Gambling Discussion

What's with all the over/under discussion going on during the Elks game. There are many sports fans who either have existing gambling problems or are in recovery for same. It's one thing for gambling sites to advertise heavily on TSN and another thing completely for the announcers to repeatedly discuss and implicitly support it. When have you ever heard broadcasters ever talk about gambling lines during the game? Very bush league and unethical of TSN.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

5 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

What's with all the over/under discussion going on during the Elks game. There are many sports fans who either have existing gambling problems or are in recovery for same. It's one thing for gambling sites to advertise heavily on TSN and another thing completely for the announcers to repeatedly discuss and implicitly support it. When have you ever heard broadcasters ever talk about gambling lines during the game? Very bush league and unethical of TSN.

Must not watch NFL.  Al Micheals always brings up the lines on SNF.

30 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

What's with all the over/under discussion going on during the Elks game. There are many sports fans who either have existing gambling problems or are in recovery for same. It's one thing for gambling sites to advertise heavily on TSN and another thing completely for the announcers to repeatedly discuss and implicitly support it. When have you ever heard broadcasters ever talk about gambling lines during the game? Very unethical of TSN.

I get your point, but at the same time, NFL pre game broadcasts run the ticker underneath showing the game lines and over under all the time. Like it or not, gambling is HUGE in sports and may be the lifeblood the league needs, and TSN is the league broadcaster, so they will play ball. 

I was going to post this in a separate thread, but with this discussion it seems like an OK place. Not sure what the attendance in Sask will be tonight, but Edmonton dipped from 30K to 25K, Calgary had only 23K for it’s opener after the pandemic stole away last year, and dropped to 21 K yesterday. And stunningly, the Bombers had 22,100 fans last night. The Grey Cup champs of Bomber nation could not sell out their banner raising home opener after a lost season, and dropped another 8,000 fans for last night. Other than the frigid Thanksgiving post-snowstorm game in 2019 against the Als, last night was the worst attended Bomber game in IG Field history.

I read an article about NHL teams selling more partial season ticket plans because fans do not want to invest in a full 45 game package post-pandemic, and league experts are a bit worried about declining interest in attending live events.  So in a league that needs attendance more than any other to meet the bottom line, given these numbers in the “CFL hotbed” of the West, just how much trouble is the league in right now?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I know many people with kids who won't go to games even vaccinated.

Lots of people are not comfortable being at a venue with that many people.

That is not a factor that is to be ignored.

FYI the attendance for the Rider game tonight will probably be like ours :

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-hamilton-tigercats-regina-saskatchewan-08-14-2021/event/11005AD7E3EC1DDC

Edited by Geebrr

This is a great discussion PCG and I think it's a whole distinct thing from the attendance story in the CFL.

I've got serious mixed feelings about the CFL diving into the gambling biz.  I don't bet myself but as a fan I kinda like having a line on the game, it spices the game up and gives extra things to talk about and of course the CFL could definitely use the money. But on the other hand I've got at least one cousin whose VLT habit made her homeless.  I've also got family who are serious untreated alcoholics and no one bats an eye at booze sponsorships of sports. 

I dunno.  Everything in capitalism is about the vulnerable being exploited maximally. 

Would like to see the CFL give equal time during broadcasts to gambling addiction hotlines / programs, maybe.  Put a hotline phone number on the screen, have Glenn Suitor speak in hushed tones about how gambling addiction is a real problem and urging people to seek help if they're out of control.

Edited by johnzo

23 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I know many people with kids who won't go to games even vaccinated.

Lots of people are not comfortable being at a venue with thst many people.

That is not a factor that is to be ignored.

