Covid-19

JCon

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Apparently not beverage rooms. 

Which pretty sad, when you stop to think about it. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Macron declares second national lockdown in France - Starting on Friday, people would only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.

College Louis Riel to close for 2 weeks.

Except for Belgium, which is extending the fall break from one week to two weeks, I have not heard of any countries closing schools as part of their lockdown. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ups-executive-quarantine-exemption-1.5780753

The president of U.S. operations for global shipping giant UPS was granted a special ministerial exemption from Canada's mandatory 14-day COVID-19 quarantine, a CBC News investigation has learned, which he used to lobby Ontario employees to accept the company's new contract offer.

Nando Cesarone travelled from Atlanta to Toronto for three days of meetings starting Oct. 19.

Foreign Affairs Minister François-Philippe Champagne has granted 191 such quarantine exemptions on "business mobility" grounds since the pandemic began — 138 of them over the past six weeks, a spokesperson said. Permission to skip the self-isolation requirement is given only under "exceptional circumstances," the department said, and applicants must "thoroughly justify the immediacy of their purpose of travel to Canada."

Global Affairs refused to discuss Cesarone's exemption, citing the federal Privacy Act.

What is business mobility? And why can't such activities be conducted via Skype, Zoom, conference call, etc.? This sort of exemption may be low risk but the optics are extremely ugly, especially when a gov't agency chooses to hide behind the Privacy Act.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-covid19-canada-world-oct-30-1.5783076

The latest:

Looks like the science says lockdown... let's see what the Premier does... lives over economy or economy over lives....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-doctors-call-for-provincewide-shutdown-covid19-1.5783335

"We're well past the stage where even a robust community response will significantly slow the epidemic. Fortunately, your government has already shown us what needs to be done," the letter says.

Once Manitoba hits over 200 daily cases, COVID-19 "will overwhelm resources" in a span of one or two weeks, the doctors say.

"We cannot allow this epidemic to progress unchecked."

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

There's no room for science on Broadway. 

It's going to hurt for a few weeks but lockdown may be the way to go. I hope we can keep some non-essential businesses open that have proven to be safe and following protocols. 

I've heard that they may be closing schools to kids of non-essential workers. Same for daycares. 

That being said, last time I heard stricter lockdown rules around the school, they pulled back after getting pushback from the School Boards. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

media expecting some major announcements at 12;30 today...going to be an important presser. 

I've heard it's Roussin's presser? I thought Friesen or Palister would deliver the news. Or, have they been added? 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's no room for science on Broadway. 

It's going to hurt for a few weeks but lockdown may be the way to go. I hope we can keep some non-essential businesses open that have proven to be safe and following protocols. 

I've heard that they may be closing schools to kids of non-essential workers. Same for daycares. 

That being said, last time I heard stricter lockdown rules around the school, they pulled back after getting pushback from the School Boards. 

Personally, I don't see the value/need to shutdown schools.  If that's where it's spreading, then maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  If they need to bring in stricter measures for certain schools where it is spreading, then that makes sense to me.

The measures need to be targeted to where the virus is being spread (and no, I don't know where that is, but I presume that the contact tracing shows that.

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

Personally, I don't see the value/need to shutdown schools.  If that's where it's spreading, then maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  If they need to bring in stricter measures for certain schools where it is spreading, then that makes sense to me.

The measures need to be targeted to where the virus is being spread (and no, I don't know where that is, but I presume that the contact tracing shows that.

Agreed, the schools look like they are doing a great job- i think they should stay open. I am really comfortable keeping my 2 kids in school- they have been doing a great job with Covid protocols.

6 minutes ago, Sard said:

Agreed. I think that there has been minimal spread and, if the schools implement the measures that were announced last week, they should become safer. 

Personally, I think the failures have been at the Provincial level to scale up testing (finally getting better) and contact tracing. Waiting a week or two for contact tracing is way out of line. 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Agreed. I think that there has been minimal spread and, if the schools implement the measures that were announced last week, they should become safer. 

Personally, I think the failures have been at the Provincial level to scale up testing (finally getting better) and contact tracing. Waiting a week or two for contact tracing is way out of line. 

The province really botched it with the mixed messaging (ready, start grow- or some other ****), the failure to get more testers and increase testing... 

Initially I felt they handled it well back in the spring... but man did they ever fumble the ball... and then ******* lecture us about... 

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Collége Louis-Riel is the only school that is having a serious outbreak right now, the classroom that was exposed a couple of weeks back at my workplace should be back on monday if a complete shutdown isn't announced

Was it really serious at 4?

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

I've heard it's Roussin's presser? I thought Friesen or Palister would deliver the news. Or, have they been added? 

Prediction...Roussin will threaten, Friesen will threaten, Pallister will threaten and that's it.

I'm hearing a huge, huge number. 

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Deja vu all over again

Funny, I was there yesterday after work and it was quiet. I time it that way. 

But, this is a bit misleading, it just opened, so they're slowly letting people in. 

Edited by JCon

"Gyms and fitness centres will have reduced capacity to 25 percent and masks will be mandatory, even when exercising - Movie theatres and concert halls will close"

To me that not make sense. People are huffing and puffing in gyms/fitness centres but a place like theatres people are just sitting there. Not that there is anything in theatres.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Yhis is past the point where it can be ignored in any way. Australia, with 25 million people is in a far better position - 583 nation-wide deaths. 550 were in long-term care facilities. The reasons are very simple and doable but right-wingers will foam at the mouth.

1. There are national standards for care facilities as to staffing, housing and care models, whether the facility is public (almost all are), for-profit or non-for-profit.

2. There must be inly one resident per room.

3. All care facilities were locked down for two weeks at the start of the pandemic- no visitors and no staff moving from one facility to another.

4. All visitors to these are checked at the door before entry, and are required to advise if they become ill after visiting. 

5. there was a severe lockdown overall in the country for two weeks with no non-essential travels leaving or coming in, and even after the initial lockdown, all incoming travelers had to checked upon entry and isolate following entry.