Week 13 - Non-Champ Edition

JCon

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Every game this weekend had tens of thousands of empty seats. The games have no more atmosphere or exitement.  I don't know what to think anymore except that I'm worried for the future of the CFL. 

I am trying to remember a year that I wasn't worried about the future of the CFL...

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The sad thing is that the richest owner cares the least. The community-run teams are the most financially viable. 

The community-owned teams are also necessary for revenue to pay for/operate their stadiums.  Not many others in that position.  BC Place would do fine without the Lions, McMahon would just be imploded, BMO is the national soccer stadium and home to a MLS franchise, McGill owns Molson, Ottawa and Hamilton might be in some trouble without a CFL tenant.

There's a level of desperation that's a bit different in Winnipeg and Sask to keep the teams playing.  I kind of worry the rest of the owners and country could shrug if push came to shove.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The community-owned teams are also necessary for revenue to pay for/operate their stadiums.  Not many others in that position.  BC Place would do fine without the Lions, McMahon would just be imploded, BMO is the national soccer stadium and home to a MLS franchise, McGill owns Molson, Ottawa and Hamilton might be in some trouble without a CFL tenant.

There's a level of desperation that's a bit different in Winnipeg and Sask to keep the teams playing.  I kind of worry the rest of the owners and country could shrug if push came to shove.

"CFL Folds - Argos are no more" - Headline in the Toronto Star - 99% of Toronto responds "Who are the Argos"?

The Elks reek.....that stately looking browser (wapiti) is being disgraced by the performance of it's namesake....I'm sure if that animal could talk it would say something like...'nope...don't see any resemblance to that crew running around on fake grass'.....All kidding aside....a team that was picked by the pundits to do big things in 21 has been put out to pasture quite awhile ago....Will their newly acquired qb. make any difference????I think not unless they start from the top down and clean out the pretenders.....Knuckles is right.....a glorious franchise that is now sucking wind....big time....tough to watch 

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The sad thing is that the richest owner cares the least. The community-run teams are the most financially viable. 

Community ownership relies on the support of the business communities in each city. I don't see that in Edmonton. They have lost tens of millions of dollars the past 2 seasons. As have others but Edmonton, wow...

10 hours ago, Stickem said:

The Elks reek.....that stately looking browser (wapiti) is being disgraced by the performance of it's namesake....I'm sure if that animal could talk it would say something like...'nope...don't see any resemblance to that crew running around on fake grass'.....All kidding aside....a team that was picked by the pundits to do big things in 21 has been put out to pasture quite awhile ago....Will their newly acquired qb. make any difference????I think not unless they start from the top down and clean out the pretenders.....Knuckles is right.....a glorious franchise that is now sucking wind....big time....tough to watch 

I think the Elks will indeed be blown up. They are the Walking Dead.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think the Elks are far closer to being a competitive team then Ottawa.    

I'd blow it up by changing the coaching staff and fire the GM.    I'd try to extend Arbuckle and bring in a coach with at least some integrity (I.E. Not Jones)

But gosh, I mean... would a new coach be a cultural fit???