RTP penalty. But outside of that, this Defense is as soft as any I can remember seeing. Nichols is officially toast. I didn't mind them bringing him back, but it's pretty obvious he has lost a step. He's just always 1 step behind now and Fajardo picked on him all night long. They also looked like they had zero urgency. Multiple times not only were they late to get lined up, but almost missed getting lined up all together. There is no accountability at all from what I can see.

Offense, same thing when it comes to attitude. Farjardo gets tackled/sacked etc he has multiple Olineman sprint to his side, not walk, not jog, those boys were moving to get to him. Collaros gets sacked and maybe 1 guy helps him out. That is always a personal red flag for me. Signals there is something wrong there...and I don't mean they don't like Collaros or there is any relationship issue...there's just, i don't know...entitlement issue...if that makes sense. It's not good anyway.
Execution is 100% on coaching imo. Hot routes aren't being integrated? Can they bring Milt in to teach these guys wtf they should be doing when the Defense brings 8?

Castillo, nice guy but as others have said. His consistency has been lacking for at least 1 season now...is he the worst kicker in the league statistically right now? I'm not sure but he's gotta be close.

Overall, I'm more upset about this loss than the Hamilton one. They looked like they thought they were owed that win. They just had to show up and it was theirs.

100%. We need the D to have some edge, some grit. They are getting out physicalled soo badly by everyone.

The first things you see fail when execution on D goes out the window are poor tackling and poor gap/cover play. When it spreads and gets worse you lose heart and effort, you see guys jog on the back side or quit on plays entirely. We are soo completely out of it on D, the WRs have drastically more edge and heart then the entire D.

JYs system requires some DBs who are really physical. Wrs have to hear foot steps and be looking for the hit as the ball comes. Right now we don't even have DBs who are making plays on balls little on plays on WRs.

We really need to shift the DBs around again, get Kramdi out of S, and have a rotational DB worth a damn.

I watched the first 10 minutes of the game.... I saw the middle and left side of our o-line being absolutely shredded on the first few drives. I saw 2 bad fumbles.... I saw the D watching the plays happen and then reacting after a hand off or reception..... I saw enough.

They came out looking slow and uninspired.

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I watched the first 10 minutes of the game.... I saw the middle and left side of our o-line being absolutely shredded on the first few drives. I saw 2 bad fumbles.... I saw the D watching the plays happen and then reacting after a hand off or reception..... I saw enough.

They came out looking slow and uninspired.

It's been back and forth the whole era here. If you see the physicality from the team off the bounce, it's gonna be a great outing. If not, it's gonna be tough and slow for them to get going. We haven't seen that hard-nosed, fast, physical start in a long time, though. We have consistently given away the first quarter of games for 2 years or so.

What really mystified me it 'seemed' we had figured Faj out to start the second half, and we came alive on D and had control....Fast forward toward the end of the fourth and we collapsed, and looked just like we started the game, and when it really counted, folded like a cheap lawn chair in a hurricane...This club needs a lot of work and is missing key pieces on D and now with key injuries, on the offence....Don't like where we're headed

37 minutes ago, Stickem said:

What really mystified me it 'seemed' we had figured Faj out to start the second half, and we came alive on D and had control....Fast forward toward the end of the fourth and we collapsed, and looked just like we started the game, and when it really counted, folded like a cheap lawn chair in a hurricane...This club needs a lot of work and is missing key pieces on D and now with key injuries, on the offence....Don't like where we're headed

In Younger's system there's an overwhelming fear of allowing big plays and it basically prevents the defense from having the ability to make big plays.

You can't just flip a switch and decide that the game is on the line so we need to change up our mentality now. We need to play that way for 60 minutes. And that mentality is being coached.

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

this is your courtesy reminder that last year our D finished first in the league in points allowed. It was quite good by the only metric that matters. How else do you think we won eleven games with Hogan as OC?

saw the same pattern in this game as in Calgary: our D was pantsed by Rankin in the first half and then solved him in the second half and gave us a chance to win.

