Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlue4ever

The MBB All-time Blue Bomber team: Kick and Punt Returner nominees

Recommended Posts

Paul Robson won 1 Grey Cup as a GM. To this day, I have no idea why he left the Bombers to go to the Ottawa Rough Riders in 1987. When he was fired after the 1988 season, it finished his career as a CFL exec.  Cal Murphy won 2 Grey Cups & lost 2 as Blue Bomber GM. Although in 1992 he was lying flat on his back in hospital in London, Ontario recovering from a heart transplant.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The voting is closed for defensive tackle, and to no one's surprise Doug Brown is an all-timer, but very impressively, so is Stan Mikawos, with a clear-cut victory, over 3rd place, showing that steady excellence over a long period is valued as much as big flashy numbers. The defence is now set, and I have the coach and GM nominees up for voting this week. We will next consider the special teams, starting with the kicker and punter (where discussion has already commenced in other threads). Punter will be a short list (and even shorter voting argument, I'm sure) with Cameron and Ryan in just so we don't have an acclimation. Kicker has a couple of obvious choices in Kennerd and Westwood, but I'm prepared to add Medlock given his accuracy percentage. Any others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The voting is closed for defensive tackle, and to no one's surprise Doug Brown is an all-timer, but very impressively, so is Stan Mikawos, with a clear-cut victory, over 3rd place, showing that steady excellence over a long period is valued as much as big flashy numbers. The defence is now set, and I have the coach and GM nominees up for voting this week. We will next consider the special teams, starting with the kicker and punter (where discussion has already commenced in other threads). Punter will be a short list (and even shorter voting argument, I'm sure) with Cameron and Ryan in just so we don't have an acclimation. Kicker has a couple of obvious choices in Kennerd and Westwood, but I'm prepared to add Medlock given his accuracy percentage. Any others?

Walt McKee, Bernie Ruoff & Don Jonas. Check out his kicking stats in 1971.  I think he led the league in passing & scoring that year. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Added.

Jonas was the last of the straight head kickers for the Bombers.  Walt McKee was the first "soccer style' kicker the Bombers had. He took over the PK job from Jonas in 1972. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looking at the defence overall, what a formidable bunch! Screams aggressiveness and athleticism. Any quibbles from anyone? In my one alternative universe, I would move West to inside linebacker in place of Barrin Simpson (who would be brilliant as a spell-off coming in on second down passing plays) and keep Tony Norman as a back-up, and promote Elfrid Payton to starter. That way he could switch from outside back to rush end at will, and we could employ a 4-3 or 3-4 whenever it suited us. And I still want to find a way to get Rowland and Casey on the team, but Hefney does offer the added benefit of both punt returns and punt coverage, so I’m content with his selection. Well done all, and great discussion so far about all positions!

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For punter, I would include

Jack Jacobs, Charlie Shepard, Ed Ulmer, Bernie Ruoff, Bob Cameron - possibly add Russ Rebholz, Jack Delveaux, Walt McKee, Jon Ryan, Mike Renaud, Justin Medlock

For kicker, I would include

Gerry James, Don Jonas, Bernie Ruoff, Trevor Kennerd, Troy Westwood, Justin Palardy, Justin Medlock - possibly add Greg Kabat, Bud Korchak, Alexis Serna

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM, Stats Junkie said:

For punter, I would include

Jack Jacobs, Charlie Shepard, Ed Ulmer, Bernie Ruoff, Bob Cameron - possibly add Russ Rebholz, Jack Delveaux, Walt McKee, Jon Ryan, Mike Renaud, Justin Medlock

For kicker, I would include

Gerry James, Don Jonas, Bernie Ruoff, Trevor Kennerd, Troy Westwood, Justin Palardy, Justin Medlock - possibly add Greg Kabat, Bud Korchak, Alexis Serna

 

I will work on the bios today and have the lists out. Not sure about Serna, but I will add him, but then Hajrullahu could be added too (best all-time single season field goal percentage in club history, st least before Medlock) 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I will work on the bios today and have the lists out. Not sure about Serbs, but I will add him, but then Hajrullahu could be added too (best all-time single season field goal percentage in club history, st least before Medlock) 

Oops! I had a feeling that I was missing a name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎03 at 8:36 AM, Stats Junkie said:

Oops! I had a feeling that I was missing a name.

Hajrullahu could have his own separate stat. Worst game ever by a FG kicker & punter in the history of pro football anywhere. Then the guy hid from the media. He should have been told to take his lumps. Own it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, if not noticed, Bud Grant was the all-time coach choice, and Cal Murphy the all-time GM choice, and the punting voting is in, and to no one's surprise, Bob Cameron is the viewer's choice award winner, easily outpacing Jon Ryan who at least got 3 votes. everyone else was shut out.

On to the kickers, which I am posting now with their bios. Voting will run until Sunday night.

And it is time to consider the return game. I will list both punt and kick returners here, so please forward nominees for both categories. Off the top of my head:

For punt returners - Jovon Johnson, Paul Bennett, Gord Rowland, Ron Latourelle, Kevin Fogg, Henry Janzen, Troy Stoudemire

For kick returners - Leo Lewis, Dave Raimey, Tom Scott, Demond Washington, Ryan Lankford, Paul Williams, Mack Herron, and since he holds 2 club records I feel obliged to throw out the name Quincey McDuffie (the T.J. Heath of this group)

Dual threat (and also missed FG returner) - Charles Roberts, Keith Stokes, Eric Blount, Albert Johnson III, Maurice Leggett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2019‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 4:09 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

OK, if not noticed, Bud Grant was the all-time coach choice, and Cal Murphy the all-time GM choice, and the punting voting is in, and to no one's surprise, Bob Cameron is the viewer's choice award winner, easily outpacing Jon Ryan who at least got 3 votes. everyone else was shut out.

On to the kickers, which I am posting now with their bios. Voting will run until Sunday night.

And it is time to consider the return game. I will list both punt and kick returners here, so please forward nominees for both categories. Off the top of my head:

For punt returners - Jovon Johnson, Paul Bennett, Gord Rowland, Ron Latourelle, Kevin Fogg, Henry Janzen, Troy Stoudemire

For kick returners - Leo Lewis, Dave Raimey, Tom Scott, Demond Washington, Ryan Lankford, Paul Williams, Mack Herron, and since he holds 2 club records I feel obliged to throw out the name Quincey McDuffie (the T.J. Heath of this group)

Dual threat (and also missed FG returner) - Charles Roberts, Keith Stokes, Eric Blount, Albert Johnson III, Maurice Leggett

Paul Williams & Doug Strong as well. Strong was a sure handed punt returner in the days when there was no blocking on punt returns & the poor bastards would get snowed under. There was a reason punt returns back in the day were called the Suicide Squad. Williams was a pretty good kick returner. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I've ever seen a Bomber who could ignite a rally like Jovon Johnson.

Anything good that happened between 2008ish-2012ish, he was usually the guy sparking it.

Edited by johnzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Fritz Hanson as punt returner. His punt returns reputedly won us the 1935 Grey Cup. Over 300 yards in punt returns (including one for the game winning touchdown) with no blocking.

Yes. Thank you. Will also add James Jefferson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×