Bye Week Thread: Complacency, Budget & Leadership,

BigBlue

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

they definitely shouldn't be hurting for cash after this season, that's for sure. Still replenishing the emergency fund after COVID, but this year will help a lot. 

2021 and 2022 both helped replenish that...or actually add to it, this yr will as well, and you have to figure 2024 will be a good yr as well, as I assume there will be a season tix uptick for the sole reason of that 2025 renewals will have Grey Cup tix perks, and people won't wanna not be there for a possible Home cup win.....I can't imagine the scene at IG Field if the Bombers are in it, when the scene here for big games is as insane as it is now....And not going over the cap and spending what you have to in order to field the best team to do it I am sure will be a given...You won't see a repeat of how the Riders did it last yr

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

2021 and 2022 both helped replenish that...or actually add to it, this yr will as well, and you have to figure 2024 will be a good yr as well, as I assume there will be a season tix uptick for the sole reason of that 2025 renewals will have Grey Cup tix perks, and people won't wanna not be there for a possible Home cup win.....I can't imagine the scene at IG Field if the Bombers are in it, when the scene here for big games is as insane as it is now....And not going over the cap and spending what you have to in order to field the best team to do it I am sure will be a given...You won't see a repeat of how the Riders did it last yr

Five teams were over in 2022 including us so I think we do spend to the cap & beyond. Now, does that bother me? Not in the least. If we have to spend over the cap to field the best team if it means winning a championship then so be it. Winning means increased attendance which means more parking, concessions & merchandise slaes. It also means that player salaries will increase. In order to retain the FA's we want & to sign new ones if going over the cap then again, so be it. You can't tell me MLSE doesn't overspend past the cap with FA's  every year so then why should we be suckers? Nice guys finish last. 

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....no issue here with me going over, and if we have the cash.....then pay the penalty in my opinion.....reap some the rewards from doing well

The salary cap is too ridiculously low. Nest season's hundred thousand dollar increase will be eaten up just resigning veterans & with inflation. It won't begin to cover signing anyone new. That'll mean goodbye to some veterans we love. This off season may not be much fun as to who goes to afford signing Schoen & Demski. As well, can we afford to keep both? Gawd, I hope so. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The salary cap is too ridiculously low. Nest season's hundred thousand dollar increase will be eaten up just resigning veterans & with inflation. It won't begin to cover signing anyone new. That'll mean goodbye to some veterans we love. This off season may not be much fun as to who goes to afford signing Schoen & Demski. As well, can we afford to keep both? Gawd, I hope so. 

I think the main hope will be that gambling revenue can inject some serious cash. 
 Otherwise for us, it’s gonna be about doing the smart franchise thing and cutting some dead weight salary. 

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

well...Demski is signed thru next yr, so that helps, but we may have to move on from a vet to extend Schoen....tho there are some vet salaries that really we should be free of, a couple we should have already moved from this yr in my opinion

With teams over the salary cap, significantly, do the penalties have any sting?

I heard we could lose draft picks but has anybody lost a draft pick?

With their attendance, how does Toronto keep coming up with this amazing amount of talent? The coaches and back office don't seem to be impoverished either.

So what gives, really?

I cant recall off the top of my head but I believe up to 100k over is a dollar for dollar penalty, going beyond that amount is when draft picks are also penalized.

I can see how contenders see this as a small price to pay when a cup is up for grabs. TOR was over the cap in 2022, but we were even further over the cap... nether if us exceeded the cap so much a pick would be taken away.

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I cant recall off the top of my head but I believe up to 100k over is a dollar for dollar penalty, going beyond that amount is when draft picks are also penalized.

I can see how contenders see this as a small price to pay when a cup is up for grabs. TOR was over the cap in 2022, but we were even further over the cap... nether if us exceeded the cap so much a pick would be taken away.

Yep. Tor spent 50k over we spent 65, ott went 12k over and mtl went 800 bucks over lol. 

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

With their attendance, how does Toronto keep coming up with this amazing amount of talent? The coaches and back office don't seem to be impoverished either.

So what gives, really?

The penalty is match what you spend until 100k, then you start losing draft picks. 

And sorry...what does attendance have to do with signing players/Coaches? If you're asking where does the money come from, it comes from the owners...

11 hours ago, BigBlue said:

So what gives, really?

We suspect that the Argos always spend over the cap & the league allows it to have a competitive team in Toronto.  

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

The penalty is match what you spend until 100k, then you start losing draft picks. 

And sorry...what does attendance have to do with signing players/Coaches? If you're asking where does the money come from, it comes from the owners...

Not if it's a community team. 

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We suspect that the Argos always spend over the cap & the league allows it to have a competitive team in Toronto.  

Not if it's a community team. 

yup...we own the team so bums in seats here will effect if we really wanna blow over the cap....we could easily and still have a black bottom line, but rules are rules

15 hours ago, ddanger said:

Argos may have trouble this year, but wait till 2024 when they pay their QB 600k. TSN was talking about vets being cut to enable the huge increase in his salary.

Argos will almost certainly lose Muamba to retirement, and will definitely lose Harris. Add in a couple of other older guys who might leave (such as Bladek) and the gap between what they are paying QBs this year and will pay them next year gets pretty slim. I don't see them having to cut anyone they really want to keep.      

1 hour ago, pw13 said:

Argos will almost certainly lose Muamba to retirement, and will definitely lose Harris. Add in a couple of other older guys who might leave (such as Bladek) and the gap between what they are paying QBs this year and will pay them next year gets pretty slim. I don't see them having to cut anyone they really want to keep.      

I'd argue those aren't really losses.