The underrated career of Charles Roberts

Arnold_Palmer

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lets also remember that We were running troy mills and eric blount twice as much as we ran blink, while mills and blount struggled to get 4 yards per touch and blink was getting almost 7 per touch. He also played 17 games in 2001. Blink would lead a drive down to the deep red zone then he'd get pulled out for blount and mills to finish the drive. 

A lot more players today would quit if they had to put up with that, and not "quit" by playing all but 1 game. (iirc he was on the PR for week 1) 

TBF, there are players today who quit if they get the ball too much!

banks-brandon-620.jpg

Just now, bigg jay said:

TBF, there are players today who quit if they get the ball too much!

banks-brandon-620.jpg

Banks quits, if he gets hit. Or if he doesnt get the ball. Or if the gets the ball too much. Or if he doesnt get the call he wants. Or of he drops the ball. Or if his bidet doesnt play let it be and contain rose pedal water.... 

If I made a list of my top 5 least favorite cfl players, he would probably take 2 or 3 spots. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Lets also remember that We were running troy mills and eric blount twice as much as we ran blink, while mills and blount struggled to get 4 yards per touch and blink was getting almost 7 per touch. He also played 17 games in 2001. Blink would lead a drive down to the deep red zone then he'd get pulled out for blount and mills to finish the drive. 

A lot more players today would quit if they had to put up with that, and not "quit" by playing all but 1 game. (iirc he was on the PR for week 1) 

My memory of him in 2001 was that Mills and Blount would start the game and run heavier sets, wear down the D, then Roberts would come in during the 4th quarter and use his speed outside against a tired team. One game against Sask. in oppressive heat, the Bombers had practiced all week in it and were well hydrated, and by the 4th during commercial breaks the entire Rider defence on the field was on its knees and the Bombers were lined up for the next play. Roberts ran 4 sweeps and went about 15-20 yards on each and Dave Ritchie pulled him from the game and said after it was a mercy pull because he could see that Sask just couldn’t keep up with him and they did not want to run up the score. Roberts was the primary punt/kick guy that year and transitioned to full time RB next season and got out of the return game. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I missed this, but obviously, 100% yes.

If it wasn't a matter of getting the old guys up there first, he should have been up there already.

I think its a hard call between guys like blink, james west, greg battle, tyrone jones, and rod hill. That would be the next group for me off the top of my head. Hill didnt play here that long, but is the franchise leader in picks and blocked kicks. Battle leads in tackles, west did a lot in several categories as a lber, jones is our lead in sacks, and blink the lead in rushing. 

All that said, I think blink should go in next year. He deserves to go in before harris passes his rushing record which would be late next year at earliest. This year Id put in one of the great 80s defenders. Or maybe coach cal goes up this year.