Should the Bombers consider injury history when drafting

Done for the year??? Yet he participated in the CFL Combine & did fine?? Yeah, I'd say that doing a thorough physical may have been the thing to do... If it wasn't done already. Our first pick last season has shoulder issues & Etienne has yet to show that he can play. Nice. We're as bad as Hamilton. But at least our picks still want to come here. They just are hurt. :roll:

DiCroce was only available in the 4th round due to his injury history. We took a chance on him and it might still pay off down the road. That's way different than taking a chance on players with an injury history in the first round.

DiCroce is done for the year after re-injuring his previously injured foot. Like Pencer. Like Stephan. Some will call it bad luck. Some will call it a trend. Some will call it not doing your due diligence. What do you call it?

Stephan had an injury history? I'm pretty sure his injury was a new one... Can't really blame anyone for that. Also I agree with TBURGESS... I have no problem using later picks on talented players who have histories of injuries. Pencer is the only one that was really questionable, IMO. No problem with using 4th rounders on guys like DiCroce and Woodson.

DiCroce was only available in the 4th round due to his injury history. We took a chance on him and it might still pay off down the road. That's way different than taking a chance on players with an injury history in the first round.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I totally 100% agree with you.

It definitely seems like the Bombers are getting a bit too comfortable taking chances on previously injured players. It has been a little frustrating to get excited about these draft picks, only to have them not even make it through training camp (or some not even get to training camp).

DiCroce was cleared by the doctors at McMaster, his personal doctor and the training staff at the CFL Combine.

He passed those stress tests and the opening physical at Bombers camp. Sometimes guys just get hurt.

DiCroce was cleared by the doctors at McMaster, his personal doctor and the training staff at the CFL Combine.

He passed those stress tests and the opening physical at Bombers camp. Sometimes guys just get hurt.

Don't really buy this at all.

If you're trying to say there's something else afoot, then I have to disagree with you.

It just seems unfortunate luck for the youngster and the Bombers. There's no way they're going to jeopardize a player's career for rookie camp.

What's your theory?

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I don't think there are any conspiracies. That doesn't mean that people don't make mistakes, or something didn't go undetected. More than anything though, it's hard to believe that he hurt his foot completely unrelated to his past injuries.

I wasn't selling anything so put your money away.

Players at the CFL Combine spend an entire day with the trainers that test them beyond your regular doctor poke and check. DiCroce was cleared there and able to participate in the on field testing and drills. The Bombers talked to his doctors and the staff at McMaster to get further injury information and again he's been cleared since November 2012.

Michael originally broke that metatarsal in August of 2012, healed in 10 weeks and was given the ok to play in the playoffs.

I'm not arguing with what they did. But I guarantee you there would be a doctor out there that would have said that there is a percent chance of reinjuring it. It's not about whether he is cleared to play or not. I'm just saying its not a fluke that this happened to him.

I've had 2 knee surgeries. If you were to ask a doctor if I'd be cleared to play football again they would say "absolutely yes". But with me there is always the risk of hurting my knee again.

I do not see this as a fluke and that it was impossible to see this happening again. It's the exact same injury. There was risk involved drafting him. They got bit on it.

but at the same time it's a 4th round pick... those are the ones you swing for the fences on. Guy was a good receiver who dropped because of the injury risk... so you take him in a later round and if he doesn't make it or gets hurt, oh well 4th round pick, if he works out and stays healthy it's a big win cause you snagged a solid guy in the 4th round. Not like this is a guy they took with a first round pick or something.

I do not see this as a fluke and that it was impossible to see this happening again. It's the exact same injury. There was risk involved drafting him. They got bit on it.

but at the same time it's a 4th round pick... those are the ones you swing for the fences on. Guy was a good receiver who dropped because of the injury risk... so you take him in a later round and if he doesn't make it or gets hurt, oh well 4th round pick, if he works out and stays healthy it's a big win cause you snagged a solid guy in the 4th round. Not like this is a guy they took with a first round pick or something.

We've definitely been in the habit of taking good athletes that we either have to convert or hope will come back from an injury. I'm not completely knocking the approach because if it does work out...like you said...you will get that home run.

Recently we released Matechuk a Green, two guys that are purely special teams players. Just wondering if we continue to do this and players continue to get hurt...if we'll have any guys left to fill the special teams slots.

Mulumba - Risk of NFL

Robertson - Risk that he is not big enough to play at the next level

Fitzgerald - Not so much of a risk, but we took him earlier than he was projected

DiCroce - Risk of re-injury

Alli - Already injured. Risk that he may not ever be 100 percent healthy.

Billy Whatshisname - Risk of drug use (not really, but we were the ones to "take a chance" on him)

Our drafting strategy is very "swing for the fences". Maybe a safe pick or two is in order?

We've definitely been in the habit of taking good athletes that we either have to convert or hope will come back from an injury. I'm not completely knocking the approach because if it does work out...like you said...you will get that home run.

Recently we released Matechuk a Green, two guys that are purely special teams players. Just wondering if we continue to do this and players continue to get hurt...if we'll have any guys left to fill the special teams slots.

Mulumba - Risk of NFL

Robertson - Risk that he is not big enough to play at the next level

Fitzgerald - Not so much of a risk, but we took him earlier than he was projected

DiCroce - Risk of re-injury

Alli - Already injured. Risk that he may not ever be 100 percent healthy.

