World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

If I have a dog in this hunt, it is the prevention and cessation of needless human suffering. That's it.  I understand this is an emotional topic for you and I will try to keep that in mind.

If my posts are causing you grief or stress, sincerely, I apologize.  Yes. I know what it means. That's why I used the metaphor. And your implication that it can only mean the threat of force is just wrong.

I'm sure the West's condemnation of Putin really hurts his feelings while they still, all of them, buy his gas. At prices which all went up due to his incursion into Ukraine.

Ouch.

I didn't say that the West has nothing. Perhaps you read it wrong? I said they'll do nothing. Which they, in any real terms, are doing. F-All. 

The military materiel and humanitarian supplied to Ukraine has been of great help to them. Had it not been for this help, the invasion would have rolled over Ukraine already. The resistance has been much greater than Putin anticipated- over 4,000 Russian casualties, and two Russian generals dead. Even though Putin claims things are going according to plan, as of today contradicting government reports or criticizing Putin's war is is punishable by 20 years imprisonment, all independent media has been shut down and there are reports that Russian conscription of troops is imminent. None of this ensures Ukrainian victory but analysts have estimated that if Ukrainian resistance is not crushed in the next 7-10 days, Putin will be in trouble.

Third Assassination Attempt on Zelensky Fails as Putin Sparks ‘Nuclear Terror’

An aide to the Ukrainian president credits “Russian spies” for tipping them off to at least three assassination attempts.
Comic-turned-hero Volodymyr Zelensky has survived at least three precision assassination attempts by elite hit squads since Russia’s week old war began, according to Ukrainian officials who say his survival was all thanks to tip-offs from Russian spies.

Both the the Kremlin-funded Wagner group mercenaries and Chechen Republic leader Ramzan Akhmadovich Kadyrov’s kill teams have allegedly tried to kill the Ukrainian president, who is hiding out in various bunkers deep below the capital Kyiv, according to the Washington Post. The Wagner mercenaries—run by Yevgeny Prigozhin A.K.A. “Putin’s chef” —reportedly have a kill list of 24 names, including Zelensky, but were waylaid by the stalled military convoy outside of Kyiv that made it difficult for Russian special forces to secure an escape route, according to the Times of London.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

If I have a dog in this hunt, it is the prevention and cessation of needless human suffering. That's it.

I understand this is an emotional topic for you and I will try to keep that in mind.

If my posts are causing you grief or stress, sincerely, I apologize.

Yes. I know what it means. That's why I used the metaphor. And your implication that it can only mean the threat of force is just wrong.

I'm sure the West's condemnation of Putin really hurts his feelings while they still, all of them, buy his gas. At prices which all went up due to his incursion into Ukraine.

Ouch.

I didn't say that the West has nothing. Perhaps you read it wrong?

I said they'll do nothing. Which they, in any real terms, are doing. F-All. 

The West, ALL of them, are not still buying his oil. Canada, for instance, has stopped. Biden is expected to do so in the next couple days and Germany has cancelled the Nordstream pipeline that will cost trillions to Russia in oil exports. The West's condemnation does a hell of a lot more than hurt Putin's feelings. His economy is in free fall, the rouble has crashed and so has his stock market, and China has already come out and stated that they will not be the safety net for their economy and wish to remain somewhat neutral. I am not sure where you are getting your facts from? Vladimir Putin's reign will not survive anything but absolute surrender by the Ukrainians on amicable terms that causes the West to reduce sanctions. Already powerful oligarchs are calling for his head.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

The West, ALL of them, are not still buying his oil. Canada, for instance, has stopped. Biden is expected to do so in the next couple days and Germany has cancelled the Nordstream pipeline that will cost trillions to Russia in oil exports. The West's condemnation does a hell of a lot more than hurt Putin's feelings. His economy is in free fall, the rouble has crashed and so has his stock market, and China has already come out and stated that they will not be the safety net for their economy and wish to remain somewhat neutral. I am not sure where you are getting your facts from?

Russia produces 4% of the world's oil. We can easily overcome the shortage, provided we can get the product to the markets that need it. 

Not only are the Russians having trouble selling it, the ruble has been devastated. 

Just now, JCon said:

Russia produces 4% of the world's oil. We can easily overcome the shortage, provided we can get the product to the markets that need it. 

Not only are the Russians having trouble selling it, the ruble has been devastated. 

Canada has as much oil reserves as Russia and UAE combined. Trudeau needs to get the Pipestone XL going.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Russias oil is easily replaced. The country is ready and willing, the USA just needs to lift their sanctions on it. Venezuela has more oil than russia but the USA won't touch it. 

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The West, ALL of them, are not still buying his oil. Canada, for instance, has stopped. Biden is expected to do so in the next couple days and Germany has cancelled the Nordstream pipeline that will cost trillions to Russia in oil exports. The West's condemnation does a hell of a lot more than hurt Putin's feelings. His economy is in free fall, the rouble has crashed and so has his stock market, and China has already come out and stated that they will not be the safety net for their economy and wish to remain somewhat neutral. I am not sure where you are getting your facts from? Vladimir Putin's reign will not survive anything but absolute surrender by the Ukrainians on amicable terms that causes the West to reduce sanctions. Already powerful oligarchs are calling for his head.