The goat horns for this game belong on the offence, for repeatedly giving away the ball and for trying to roll with just two import receivers. We had zero vertical passing attack after Pokey got hurt. When the chips were down and we had to hold the ball to protect a one point lead, we went two-and-out with Zach throwing a low-percentage deep shot to Demski on a 2nd-and-seven around the time of the three minute warning.

The 2 and out was inexcusable and play calling horrible. It cost them the game.

7 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont know, sure looked like Collaros was going there the moment he got the ball.

They made the same call earlier on. 2nd and long in their own end and went deep. Wound up punting and giving Ed good field position.

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Jones was on god awful elks teams. lol.

What a stud huh. Yeshua

Id take the guy they kept over him anyday of the week..prob over most mlb in league actually..

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

On the Defense, there is zero attitude. I keep hearing about Kramdi being an ******* to play against but I've yet to see any kind of fight from him. They get punched in the mouth and just take it. Lawson FINALLY showed some "**** this ****" when he took a RTP penalty. But outside of that, this Defense is as soft as any I can remember seeing. Nichols is officially toast. I didn't mind them bringing him back, but it's pretty obvious he has lost a step. He's just always 1 step behind now and Fajardo picked on him all night long. They also looked like they had zero urgency. Multiple times not only were they late to get lined up, but almost missed getting lined up all together. There is no accountability at all from what I can see.

Offense, same thing when it comes to attitude. Farjardo gets tackled/sacked etc he has multiple Olineman sprint to his side, not walk, not jog, those boys were moving to get to him. Collaros gets sacked and maybe 1 guy helps him out. That is always a personal red flag for me. Signals there is something wrong there...and I don't mean they don't like Collaros or there is any relationship issue...there's just, i don't know...entitlement issue...if that makes sense. It's not good anyway.
Execution is 100% on coaching imo. Hot routes aren't being integrated? Can they bring Milt in to teach these guys wtf they should be doing when the Defense brings 8?

Castillo, nice guy but as others have said. His consistency has been lacking for at least 1 season now...is he the worst kicker in the league statistically right now? I'm not sure but he's gotta be close.

Overall, I'm more upset about this loss than the Hamilton one. They looked like they thought they were owed that win. They just had to show up and it was theirs.

Stems from coaching..complacency..the norm/usual is the way...and yes no accountability and no threat of being pushed off roster so why go above and beyond.. guys know that if they an osh vet...or a teachers pet..they are safe as safe can be

We also want all choir boys and this character type guy which trumps talent all the time..like they say nice guys finish last..you can have high character guys who play with edge and times over edge if its not a detriment to the team..we have zero..who on this roster has players on other teams looking over their head during plays if for anything self preservation to not get head knocked off...within the rules I will add..I dont see any..we could but they seem reigned in and have to adhere to the country club everybody love everybody scenario

I find it funny as Osh played on edge..a lot over it and was a sneaky dirty player and would take liberties..and was also at times a real ass bag...

I've said for what..3..4 yrs now that coaching and to be specific HC and how he goes about business..or neglects things and his pompous stubborn selfish bias/attitude towards things is our biggest hurdle..I was willing to give this season a bit of hope and him some.early leeway.. hes used it up..its same ol same ol just now with diff players as shouldn't be playing here..and continued rules neglecting and rostering

Last night's 2 quarter unprepared state..which happened a ton last yr was unacceptable...and sickening

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

As far as I know this starts with coaching that sets the tone.

Nailed it..as mentioned...coaching kills us

Have u ever seen osh get fired up on bench..get in a player's grill..do some actual coaching up...anything? I havnt...he does a lot of clueless smirking tho..staring at his play sheet like it might have a magical answer...a lot of dumb looks of why something didnt pan out...show a lil fire...maybe the players will follow...sad

And maybe really watch game and throw a challenge...that no yards non call was as easy an overturn as u could get....goof

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.