Bombers @ Argos: Dressler Return? + Lapo Must Call Deep Balls To Non-Lankfords Edition

USABomberfan

14 hours ago, J5V said:

For me, we'd have to be 3rd and a mile before I'd ask my FG kicker to attempt a 61 yarder no matter how good he told me he was feeling. 3rd and anything reasonable, say 20 yards and under, and I'm audibling and throwing a pass, screen, etc. If it's 3rd and 5 and my offense can't get 5, that's beyond putrid. But that's me.

Seem to be an awful lot of putrid offences in the CFL then.   One thing you might want to factor in is the fact that the offence is playing against a defense comprised of pro level players who are proably of the opinion that if they were to give up 5 yards on a 3rd and 5 their defense would be putrid, so ya, it is you.

14 hours ago, J5V said:

For me, we'd have to be 3rd and a mile before I'd ask my FG kicker to attempt a 61 yarder no matter how good he told me he was feeling. 3rd and anything reasonable, say 20 yards and under, and I'm audibling and throwing a pass, screen, etc. If it's 3rd and 5 and my offense can't get 5, that's beyond putrid. But that's me.

ya, 5 yards is such a gimme.. this is why people rarely ever punt on 3rd and 2, 3, 4 or 5 yards..

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

I laughed but...

Teams regularly go for it on 3rd down, late in a game, when trailing. Doesn't matter the distance. 5 yards is no gimme though.

Yep. It comes down to variables. Let's say Hardrick and Chungh have been blowing up the right side all night - then you just might consider going for it on 3rd down if need be. 

Re: Murray's brutal play on Dressler:

CFL.CA STAFF

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced on Thursday that Toronto Argonauts linebacker Rico Murray was fined for a dangerous tackle on Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Weston Dressler.

The league also announced that Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive tackle Cory Johnson was fined for a high hit on Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Re: Murray's brutal play on Dressler:

CFL.CA STAFF

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced on Thursday that Toronto Argonauts linebacker Rico Murray was fined for a dangerous tackle on Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Weston Dressler.

The league also announced that Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive tackle Cory Johnson was fined for a high hit on Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.

Pffffftt.  Classic CFL.

The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced on Thursday that Toronto Argonauts linebacker Rico Murray was fined for a dangerous tackle on Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Weston Dressler.

Everybody is slamming the CFL for not suspending Murray for that hit. The punishment does not fit that vicious act. The guy should have been ejected immediately after that attempt to injure. I mean, why else would you knowingly slam a defenceless person into the ground using his neck to break his fall?

A fine just isn’t good enough for that hit..

Edited by Mr Dee

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

ya, 5 yards is such a gimme.. this is why people rarely ever punt on 3rd and 2, 3, 4 or 5 yards..

I guess I got that impression watching the Toronto game. When Toronto gambled on third down they easily made 5 yards and more. I don't remember them NOT making at least 5 yards on third down and they gambled plenty. They may have been 100%

Edited by J5V

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

I guess I got that impression watching the Toronto game. When Toronto gambled on third down they easily made 5 yards and more. I don't remember them NOT making at least 5 yards on third down and they gambled plenty. They may have been 100%

I dare say when a coach like Trestman is doing it - he's clearly aware of liabilities in the opposing front 7. The guy is simply not known for gambling in normal circumstances. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Everybody is slamming the CFL for not suspending Murray for that hit. The punishment does not fit that vicious act. The guy should have been ejected immediately after that attempt to injure. I mean, why else would you knowingly slam a defenceless person into the ground using his neck to break his fall?

A fine just isn’t good enough for that hit..

For intent to injure type offences (because  we are trying to protect all players, not just QB's right?):

(I'm guessing the CFL already has a policy on this but this is what I'd suggest)

First offence, ejection, 1 game suspension and fine.

Second offence, ejection, 6 game suspension, fine, lose draft pick.

Third offence, ejection,  18 game suspension, huge fine, lose draft picks.

All penalties incurred carry over into next season if need be.

After the second offence, more than likely he doesn't play again in the league to make it to the third offence.

And I know there is some grey  in determining intent to injure but  that's where you get a group together to make that call.

In this particular case with Rico on Dressler, little doubt for me.

24 minutes ago, J5V said:

no, we stopped them on one of the 3.. (or was it 4) attempts. 

36 minutes ago, tracker said:

On one of the telecasts this year, it was mentioned that the completion rate for 2-point conversion this year in the CFL was about 50%, so going for it on 3rd and 5 shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

3 yards versus 5.  

agree to disagree i suppose.

1 hour ago, MC said:

Gambling on 3rd and 5 is not going to work very often.  There is a big difference between making 5 yards by breaking through the front on a 3rd and short and making 5 yards on 3rd and five. 

Correct. I'd still take those odds however than the odds on successfully kicking a 61 yard field goal. But that's just me.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not me... Not when my kicker is Justin Medlock last year. 

I've looked but couldn't find anything, especially for cfl kickers, but I somehow think that the rate of success for FGs attempted of over 60 yards is abysmal. 

I found this at an NFL site ... “Since 2010, there have been 43 attempts from 60+ yards and just 10 makes,” so that is, roughly, 1 of 4 attempts. 

Edited by J5V

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I've looked but couldn't find anything, especially for cfl kickers, but I somehow think that the rate of success for FGs attempted of over 60 yards is abysmal. 

I found this at an NFL site ... “Since 2010, there have been 43 attempts from 60+ yards and just 10 makes,” so that is, roughly, 1 of 4 attempts. 

That would the two percentages roughly identical - interesting 

5 hours ago, mfranc said:

If the Bombers aren't playing in the Grey Cup game his season I suspect somebody will have to fall on their sword.

Oh please, the Bombers management isn't so reactionary. They're not going to start firing people based on how they do in the playoffs. They are all about stability and the process. 

Fans want firings all the time, but that's fans being fans.