Blue DBs Get Second Warning

the point is though, if a GM is shopping a veteran, it's unlikely he'll be keeping him.

anyway, how certain are we that Hefney is in the doghouse?

Well Burke has gone about 3 days in a row, as well as at the very start of rookie camp that the veteran secondary players weren't good enough last year and aren't showing good enough effort so far this year, and Hefney is known to be one of the flakier guys back there so it's a lot of conclusions being drawn, but it's something that sounds believable.

if Mack could do that, i'd be impressed.

Hefney would be worth at least a pick or two seeing how Hervey gave up picks for a guy who was about to become a free agent and Taman gave up a player and pick for Simon. Hamilton needs help in the secondary. I doubt your Argos would turn their nose up considering you're going to have basically a new secondary this season and Barker is the guy who gave up two picks (including a first rounder) for Jyles.

Still don't think Hef is going anywhere.

Football isn't about what have you done for me before it's all about what can you do for me today, next game or next week? If Hefney can't cut it, he'll be gone. That is how it is playing pro sports. Players get paid to win & not paid to play. If that was the case both Alex Brink & Joey Elliott would still be here. All about performance.

I absolutely think Hefney would have trade value. If we could get #8 overall for a majorly declining Willis, We could get at least a second rounder for Hef. Edmonton lost a lot of good DB's this year, Hamilton desperately needs them, Toronto could use one or two good ones, Montreal and Sask as well. The only teams I could see balking at us for shopping Hef would be BC and Calgary.

Not that I WANT to trade him.... I would much rather see him play like in 2011 for us. And if we WERE to trade him, I would hope it would be to edmonton or sask... I do not want to play a motivated/pissed off Hefney 3-5 times in one year.

If Huff thinks Heff could help the Stamps he'd go after him. But teams aren't stupid... if they think Hefney is going to get cut they'll just wait.

Not necessarily. If he's in demand, it might be easier to give up an asset for him as opposed to getting in a bidding war on the open market.

Not necessarily. If he's in demand, it might be easier to give up an asset for him as opposed to getting in a bidding war on the open market.

If they can get him for free when he's cut then they don't have to give anything up. That's the key. Heff's trade value would go up I believe if he was a starter...

If they can get him for free when he's cut then they don't have to give anything up. That's the key. Heff's trade value would go up I believe if he was a starter...

I think you missed my point.

If you wait until he's cut, you run the risk that you may not be able to sign him because there's a strong market for his services.

If you give up an asset, you can secure him before other teams get a chance to make him an offer as a free agent.

I think you missed my point.

If you wait until he's cut, you run the risk that you may not be able to sign him because there's a strong market for his services.

If you give up an asset, you can secure him before other teams get a chance to make him an offer as a free agent.

I have to think he's on a big contract right now. It would be interesting to see if he could get the same money again on the open market.

I really don't think he'll be cut though, so none of this probably matters.

Seems like the message is starting to sink in for some of these guys.

Original Story Here

"We came out here and showed what we had to do today... all the linemen wanted to fight us, so hopefully he'll see something on film that changes his mind," said Jonathan Hefney. "I feel like we've been doing it the whole time. But at the same time, he sees it, the film sees it... maybe a couple guys weren't running to the ball every single play.

'They aren't running hard enough. They're not getting to the football. They're not intense enough on the field. How is that possible?'

"But as we talked to the (other defensive backs) at the same time we told them, 'Just try to get to the ball and make a play. Give 100 per cent effort on everything you do and coach can't say too much, you know?' "

Let's trade Hefney to Toronto for Ricky Ray.

Have they hired Tilllman yet, or is the league just paying him directily?

just Hefney? heck... if you aren't going to make a serious offer fuhgedaboudit...

the price for Ray was set at: 1 QB, 1 Kicker and a draft pick.

:lol:

just Hefney? heck... if you aren't going to make a serious offer fuhgedaboudit...

the price for Ray was set at: 1 QB, 1 Kicker and a draft pick.

