Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

I wonder what the price would be for him? I doubt the Jets made the shortlist but he would be a good add as a rental for the right price.

Yup, I would like him as a rental but I wouldnt sell out the future.   It would be interesting to know if he'd have the Jets on his NTC.  He has a big list, 18 teams.  But if he looks at the standings and its purely a rental situation, the Jets would be in every player's top ten contenders.  But you never know.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup, I would like him as a rental but I wouldnt sell out the future.   It would be interesting to know if he'd have the Jets on his NTC.  He has a big list, 18 teams.  But if he looks at the standings and its purely a rental situation, the Jets would be in every player's top ten contenders.  But you never know.

That's my thinking too.

Plus, it sounds like both sides would want him to return in the summer. He likes NYC and they like him.

Further to that point, the Big Show guys had a big discussion about what the Jets do in the future.  Bob MacKenzie was on and sort of put top pairing D-men in the $7+ million (and compared it to Subban's $9+ million as where it could go) and guessed Helle's ask at $6-$7 million though he said the Jets have leverage as he's RFA.

Jets have about $20 million in cap space next year with the following UFA:

Matthias, Hendricks, Toby, Hutch

And the following RFA's:

Lowry, Armia, Dano, Tanev, Trouba, Poolman, Morrissey, Helle

And they have to keep money for the next year for Wheeler & Lanie (Conner & Copp are also due contracts then).  They do gain an extra $20 million.

What the heck do they do?  Its going to be tight.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Further to that point, the Big Show guys had a big discussion about what the Jets do in the future.  Bob MacKenzie was on and sort of put top pairing D-men in the $7+ million (and compared it to Subban's $9+ million as where it could go) and guessed Helle's ask at $6-$7 million though he said the Jets have leverage as he's RFA.

And the following RFA's:

And they have to keep money for the next year for Wheeler & Lanie (Conner & Copp are also due contracts then).  They do gain an extra $20 million.

I think they really try to bridge Morrissey... not sure that's the right move but hey - so $3.5 mill for two years?

If Trouba signs long-term, the would equal his and Enstroms $$ this year - so no change, Niku replaces Enstrom

Poolman prob $1.5 million for two years?

Matthias money moves to Lowry's contract - he's probably signed at $4 million, long-term

Buy-out Mason... and sign Helle to $6 million, Hutch to $2 million?

38 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think they really try to bridge Morrissey... not sure that's the right move but hey - so $3.5 mill for two years?

If Trouba signs long-term, the would equal his and Enstroms $$ this year - so no change, Niku replaces Enstrom

Poolman prob $1.5 million for two years?

Matthias money moves to Lowry's contract - he's probably signed at $4 million, long-term

Buy-out Mason... and sign Helle to $6 million, Hutch to $2 million?

Hutch is gone. Not sure why he would stay or why the Jets would bring him back.

May not need to buyout Mason.  I think he may retire if he continues to feel the effects of the concussion. Otherwise, I don't the see the Jets buying him out. They brought him in hoping Helle would still develop. He just turned things around quicker than they hoped.

Poolman. I guess that depends how much he plays over the next few months but you're probably correct.

I think you have to bridge Morrissey, to get everything to fit.

Matthias money moves to Lowry but you still have to add a roster player and contract to replace Matthias.

I'm not sure Niku will be ready next year. Hope he is but it seems like they would want him to mature another year or two. If Niku replaces Enstrom, then he would be a lot cheaper and the dollars could be reassigned. But I doubt it.

Don't forget, the cap is going up a bunch next year. The UFAs and RFAs would know this though.

Edited by JCon

20 minutes ago, bustamente said:

As for Nash I have heard that he does not want to be traded to a Canadian team so we don't have to worry about getting him as a rental, Rangers gonna have a tough time trading him even with 50% retained if they are asking for the moon in return.

He just submitted his list today. I haven't heard anything about who is and who is not on the list. Have you?

Not sure why he would not just choose the top 12 teams in the league with the best chance to make the playoffs. It's only for a few months.

23 minutes ago, JCon said:

He just submitted his list today. I haven't heard anything about who is and who is not on the list. Have you?

Not sure why he would not just choose the top 12 teams in the league with the best chance to make the playoffs. It's only for a few months.

There was a story by Larry Brooks back in June/16  in the NY Post where the Rangers asked Nash for 12 teams he would accept a trade to , back then it was believed he would not accept a trade to a Canadian team and I would think nothing has changed, he has his reasons I guess.

Edited by bustamente

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And the following RFA's:

I would take a wait and see approach with Wheeler.  He's excellent right now but the NHL is a young man's game.  If he's still getting it done hopefully his contract at age 33 wouldn't go beyond 2 years.

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

I think a lot of this hinges on whether a deal is reached with Trouba or not...  then start worrying about cap room or trading someone

Trouba shouldn't eat away from that 20 million too much. He makes 2.5 now and I don't see him making much more than 5.5 on his next one.

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If the Jets want him for 7 or 8 years it will.  He's our #1 D.

Why? He doesn't put up points... Hes not Subban or Doughty... Hes more Lindholm or Slavin but Slavin puts up points... 5.5 to 6 million for 6 years is probably fair. 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why? He doesn't put up points... Hes not Subban or Doughty... Hes more Lindholm or Slavin but Slavin puts up points... 5.5 to 6 million for 6 years is probably fair. 

I figured $6 million.  If you listen to Bob Mackenzie he thinks its more than that.  But Bob speaks in generalities most often.  The bigger question is, does he want to be here.  That will be answered by the length of this contract.