Small clarification - they cancelled Nord stream 2.  The Nord stream 1 pipeline is still fully operational (at least as of a few days ago).

https://www.businessinsider.com/nord-stream-1-eon-gas-pipeline-germany-gazprom-russia-ukraine-2022-2

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Russias oil is easily replaced. The country is ready and willing, the USA just needs to lift their sanctions on it. Venezuela has more oil than russia but the USA won't touch it. 

Makes zero sense to go get Russian oil or Venezuelas when you have your best friend and ally in Canada with more oil than both of them sitting next door not taking it out of the ground. The Liberals have made a dog's breakfast out of our oil industry and now is the time to correct it.

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Biden cleaning up another Trump mess, 

An Iran nuclear agreement is close. So I read.

they will be supplying oil  as soon as possible after that.

That's good news for the EU and impetus for them to cancel Russian oil. I am still unclear why Canada is not in the oil conversation. 

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

I thought it was their LNG that's keeping Europe warm.

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Iran nuclear agreement is close.

they will be supplying oil  as soon as possible after that.

also, why dont our great good friends saudi increase the supply?

Remind me who is negotiating the Iran deal on the US's behalf?

40 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That's good news for the EU and impetus for them to cancel Russian oil. I am still unclear why Canada is not in the oil conversation. 

It's not that we can't be, but like you said we would need the infrastructure to be built (pipelines). Venezuela does not. It's ready to go

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's not that we can't be, but like you said we would need the infrastructure to be built (pipelines). Venezuela does not. It's ready to go

For sure that's a big factor. However, US has a ton of processing capacity for our oil if we were to ship it raw.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Makes zero sense to go get Russian oil or Venezuelas when you have your best friend and ally in Canada with more oil than both of them sitting next door not taking it out of the ground. The Liberals have made a dog's breakfast out of our oil industry and now is the time to correct it.

How many pipelines got built under Harper? Sure they made a bunch approvals but there was nothing built then either. The time to start building pipelines isn't now, it was 20 years ago. 

Al Sharpton imo makes a great point that the US can’t be global liberators while back at home ignoring the serious threat on democracy. I would add harsh twitter words, investigating, looking into it, setting up committees blah blah blah with no real action and consequences is still ignoring at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

The best answer may be in Venezuela, which has been suffering from US embargoes for years. The oil production has been cut back drastically but is capable of being upscaled quickly and is light crude. The US may see this as the lesser of evils, even though they would love to continue punishing Venezuela.

Zelenskky has escaped assassination three times in the past week, and it sounds as if the FSB has tipped off his security in at least 1 attempt, there are many in Russia and apparently high up that don't want this war and are trying to make it harder for Russia to succeed.

Edited by bustamente

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Canada has as much oil reserves as Russia and UAE combined. Trudeau needs to get the Pipestone XL going.

I don't understand the reasoning behind investing billions of tax payer's money to fund a project that will never see a return on investment. It boggles the mind...

That money is better spent elsewhere... like infrastructure that actually benefits Canadians. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Have not watched this.... documentary about women fighting for ukraine,eastern ukraine.

https://invisiblebattalion.org/en/mediahub2/#films

According to Ukrainian news, there are some 17,000 Ukrainian women fighting now, including the current Miss Ukraine.

51 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I don't understand the reasoning behind investing billions of tax payer's money to fund a project that will never see a return on investment. It boggles the mind...

That money is better spent elsewhere... like infrastructure that actually benefits Canadians. 

I seem to recall that the Diefenbaker government lost an election when they were poised to spend many millions of dollars of Canadian taxpayer money to build a pipeline to carry petroleum to the US. 

Alexander Ermochenko/Reuters
Two commanders participating in Russia’s globally condemned invasion of Ukraine were killed Friday, according to Western officials cited by The Independent. Since the war began nine days ago, three senior officers in the Russian military have so far lost their lives to fierce resistance on the Ukrainian side. Yesterday, it was confirmed that Maj. Gen. Andrei Sukhovetsky, deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central District, died in combat. Russian troops have reportedly been sticking with tactics that proved unsuccessful, rather than cutting their losses and trying something new. “In this campaign, it’s been remarkable that they have continued to reinforce failure,” an unidentified Western official told The Independent. “That lack of operational agility I find surprising.”

Russians Are Tipping Off Ukraine To Putin’s Plots To Kill Zelensky

Russian spies who oppose the invasion of Ukraine have tipped off the Ukrainians three times to plots to kill Zelensky.

Russian double agents have stopped plots to kill Zelensky, “Ukrainian national security chief Oleksiy Danilov told a Ukrainian television network that double agents from Russia’s Federal Security Service or FSB warned them of the attempts. “I can say that we have received information from the FSB, who do not want to take part in this bloody war, and thanks to this, the Kadyrov elite group was destroyed, which came here to eliminate our president.”

Zelensky’s status as a global cult hero has to be driving Putin crazy, which is why he is using one of his favorite tactics of assassinating his opposition. There are many Russians who don’t want the war with Ukraine, and Americans have seen similar lower-stakes situations play out during the Trump administration, as people within the government worked to stop Trump from within.  Putin is not only fighting Ukraine. He is battling his own people.
Internationally, President Biden has been making sure that Ukraine gets US intelligence within minutes, as there are people worldwide, including in Russia, who are working to stop Putin and his deadly invasion.

Even Russians are fighting against Putin in Ukraine.