Billy Whatshisname - Risk of drug use (not really, but we were the ones to "take a chance" on him)

Our drafting strategy is very "swing for the fences". Maybe a safe pick or two is in order?

If you want to cheer for a team that makes safe draft picks, the NFL is probably the league for you. There is no such thing as a safe CFL draft pick. Period.

Completely disagree with that. There is always a safer pick. Doesn't mean that they will be a starter for years, but they might be a useful teamer for a few. I think we need to balance out our picks between risky and safe a bit more.

Completely disagree with that. There is always a safer pick. Doesn't mean that they will be a starter for years, but they might be a useful teamer for a few. I think we need to balance out our picks between risky and safe a bit more.

I guarantee you that if you name ANY draft pick from the first 3 rounds of this year's draft, there's a "risk" for them. After those rounds, EVERY pick is more or less a flier.

Round one

1 Hamilton Tiger-Cats Linden Gaydosh DT Calgary -- NFL risk

2 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Andy Mulumba DE Eastern Michigan -- NFL risk

3 Montreal Alouettes (via Edmonton[14]) Mike Edem LB Calgary -- No solid position defined, potential risk to not translate to pro ball

4 Saskatchewan Roughriders Corey Watman OL Eastern Michigan -- NFL risk

5 Montreal Alouettes Steven Lumbala RB Calgary -- Told teams if he was not feeling like he had an opportunity to make a 46 man roster, he'd go work in the field of work he got a degree in

6 BC Lions Hunter Steward OL Liberty -- NFL risk

7 Calgary Stampeders Brander Craighead OL UTEP -- NFL risk

8 Toronto Argonauts Matt Sewell OL McMaster -- NFL risk

9 Ottawa expansion team Nolan MacMillan OL Iowa -- NFL risk

Round two

10 Edmonton Eskimos (via Hamilton[16]) Stefan Charles DT Regina -- NFL risk

11 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Kristopher Robertson DB Concordia -- Probably the safest pick so far, but even you said he went too early. Risk of potential not matching the draft selection used

12 BC Lions (via Edmonton[15]) Seydou Junior Haidara WR Laval -- Doesn't speak English, risk that he's not able to pick up team schemes, etc.

13 Calgary Stampeders (via Saskatchewan[7]) Ben D'Aguilar DE McMaster -- NFL risk

14 Montreal Alouettes Hosam Shahin DT Rice -- NFL risk

15 Hamilton Tiger-Cats (via Edmonton[16] via BC[15]) Brent Urban DL Virginia -- NFL risk, positional change risk

16 Calgary Stampeders Brett Jones OL Regina -- Was a risk to pursue a medical career

17 Toronto Argonauts Jermaine Gabriel DB Bishop's -- Another "safer" pick, but again ... went too early according to most experts.

18 Ottawa expansion team Connor Williams DE Utah State -- NFL risk

Round three

19 Hamilton Tiger-Cats Carl-Olivier Prime LB Wagner College -- Changing positions, big risk he may not pick up the spot as anticipated

20 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Carl Fitzgerald WR Saint Mary's -- Risk of potential not matching the draft selection used.

21 BC Lions (via Edmonton[17]) Boseko Lokombo LB Oregon -- NFL risk

22 Toronto Argonauts (via Saskatchewan[19]) Natey Adjei WR Buffalo -- NFL risk

23 Montreal Alouettes Jesse Joseph DE Connecticut -- NFL risk

24 Edmonton Eskimos (via Hamilton[16] via BC) Kyle Norris LB Saint Mary's -- Risk to pursue work in field he graduated in

25 Calgary Stampeders Yannick Morin Plante WR Laval -- Pretty safe pick, actually. But again ... as I said, risk that he never pans out to be worth a roster spot.

26 Edmonton Eskimos (via Toronto[18]) Christopher Mercer OL Regina -- Attitude risk, had plenty of red flags surrounding attitude/personality in college ball

27 Ottawa expansion team Kalonji Kashama DE Eastern Michigan -- NFL risk

Well that certainly is eye-opening about the first three rounds of the draft. Are all of those guys really big NFL risks? Naturally, we are always going to be dealing with the fact that the NFL is "the league" everyone wants to play in, but how many of those guys are realistically NFL risks?

I was really disappointed to see Robertson go down with an injury because I agree, he was one guy that I thought would be a safer pick. Really liked that pick.

Injuries happen. MD broke his foot. I somehow doubt it has any relation to his previous injury.. Last time I checked, bones knitted more solid then before the injury..

Pencer was drafted knowing his shoulders would probably need work (I thought anyway) and it wasn't major repair, it was cleaning and scoping..

Not sure why Jade was mentioned in this post.. he has been healthy the entire time he has been a bomber, no?

Stephan, what was his previous injuries prior to hurting himself on ST last season?

regardless, I think this is being blown waaaaay outta proportion..

I do think that injury history has an affect on a players draft position and I *do* believe that teams should consider a players history when making their selections.  That said, special players come along and the risk is worth the reward .. and with respect to some of the players we drafted this year .. we were able to get a guy like DiCroce where we did (great value) BECAUSE of his injury history.