:lol:

Where is Steven Jyles these days?

I was hoping the league would just take care of it. It's the Bombers turn to win a Grey Cup. ;)

In all seriousness though, I'd be pretty upset if the Bombers just cut Hefney. Like others have said, Hefney would start on any defence in the CFL.

He may have an attitude problem but on game day, he is usually flying around the field.  He is the type of player that brings the energy up for the other players on the defence.

Is he lackadaisical during practice?  I am not sure, but come game day, he is all over the place.

I heard an interview where Burke said that during the practice he does not watch the first team defence. (He is concentrated on other things.)

Burke stated that it is Creehan who is focusing on the first team unit and in my opinion it is Creehan who is relaying this information, (That the first team DBs need to compete harder.), to Burke. 

It’s all about motivation.  Don’t let anyone get too comfortable.

This way Creehan, the DC, can light a fire under their butts and still be the good guy.

Hefney lost of a lot of his lustre to me when he pitched a fit about playing SAM last year. Not the kind of attitude you want to see on a team. While people were jumping all over Johnson for being terrible, I was more ok with him just playing poorly because at least he was willing to do whatever the team wanted him to do. Not a lot of patience for me first players.

Hefney lost of a lot of his lustre to me when he pitched a fit about playing SAM last year. Not the kind of attitude you want to see on a team. While people were jumping all over Johnson for being terrible, I was more ok with him just playing poorly because at least he was willing to do whatever the team wanted him to do. Not a lot of patience for me first players.

Thing about that was Hefney was honest.  He said I'm a league all-star as a weakside HB and I don't think our team is better with me at SAM vs me at WHB.  He went out that game in Toronto and had the best game of any SAM we played last season, of course we lost the game with Jovon getting burned deep while playing half, a game that Hefney and a handful of defenders kept us in with virtually no thrust from the offence outside of Simpson.  He didn't refuse to play the position, he didn't give any less than his best effort while playing SAM and in the end he was right.  I have no problem with a player saying what his preference is and going out and playing his best no matter where he is lined up.  If he would have refused to play (Armstrong) or been insubordinate in anyway it would be completely different IMO.

While I agree to an extent, he does have a point.. if you cut off your nose to spite your face your not really doing yourself any favours.. Hefney in the LB corps would have made our already poorly playing secondary that much worse.. I believe thats why he was complaining about the move.. 

unless it was solely personally motivated (trying to pad DB stats to get NFL look or whatever) in which I agree, no place for that the team.. 

Thing about that was Hefney was honest.  He said I'm a league all-star as a weakside HB and I don't think our team is better with me at SAM vs me at WHB.  He went out that game in Toronto and had the best game of any SAM we played last season, of course we lost the game with Jovon getting burned deep while playing half, a game that Hefney and a handful of defenders kept us in with virtually no thrust from the offence outside of Simpson.  He didn't refuse to play the position, he didn't give any less than his best effort while playing SAM and in the end he was right.  I have no problem with a player saying what his preference is and going out and playing his best no matter where he is lined up.  If he would have refused to play (Armstrong) or been insubordinate in anyway it would be completely different IMO.

very well said.  couldn't agree more. 

Yeah I mean, the thing about Hefney is that Burke is right, he IS our best SAM / nickel back / whatever.

But he's also our best HB. The team is better with Hefney at HB even if the SAM position is strongest when he's lined up there.

While I agree to an extent, he does have a point.. if you cut off your nose to spite your face your not really doing yourself any favours.. Hefney in the LB corps would have made our already poorly playing secondary that much worse.. I believe thats why he was complaining about the move.. 

unless it was solely personally motivated (trying to pad DB stats to get NFL look or whatever) in which I agree, no place for that the team.. 

I don't believe it would have made the secondary worse. We had guys who could have played that position. Hefney was just so much better at SAM than anyone else on the roster it would have made the entire defense stronger, forgot one position vs. the other. He played SAM in some of the defenses best games in 2011 for crying out loud.