Covid-19

JCon

man....everytime I refresh my social media feed something is cancelled, even the Teddy Bears Picnic is now cancelled, even though it normally occurs in May, and it was there I realized that the Children's Hospital Book Market will probably be effected too

Now I'm waiting and wondering if and when school divisions will be closed, I mean I wanted time off but not like this

7 minutes ago, iHeart said:

man....everytime I refresh my social media feed something is cancelled, even the Teddy Bears Picnic is now cancelled, even though it normally occurs in May, and it was there I realized that the Children's Hospital Book Market will probably be effected too

Now I'm waiting and wondering if and when school divisions will be closed, I mean I wanted time off but not like this

Schools are closed for three weeks starting March 23rd. One week from now. 

Edited by JCon

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Imagine the chaos for parents.  Single parent has to take off work?  Man...

my sister is a single mother of 2 in Lorette...not sure what she's going to do. I think my folks are going to be working overtime for her. Unless they close the provincial borders, I'm still planning on coming home next week, so hopefully I can help out a bit, but we'll see how it goes. Things are changing rapidly...

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Imagine the chaos for parents.  Single parent has to take off work?  Man...

My family can handle this but this will dramatically affect many of my colleagues. 

I got wind of this yesterday and warned some friends. 

We've been making alternate plans at work all week. 

Just now, Noeller said:

my sister is a single mother of 2 in Lorette...not sure what she's going to do. I think my folks are going to be working overtime for her. Unless they close the provincial borders, I'm still planning on coming home next week, so hopefully I can help out a bit, but we'll see how it goes. Things are changing rapidly...

Hopefully, everyone can pull together and help in the community. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

well I just found out the the students are getting the time off and not the staff(except for Spring Break), well that's fine....as long as I don't get sick over the weekend (but what am I worried about I'm 30 years old and I have no pre-existing conditions)

Edited by iHeart

57 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

At what point does TSN1290 just go into self-isolation.

I can't even imagine what they're talking about all day every day....as it is, in a music-based station, I'm finding it tough because virtually every event we cover has been cancelled. I'm spending virtually every break during my 4 hour show talking about cancellations right now. Super weird...

6 hours ago, johnzo said:

hey Speedflex, I hope your family is doing okay!  That sucks that you had to cancel your trip.

My family is fine here, although I'm a little bit vulnerable to it so we're being really cautious.  Been working from home for a week now.  Haven't got the cabin fever yet, but we'll see what happens when we run out of Netflix to watch...

Yeah, we were looking forward to it but what can anyone do? I just hope health officials get a handle on what is happening in Seattle. Please stay safe. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, we were looking forward to it but what can anyone do? I just hope health officials get a handle on what is happening in Seattle. Please stay safe.

thanks! My family is pretty well set up to ride this thing out -- we have no kids, tons of friends, and jobs we can work from home -- but like JCon says, school closures are really jacking folks' lives up here.  Emergency childcare + social distancing all at once, that's a nasty combination.

And we've got a lot of small businesses here that are running month-to-month and they're really going to get smacked by this. My restaurant friends are organizing fundraisers and gift card drives so that they can keep some money flowing in to pay the bills.

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

"...made more than $100,000..." Um, no. They bought $70k in supplies and sold it for $100k. They made $30k.

That being said these are horrible people. 

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

250 deaths recorded today in Italy, over 15,000 infected

This is why we're getting a jump start and "over reacting". Anything to not end up like that. I have a friend that I went to high school with that married a fella from Italy so is married with kids over there. Day 23 of quarantine. Home schooling the kids. 300 Euro fine for being caught outside of your home. It's dystopian... So crazy. What we're doing now with our own lockdowns is perfectly reasonable given how this COULD go...