PS the attendance for the Rider game tonight will probably be like ours :

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/saskatchewan-roughriders-vs-hamilton-tigercats-regina-saskatchewan-08-14-2021/event/11005AD7E3EC1DDC

And I know back-to-back games at home a week apart does not help attendance. The drop-off in Winnipeg on what was a pretty great night weather-wise was shocking though. And traditionally attendance drops after Labour Day league-wide. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I get it, but I think everyone has a vice. If you have no vice then thst is actually your vice.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And I know back-to-back games at home a week apart does not help attendance. The drop-off in Winnipeg on what was a pretty great night weather-wise was shocking though. And traditionally attendance drops after Labour Day league-wide. 

Fair, and historically you're right. But, I think COVID concerns is a legit thing

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I get it, but I think everyone has a vice. If you have no vice then thst is actually your vice.

for sure, but for some folks their vice is a life and family wrecker. 

I don't know where the balance is, how much stuff we need to clamp down on in order to protect those vulnerable people.  it's like any other kind of thing -- guns or drugs or whatever -- most people use them responsibly but some don't and they wreck their lives and others.

Definitely think the CFL has a responsibility to acknowledge the dark side of gambling and make on-air announcements about how to get help.

I'm just going to talk attendance here as I don't gamble. And from a Calgary perspective. Here in AB, most restrictions are gone. You don't have to mask or social distance & crowds are like they were pre pandemic. Very few people mask up anymore. I called the Stamps ticket office in July to express my concerns about allowing unvaccinated fans into McMahon & how I would refuse to attend a game under those circumstances. I told him that the team was making a mistake & people would stay away as they feel unsafe but he just said they're following guidelines laid out by the province. He didn't seem too concerned at all. He did say a number of STH's have deferred their tickets to next season & the team is allowing them to do that this season only but he didn't say how many. 

I have seen many comments on social media about Stamps fans not sure they should attend games or downright refuse to go along with no masking. As well as the unknown of who is fully vaccinated & who is not sitting next to & around you. I think thousands of fans have decided to pass on Stamps games because of the reckless decision they made to allow unvaccinated fans to attend. Then I realize the Flames owners have close ties to the UPC & it's not surprising the decision that they made. 

I can tell you, there is zero chance I'll attend any future Stamps games with the lack of Covid protocols for safety. If I feel that way then there are thousands of fans here who feel the same way. Teams should be doing whatever they can to make people feel that it's safe to come back but the 2 teams in Alberta aren't doing that & it's crazy not to.  

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I wouldn’t mind if they had certain pre-game, half and post-game segments with a different analyst about lines/props.  I can’t believe how it has taken over the panel and even in-game commentary.  It shouldn’t be the same people analyzing the actual game giving us lines and their thoughts on where to bet.  To me that’s inappropriate and suggests they might be inclined to put money on games they are supposed to be analyzing in an objective manner.

Also Beirness is awful.  She’s not funny.  She tries way too hard to be funny.  Guess she’s angling for the Jay Onrait spot eventually?

11 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Gambling is why the NFL is popular

I don't doubt that's a big part of it. People treat gambling on sporting events like they are the ones making the plays on the field. I guess in that way it makes people feel more involved.

But imo it takes away from the game itself, the culture and the human aspect. Or at least changes it significantly.

From what I've watched so far I haven't noticed much during the game. But in the pre-game for one of the games they were giving the over-under on receiving yards for certain players and it felt dirty.

It might just be me though

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly can't believe a league that is suffering financially both before and during the global pandemic, would be so eager to push a viable and potentially league saving venture like betting...I mean, under what circumstances could that be acceptable?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lv0c73lql2bkzvtb8m

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Meh, regarding addictions (alcohol, gambling etc.) realistically it is always going to be around. VLTs etc. are a huge cash cow for the province, as well as the MLCC, both negatively impact marginalized people drastically. What's the alternative though? Outlaw it? Then it goes underground, and any support groups available become nonexistent, on top of that, the government wouldn't get their cut to boot. It's good ol' capitalism hypocrisy at its' finest, so much of the marketed stuff at sporting events is bad for you not just the gambling and the booze - the unhealthy food as well. You try to police any of that and you'll be lambasted for taking away the consumers' choice.

TLDR; Riders suck.