Random Jets News

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

That would drastically change the look of the team, the first couple of months should give us a good idea if the coaching change has done anything and if the said players have bought in.

Yes, perhaps I should have said, ANY three could be traded in-year. I would be surprised if they dealt Sheif, unless he's a problem and a great offer comes in. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, perhaps I should have said, ANY three could be traded in-year. I would be surprised if they dealt Sheif, unless he's a problem and a great offer comes in. 

Agreed in terms of Scheifele I think they really want to see what the coaching change with do to his game, with a new contract around the corner in a few years they need to find out if he is all in or wants a change of scenery. Personally I think he has a bounce back year and finally starts to play a two way game.

Optimistically maybe short term all this drama with certain individual players, this lead by committee approach and status quo on improving our talent will be a good thing i.e., players wanting to catch the attention of other teams and the team they currently play for with their on-ice off-ice production will result in at least get us into the playoffs this coming season..

Or

We will royally suck this year.

22 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I don't know if I would use the word sucked but I think your statement here is closer to the truth of why the change was made.

Maybe the first third of the season is an audition to determine a permanent C and A's.

Maybe sucked was too harsh a term, but clearly change needed to happen.  With Blake and Mark's leadership style and Maurice's hands off approach it really spelled disaster since 2018.    Anyways I welcome the change.

20 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't think 55 is going anywhere.   I am , in the minority admittedly, that PLD is using this year to determine if he wants to stay long term in Winnipeg.  This leadership change is the start of righting the ship and might start changing PLD's mind.  The only contract I see being moved is Wheelers, but Jets likely have to eat 40-50% of that contract to make the trade worthwhile for any team. 

The doom and gloom around this team is somewhat warranted, but this roster has a bunch of great players, and all they may have needed was a fresh coaching staff.   We've got one now, and I think we'll be a lot more competitive than people are giving credit for.    Everyone that's complaining about the Jets making no off season moves, you also need willing dance partners.   Who wants to roll the dice with a 36 year old with a 8.5M cap hit?   Put your GM hat on for a minute, do you want to take that contract on? I've got optimism this season.  We'll see how the first 20 games go.

I think it's a fresh start, bowness don't know the guys or the team, and yeah simple as that. You need to give Bones time here to see who fits and who doesn't fit the style he wants to play. Hasn't had 1 practice with the team yet. I think the next  3 4 weeks will be interesting and perhaps you see some moves once bowness sees what we actually have. 

That said, I think they tried trading Wheeler but honestly don't think got much offers that helped the team on the ice as much as Blake does.  60 points is not easy to replace 

But I also think Blake is gone by next summer for sure one way or another . 

Would have been funner If Dubois signed long term probably 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

I think it's a fresh start, bowness don't know the guys or the team, and yeah simple as that. You need to give Bones time here to see who fits and who doesn't fit the style he wants to play. Hasn't had 1 practice with the team yet. I think the next  3 4 weeks will be interesting and perhaps you see some moves once bowness sees what we actually have. 

That said, I think they tried trading Wheeler but honestly don't think got much offers that helped the team on the ice as much as Blake does.  60 points is not easy to replace 

But I also think Blake is gone by next summer for sure one way or another . 

Would have been funner If Dubois signed long term probably 

Yeah we will take Blake for a 5th rounder if you take 90% of his salary...

On 2022-09-20 at 9:08 AM, Noeller said:

this randomly showed up in my FB memories today and I chuckled, in a sad sort of way, because you can really trace the fall of the Jets to this moment....

No photo description available.

Hey at least we were able to keep Kyle, so as Meatloaf would have said had he gotten vaccinated - 1 out 5 ain't bad...

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

2 were traded. 1 signed long term. The other they let go cuz he's overpaid 

And Trouba want out cause bff wanted murican health care bucks.

First preseason game on Sunday and still no play caller. Maybe it's just like UFA market and we cant get anyone to come :D

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 2022-09-20 at 11:08 AM, Noeller said:

this randomly showed up in my FB memories today and I chuckled, in a sad sort of way, because you can really trace the fall of the Jets to this moment....

No photo description available.

Have you seen Myers play in Vancouver? It's a positive he signed that ridiculous contract.

Trouba should have been traded the first time he held out, since there was a zero percent chance he'd stay. 

If Laine hadn't have been such a baby he'd still be here. That or more coddling was required to keep him happy.

43 minutes ago, MrFreakzilla said:

If Laine hadn't have been such a baby he'd still be here. That or more coddling was required to keep him happy.

Given everything that has come out about this team, it's hard to blame Laine for wanting out. It's been toxic for years. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Given everything that has come out about this team, it's hard to blame Laine for wanting out. It's been toxic for years. 

I mean according to finish gossip papers but not much about anything else. 

Gonna take more than James Patrick hearing from Kevin Hayes multiple years back.. I guess If the lockerroom was so awful why did Stastny resign last year and convince Schmidt to come. Alot of this is just bs rumors with no proof at all  

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I mean according to finish gossip papers but not much about anything else. 

Gonna take more than James Patrick hearing from Kevin Hayes multiple years back.. I guess If the lockerroom was so awful why did Stastny resign last year and convince Schmidt to come. Alot of this is just bs rumors with no proof at all  

The coach fired himself and the top dman walked out right before camp.

The captain asked for a trade and has been stripped of his captaincy. 

The assistant captain, despite being under contract, wanted to talk to his agent about his future. 

But, sure, nothing is going on. 

You can ignore all the smoke but you can't ignore the fire. 

This “Wheeler asked for a trade” rumour needs to be buried. He did not explicitly ask for a trade. Find me a hard quote that says otherwise, and I will re-consider. But I’ve asked before and the goalposts moved to “well, it’s easy to speculate that he did”. Fact is the club admitted they were looking for trade partners for him. This was club-led, not player-led. Since he has a limited no-trade now he would be required to provide a list. That does not mean he “asked” for a trade. It means he was consulted (as required per his contract) about which teams he would accept a trade to if the team wanted to move him. 
Once the club found no suitable trade partners, they backed off. Was Wheeler left disillusioned by all this and then looking to get out?  It certainly crossed his mind, which is understandable and which he openly said. But here is his direct quote on the trade stuff, and take it or leave it, it is the only hard evidence with this stance on “asking for a trade” I have seen anywhere (courtesy CTV):

The Jets failed to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs last season, which led to much speculation about their future. That included a discussion about trading Wheeler, who has two seasons left on a five-year deal with a yearly cap hit of US$8.25 million.

"I think, yeah, when you have a down season, you're going to have to have those conversations," said the 36-year-old Wheeler. "I've been here 11 years and you'd be crazy not to look in the mirror at yourself, and then, also look at an 11-year relationship and say, `Is this still in our best interest going forward?'

"Ultimately, we made the determination that it is, so here I am."

That last line is the opposite of “I asked to be traded”. Is this splitting hairs? I would argue it is an important distinction between what he said and what the likes of Trouba, Laine (through his agent), or Kane said publicly about not wanting to be here. He should not be portrayed as a guy who wants out. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Trust me they tried moving him this off season but no takers on his 5 team list that was/still is expanded slightly to a few more teams. Did he say I want out? No. Did he say Maurice is the only coach he wants to play for? Yes. He basically said it's not his decision to make, meaning if they traded him,  that's cool too. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Blake go at the deadline with retention if we struggle. It's easier to retain 2 to 4 million for 1 year than 2 depending on retention amount. 

They were shopping him. 

Josh and Mark keep their A's too