Two Riders Charged With Assault

voodoochylde

REGINA - Two members of the Saskatchewan Roughriders football team have been charged with aggravated assault following a fight at a nightclub.

Regina police say the two men were arrested Wednesday after a 20-year-old man was sent to hospital Aug. 18 suffering serious injuries.

Defensive back Dwight Anderson and wide receiver Taj Smith each face one charge of aggravated assault.

They were to appear in provincial court Thursday morning.

The Roughrider organization says it has been informed of the charges but declined further comment

Link here

Dwight Anderson needs to go to the Mike Kelly school of Anger Management.  That clown has cost the Roughriders a lot of yardage this year when he has blown his top at the officials, and now this nonsense.  The Riders can afford to lose Anderson, but the Taj Smith is a tough one, that kid is just plain amazing.

In fairness to Smith/DA, I've heard from a number of people I'd trust about stuff like this that it's not as bad as it seems.

Without starting too much of a rumor, I heard a number of Riders (more than just Smith and Anderson) were attacked by a group of gang members (including one guy with a bat) outside a club and there was a huge brawl which the Rider players essentially "won" and this one "victim" took a pretty serious beating.

In fairness to Smith/DA, I've heard from a number of people I'd trust about stuff like this that it's not as bad as it seems.

Without starting too much of a rumor, I heard a number of Riders (more than just Smith and Anderson) were attacked by a group of gang members (including one guy with a bat) outside a club and there was a huge brawl which the Rider players essentially "won" and this one "victim" took a pretty serious beating.

Gang members attacking the Rough Riders in Saskatchewan?  This gang doesn't want to live very long does it?  Seriously, how stupid is that.  This reminds me of the time that Graeme Bell took a bat over the head outside a bar in Saskatoon.  What the hell is wrong with the people of Sask?  Aside from being mouth-breathing inbreds of course?

And what kind of "gang" operates in Saskatchewan?  Do they drive around on tractors instead of motorbikes?  Are they called the "Sons of Cousins"?

Gang members attacking the Rough Riders in Saskatchewan?  This gang doesn't want to live very long does it?  Seriously, how stupid is that.  This reminds me of the time that Graeme Bell took a bat over the head outside a bar in Saskatoon.  What the hell is wrong with the people of Sask?  Aside from being cousin-raping inbreds of course?

This is going to sound weird in Saskatchewan (imo, anyways) but it was a group of Somalians.

Gonna be interesting to see how the Riders handle this. I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut ties with Dwight Anderson, but Taj Smith is the Riders leading receiver right now. Maybe they had some pent up rage after seeing their QB get whooped in the banjo bowl?

Well if they could see into the future maybe. But this incident happened mid August.

Gang members attacking the Rough Riders in Saskatchewan?  This gang doesn't want to live very long does it?  Seriously, how stupid is that.  This reminds me of the time that Graeme Bell took a bat over the head outside a bar in Saskatoon.  What the hell is wrong with the people of Sask?  Aside from being cousin-raping inbreds of course?

This is going to sound weird in Saskatchewan (imo, anyways) but it was a group of Somalians.

Makes sense.

Really wish the CFL could step in and impose suspensions .. stuff like this reflects poorly on the league.

I think you have to let the court stuff settle before the league does anything. People are presumed innocent.

Although that didn't help Aaron Hernandez. But the evidence in his murder charge is a little different then a brawl after the bar.

Makes sense.

More likely Canadians of Somali descent.   Anyway, the Somali-Canadian community is having a tough time of it these days. Even though they are born in Canada to Somali immigrants they're still having a hard time assimilating, so they're resorting to the drug trade.  It's a tough issue.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/why-so-many-somali-canadians-who-go-west-end-up-dead/article4365992/?page=all

Wasn't Arland Bruce and another Bomber RB (can't recall who) involved in a fight in a club in Winnipeg in 2002 (2001?) or somewhere around that? Can't quite recall the details but the Bombers allowed him to continue playing while the investigation went on IIRC and he ended up having a great year for us along with Milt and Khari. 

So does the code of conduct which got Tillman canned apply here?

Probably not exactly.  Tillman was an employee, these are players.  So the rules here would be governed by the CBA.  Don't know what that is.

Now, no contract is guarentted in the CFL anyway, but being past Labour Day, Anderson has been around long enough that his salary is guaranteed.  Don't know if there is a clause in the CBA for a "justified" release, or they would be on the hook for the salary.

The Crown waited 3 weeks and laid aggravated assault charges, so they believe the assault was committed with intent to severely injure or it was committed with a weapon.  They were able to identify 2 out of a brawl.  This won't be going away quickly. 

I honestly don't understand why Anderson is on that team just based on what he does on the field.  He's getting picked on like crazy, I know the Rider fans think he's a big time playmaker, but that's gonna happen when you get targeted 12 times a game, plus he's just about the biggest assclown around, he doesn't intimidate anyone and embarrasses himself and his team by wasting his energy screaming at referees.  This incident is just another example of a guy who can't keep his emotions in check.

Wasn't Arland Bruce and another Bomber RB (can't recall who) involved in a fight in a club in Winnipeg in 2002 (2001?) or somewhere around that? Can't quite recall the details but the Bombers allowed him to continue playing while the investigation went on IIRC and he ended up having a great year for us along with Milt and Khari. 

Troy Mills.  Bruce didn't do anything, just got his ass kicked.

Really wish the CFL could step in and impose suspensions .. stuff like this reflects poorly on the league.

I think you have to let the court stuff settle before the league does anything. People are presumed innocent.

Although that didn't help Aaron Hernandez. But the evidence in his murder charge is a little different then a brawl after the bar.

Not suggesting the ban hammer come down right away (have to let due process take place) but guys, found guilty, need to be dealt with.  Not saying these two are in this case .. was simply making a more global statement (should have probably been more clear .. it's what happens when you post quickly and run to a meeting).

Troy Mills.  Bruce didn't do anything, just got his ass kicked.

Right, thanks

Not suggesting the ban hammer come down right away (have to let due process take place) but guys, found guilty, need to be dealt with. Not saying these two are in this case .. was simply making a more global statement (should have probably been more clear .. it's what happens when you post quickly and run to a meeting).

Agreed. If they are found guilty, depending on the charge, customs / immigration may make the decision for them.

Defending yourself from an armed gang doesnt usually lead to aggravated assault charges.  Seems fishy to me.  One might presume the cops submitted the case for crown opinion.  Crown often has a "charge everyone and sort out the BS later" mentality unfortunately so who knows.

In my years of working nightclubs, we never had any issues with any Bombers (or Jets).  Bison Football on the other hand....there was a very arrogant and violent period for that team.