Blue DBs Get Second Warning

Original Story Here

For the full story, hit the Free Press website ...

If Tim Burke is bluffing, he's doing a very convincing job of it.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach once again on Thursday repeated that his team's veteran defensive backs will either improve this season or they will be looking for new jobs.

And yes, Burke confirmed Thursday, that includes the all-star duo of Jonathan Hefney and Jovon Johnson.

"That includes every guy in the secondary. That's just the way it's going to be," said Burke Thursday following the second day of a Bombers rookie training camp at Investors Group Field that includes a whopping nine defensive backs -- most of any position.

"We're either going to play better as a group or we're going to have a new group."

cont.

"Let's say we went to the Grey Cup and even won it last year -- I still think that every year you're trying to bring in some guys who are going to make you better," said Burke, who has retained a keen interest in the secondary even after he took over the head coach's job last summer.

"You're always trying to replace who you think is the weakest of your defensive backs with somebody new."

Frankly, I love that guys are being forced to complete .. to stay hungry .. to prove something. After Swaggerville a lot of guys got complacent ..

They say the same thing every year. I'll believe it when I see it, but he's right. They need to be better all around, so here's hoping...

Totally get that, but I think actions (in this case) speak as loud as words. If you look at the sheer number of bodies competing for spots at DB .. they are doing everything they can to ensure guys are being pushed.

They say the same thing every year. I'll believe it when I see it, but he's right. They need to be better all around, so here's hoping...

yea, while true.. It does seem like Burke is making sure the players and us fans know he is serious about it. That and the fact they did stink as a collective last season, coupled with the pile of talented DBs in camp should hopefully shake up any players who think they can coast back into the starting line.

I won't be shocked if any of the starters lose their job but I would be surprised. I think best case scenario is the starters keep their jobs, not because they've been handed to them but because they're still the best. Experience is valuable.

I won't be shocked if any of the starters lose their job but I would be surprised. I think best case scenario is the starters keep their jobs, not because they've been handed to them but because they're still the best. Experience is valuable.

Experience...and continuity. With a new safety in place, it would be very tough to unseat another incumbent. Another new guy means a heightened amount of unpredictability. Unless the new guy is overwhelmingly better, I say hang tough.

Well, it sounds like Johnson et all really showed up to play. Apparently Johnson lost fat and added lots of muscle which is good to hear. When he is on top of his game he is probably the best corner in the league. I love that he often returns his int's for TD's as well.... it really gives us an added dimension to our defence.

It will be interesting to see who all stays and goes. I can see Suber getting pushed out of a spot. He sticks on his guys like glue, but he just cant seem to play the ball well enough. If we can get a guy that can cover as well as he does, AND create turnover we'll be golden. I can see a guy like Washington winning that spot, or a new guy like Dunn/Markett.

Its still early, but guys like Dunn, Markett, and Marshall will probably be too good to cut. Its really going to put the coaches in a hard spot this year. Especially if Miles(once he returns) and Kennedy continue to impress. Theres just too many good import players to be able to keep around.

question; was the PR expanded to nine players this season? if so that should at least help a little.

Its still early, but guys like Dunn, Markett, and Marshall will probably be too good to cut. Its really going to put the coaches in a hard spot this year. Especially if Miles(once he returns) and Kennedy continue to impress. Theres just too many good import players to be able to keep around.

While I completely agree with the need to balance youth with veteran influence, this right here demonstrates why the approach our organization is the right one.  It's sustainable and will allow the club to be competitive long term. 

So this must count as a third warning:

Asked Tuesday morning after the first of two practice sessions to comment on the progress of his team, Burke tore a strip off his crew of veteran defensive backs.

"I told the first group of secondary people last night I wasn’t happy with their performance and if they don’t pick it up, they’re going to be gone," said Burke. "I don’t know how many times I’ve got to say it. I guess it’s going to take somebody getting cut to get the message across.

"I’m not happy with the first secondary and how they are performing. Everybody else is performing really well."

When pressed if it was assignment or mental mistakes, Burke said: "Effort. How is that possible? They aren’t running hard enough. They’re not getting to the football. They’re not intense enough on the field. How is that possible? Ask them, because I don’t have the answer."

Burke-on-Bombers-secondary-Im-not-happy-210092981.html

Looks like Burke's not kidding.

as mentioned, they were not very good collectively as a unit last season.. Hopefully this fire and brimstone attitude gets the most out of them or weeds out the guy or guys who are simply not here to play their best. 

I love Burkes attitude as a head coach. No bullshit, just play your asses off and everything will work out. Really hope it translates into a better record this year. There were some concerns when he took over last year, but hopefully with him being able to put his stamp on the team from the get go everyone buys in.

Markett & Washington have been singled out as being very good so far in camp. Washington in particular is a guy I wouldn't be shocked to see win a starting job.

Washington is currently being penciled in at WIL, which means he will have a lot of pass coverage responsibility, but won’t likely be replacing one of the existing DBs that Burke is referring to. 

Washington is currently being penciled in at WIL, which means he will have a lot of pass coverage responsibility, but won’t likely be replacing one of the existing DBs that Burke is referring to. 

Yeah I noticed that as well, I thought he was in line for the SAM postion, I guess this has to do with the WIL position now being the "nickelback" spot.