2017 Team Awards

Rich

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You say win/loss is irrelevant (It's not, cuz no one is giving COTY to a guy whose team is under .500) and JCON asks how MOS can be tied for 2nd in wins yet not in the top 3 (Cuz Trestman took the worst team in the league to the best in the East).  Ain't no way for me to win around here.

JCON... I don't agree with your 'beating specific teams' as a COTY stat.

MOS turned the team around in 3 or 4 years, but that's not as impressive as Trestman doing it in one, or Jones doing it in two.

Dickenson won less games this year than last, but he still ended up with the most wins overall. Both COTY candidates have the top teams in their division.

MOS got us tied for second in wins as did Mass, but Mass did it with a revolving door of players, which is more impressive.

So, the record matters when you say it does. Gotcha.

MOS had the second best record in the league and beat the Maas twice. He's ahead of him.

And, although I think Trestman deserves lots of credit, he won the East. Whoop-dee-doo. Still the fifth best team in the league.

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, the record matters when you say it does. Gotcha.

MOS had the second best record in the league and beat the Maas twice. He's ahead of him.

And, although I think Trestman deserves lots of credit, he won the East. Whoop-dee-doo. Still the fifth best team in the league.

We'll see about that.

The funny thing about this season...

Wpg vs Toronto -- Medlock makes one of two missed FG's

Wpg vs BC --- we don't lose that game in BC giving up the lead in the last minute...

And we would be in first place in the west and not even having this conversation about coaches. 

Little things make the difference. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

MOS got us tied for second in wins as did Mass, but Mass did it with a revolving door of players, which is more impressive.

And Maas did it with Reilly Bowman Zylstra Williams Walker Mitchell Hazelton & Watson.  blah blah blah....Lankford...blah blah blah

The predictability of Tburging is really amusing to me.  Why it still riles up the masses, I don't know.  I get a chuckle out of it.

What will be the reasons Tburg gives to totally downplay anything positive from the Bombers?  It takes a remarkable amount of both creativity and stubbornness to pull it off.  Stubbornivity?

It's like talking with an accountant about the balance sheet, and he will only acknowledge the existence of liabilities.  Good times.

4 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

Umm, Wally?? But to be fair, you may have left him out because he's not even near this conversation for COY.

Yes exactly. I hadn't forgotten about old Wally. His record speaks for itself. 

On 11/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, Noeller said:

Overlooked in all this: Dave Dickenson gets the West Div COTY nom over MOS.................discuss.

That's actually the first thing I noticed when I saw the announcements... Now I think Trestman will win and he deserves it... taking a team from tire fire to 9-9 and a playoff spot is impressive (I'm ignoring the fact that he won the east b/c that's not much of a feat these days)...

But for the west nominee... I would have Maas, O'Shea, and (*shudder*) Jones ahead of Dickenson for coaching performances this year... hate to admit it but going from 5 wins to 10 and a playoff spot should have been good for the nomination IMO...  I won't admit which coach I'm talking about...

10 hours ago, mbrg said:

And Maas did it with Reilly Bowman Zylstra Williams Walker Mitchell Hazelton & Watson.  blah blah blah....Lankford...blah blah blah

The predictability of Tburging is really amusing to me.  Why it still riles up the masses, I don't know.  I get a chuckle out of it.

What will be the reasons Tburg gives to totally downplay anything positive from the Bombers?  It takes a remarkable amount of both creativity and stubbornness to pull it off.  Stubbornivity?

It's like talking with an accountant about the balance sheet, and he will only acknowledge the existence of liabilities.  Good times.

Nice try, Mass did it with up to 21 players down. MOS starting losing when we had 3 starters down. You want to go simply by wins? OK, then it's Dickenson.

I don't downplay everything positive, I just don't see how anyone but a homer would choose MOS for COTY when there are better choices.

I do wonder tho.... Why my opinion riles up 3 or 4 people around here so much. :D

9 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Nice try, Mass did it with up to 21 players down. MOS starting losing when we had 3 starters down. You want to go simply by wins? OK, then it's Dickenson.

I don't downplay everything positive, I just don't see how anyone but a homer would choose MOS for COTY when there are better choices.

I do wonder tho.... Why my opinion riles up 3 or 4 people around here so much. :D

Let me try it out (puts on a TBurg beanie and gives the propeller a spin)

When you think about it, Montreal managed to win 3 games despite having Kavis Reed as their GM, which is a huge accomplishment, so I'd have Kavis Reed ahead of OShea...

Yep, pure gold.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

Let me try it out (puts on a TBurg beanie and gives the propeller a spin)

When you think about it, Montreal managed to win 3 games despite having Kavis Reed as their GM, which is a huge accomplishment, so I'd have Kavis Reed ahead of OShea...

Yep, pure gold.

This could be fun, let me try it out:

MBRG, huffing some blue koolaid.. TBurgess makes some good points better make up something he didn't say then make fun of it, then I'll call it pure gold. :lol:

13 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What, exactly, did Maas do to earn COTY? What stroke of coaching genius did he perform? Looks to me like all he did was plug in the next guy up and thanks to a good stable of players and a favourable schedule they managed to keep winning, until they met us, a team coached by ... MOS.

MOS is still learning his craft and is the most improved coach in the league. You can see that the game has slowed down for him and he no longer gets caught up in the moment with the deer-in-the-headlights thing. His one, glaring weakness is roster management, IMO.