RedBlacks @ Riders

SpeedFlex27

53 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Exactly.  So why add insult to injury and give BC a free pick?

I remember this argument... it was the 'why even try' years...

There was no 'secret deal' - Hervey was aggressive and was likely the one who offered picks...

Then Sleepy Joe just sold it to the fanbase that 'we had no chance'...

A first round pick - contingent on Reilly signing - would have closed that deal

But as if we could have given up Andy Mulumba for Mike Reilly.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Why?  Perfectly fine for a team to give permission to negotiate with one of their pending free agents to another team for trade purposes.  Also fine for teams to give player and agent permission to negotiate with other teams to facilitate a trade.

The Lions committed to Lulay. They knew Reilly wouldn't sign in BC. They wanted to acquire some assets before he became a FA a few days later. So, trading Reilly to Edmonton was just part of the understanding that both sides came to. No way Edmonton trades for Reilly if they didn't think they could sign him. BC did this while Reilly was under contract to them so there was no reason for the league to overturn an above the board trade which it was. Wally gave BC permission for Reilly's agent to talk to the Eskimos. Again, all above board as both sides wanted this deal to go through. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Lions committed to Lulay. They knew Reilly wouldn't sign in BC. They wanted to acquire some assets before he became a FA a few days later. So, trading Reilly to Edmonton was just part of the understanding that both sides came to. No way Edmonton trades for Reilly if they didn't think they could sign him. BC did this while Reilly was under contract to them so there was no reason for the league to overturn an above the board trade which it was. Wally gave BC permission for Reilly's agent to talk to the Eskimos. Again, all above board as both sides wanted this deal to go through. 

Joe Mack could have absolutely made it a bidding war or moved in and signed Reilly.  There was no 'done deal' - Reilly would have been coming to Winnipeg as a starter while he was going to Edm to back up Nichols...

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Joe Mack could have absolutely made it a bidding war or moved in and signed Reilly.  There was no 'done deal' - Reilly would have been coming to Winnipeg as a starter while he was going to Edm to back up Nichols...

Seems I remembered the Lions didn't want to deal with Mack probably because other than a draft pick we had nothing they wanted. I seem to remember that the Esks had an opportunity to talk contract in the days before free agency. 

51 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ding ding ding, a 1st round pick would have done it and maybe swap some picks in later rounds too. A small price to have had to pay for the league MOP.

Reilly going to Edmonton wasn't a done deal, Reilly not getting to free agency was. 

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Ding ding ding, a 1st round pick would have done it and maybe swap some picks in later rounds too. A small price to have had to pay for the league MOP.

Reilly going to Edmonton wasn't a done deal, Reilly not getting to free agency was. 

In hindsight.  At that point he had thrown fewer passes than Streveler has to date.

53 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In hindsight.  At that point he had thrown fewer passes than Streveler has to date.

We were a desperate team heading into the season with Max Hall and Justin Goltz...

Consensus was that Mike Reilly has the 'it factor'

Maybe Adams and Franklin are misses but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be going hard after the BPA

5 hours ago, Ripper said:

No rider fans are trying to say he is a elite qb. No one is making excuses for how he is playing. He isn't crying about getting boo'd. Look in the mirror if you want to see delusional fans making excuses for a overpaid qb

Who the **** is making excuses for Nichols at this point? He's been **** this 

Year. 

Riders suck.

12 hours ago, Ripper said:

You have no qb. simple.  Riders have trouble with a passer. They wouldn't go after Harris for fear of Powell, and Powell was hurting us too. Perfect storm.  Nichols scares no one, shut Harris down and wait for the Picks to come.   Riders mistake was not blitzing, we should have went after Harris guns blazing and we didn't

I begrudgingly admit you were right about Ham n' Egger.

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Oh I would take any of those QBs. I personally don't think Reilly and BLM will switch teams. Harris I could see and he would be a nice addition.

Running Lapo's offence? LOL!

On 2018-09-16 at 12:09 PM, NorthernSkunk said:

What is funny dragon ?  You are more interested in matts next 70 games ?

That people think that Streveler’s few starts and limited play is a sign that he is ready to start. It looks like he has potential but his stats show he isn’t quite ready yet. I truly believe that throwing him out there now to try and salvage the season would be a mistake. You already know that if they did start him he will be playing with a playbook that is not designed to his skill set and he will be forcing the ball the same way Matt is now. Right now I honestly feel the coaching is insufficient right now and not specifically the players. Buck hasn’t been able to try and get the QBs to relax and not take the onus of winning all on their shoulders and Lapo, O’Shea, etc are not able to adjust at the half or on the fly to the other team’s play. If the second half of the last game isn’t proof then I don’t know what is. This team has more deficiencies that just The starting QB. Receivers dropping balls, bad defensive penalties, breakdowns on special teams, etc. Dropping Streveler into a broken team that isn’t changing isn’t going to be the proper way to develop him. At this point asking and expecting him to carry the team to the gold is a mistake. If he doesn’t produce the W real quick then the fans will turn on him as they have on every QB we have had since Khari.

2 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

the fans will turn on him as they have on every QB we have had since Khari.

I think we gotta go further back than that, cause they turned on Khari too, they turned on Bell, they turned on everyone who played before Bell showed up. That's the way Bomber fans are. Fickle bunch with not patience for anything.

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think we gotta go further back than that, cause they turned on Khari too, they turned on Bell, they turned on everyone who played before Bell showed up. That's the way Bomber fans are. Fickle bunch with not patience for anything.

True. That’s why I would only rotate him in. Of course that won’t happen.