Around The NHL 2018/2019

I agree that Little has been very good this year and the fact the Jets's main target was Stone indicates they were comfortable with Little.  With Stone out of the running, Hayes becomes a great Plan B.  He can play wing too so maybe Little stays at 2C.  Though I doubt it because Hayes is better than Little but I dont think a center was as needed as last season.  

I think what Hayes does is what the Jets wanted...big body, drives the play, solid D.  Whereas last year it was probably more singularly offensive.

If they re-sign Hayes it could make Little expendable. But Little can also play wing.  

We certainly got better down the middle today and perhaps more importantly, the center depth is very strong now, the PP is stronger, team D is stronger.  

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Wow I'm not a fan of the Hayes trade...  Lemieux is an RFA locked down for years - don't like it at all

Jake Muzzin was the guy that Jets needed

Yes, Muzzin would have been very good.  Didnt get him.  Lemiuex is cost-certainty for years.  But the Jets have other players like that.  If (big if) Hayes signs with Jets, then this deal was an absolute no-brainer.  If they make it to Cup final and hayes leaves, it's still an easy trade to make.  

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Either sign him or trade him. Guys like Stamkos who sign with the same team as a UFA are rare.

This happens every year.  You dont trade valuable pieces when you're a contender just because they're UFA's.  if Myers played for someone else and the Jets traded for him as a rental, we'd all think it was a great move.  if they lose him for nothing in the off-season, its like losing a rental that cost nothing.

The plan today is to make the team better, not worse.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

People are freaking out over losing a 4th liner today. 

Haven't seen many people freaking out, but Lemieux was a likable player.  Gritty, tough, young with potential.  You got to give up, to get, so I'm fine with the trade.  Dreger says other teams were calling NYR, about Lemieux, right after the trade was announced.

Just now, BomberBall said:

Haven't seen many people freaking out, but Lemieux was a likable player.  Gritty, tough, young with potential.  You got to give up, to get, so I'm fine with the trade.  Dreger says other teams were calling NYR, about Lemieux, right after the trade was announced.

Freaking out may be a bit harsh but a lot of people lamenting losing him. Again, we fall in love with these 3rd and 4th liners.

The Gritty that matters: 

200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c7422403968476d51

31 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Lemieux was hated not long ago by people. Im hearing attitude with him was a problem. But yeah.. He is riding a crazy high shooting percentage.