Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

• 2 weeks later...

le burger week is approaching, or rather Le Burger Fortnight

https://accesswinnipeg.com/2021/08/photos-le-burger-week-winnipeg-2021-participants/?fbclid=IwAR3lviN1OT_tt7pUzq0hItxPzcaes6gsdnX0nIeHji-_sVJMq2njMZ7uz6c

how have I not known about this sooner? I need this on my end of town

https://chungchunricedog.ca/menu/

And Konz is now permanently closed at City Place. Another business hurt by the pandemic

Edited by iHeart

It could be anything because I know it won't be the Big Breakfasts return, because I spoke to a cashier from there awhile back she said it's unlikely it will return due to cooking capacity, and this was an issue long before COVID reared it's ugly head...and ultimately made the decision for them (and that's why we won't see the Morning McWrap back either, scrambled eggs take up space)

stay tuned later when I review a set of corn dogs from the Chun Chung Rice Dog, I'll review tomorrow

Edited by iHeart

Not sure if this is the right thread, but the wife and I are on our annual (sometimes twice annual) local brewery tour around Winnipeg today. We started at OGC for lunch and a beer, then Torque and Oxus. Then booted over to Sookrams and now sitting at Kilter. Winnipeg lags behind Cgy/Edm a bit in terms of breweries but the ones you do have are solid. 

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but the wife and I are on our annual (sometimes twice annual) local brewery tour around Winnipeg today. We started at OGC for lunch and a beer, then Torque and Oxus. Then booted over to Sookrams and now sitting at Kilter. Winnipeg lags behind Cgy/Edm a bit in terms of breweries but the ones you do have are solid. 

TransCanada is also solid (and has amazing pizza). Also love Barn Hammer and Stone Angel.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

TransCanada is also solid (and has amazing pizza). Also love Barn Hammer and Stone Angel.

Have done all 3 (Stone Angel is a GREAT pre-Bombers game spot) and feature some of my favourite beers. TCB's "Lamplighter Amber" and Barn Hammers "Grandpa's Old Wool Sweater" (Sp??) Oatmeal Stout are just fabulous beers. Stone Angel has several good ones and the owner is a gem.... Angry old Brit who's fired up over anti vaxxers.... 

On 2021-08-26 at 12:36 PM, iHeart said:

le burger week is approaching, or rather Le Burger Fortnight

https://accesswinnipeg.com/2021/08/photos-le-burger-week-winnipeg-2021-participants/?fbclid=IwAR3lviN1OT_tt7pUzq0hItxPzcaes6gsdnX0nIeHji-_sVJMq2njMZ7uz6c

how have I not known about this sooner? I need this on my end of town

https://chungchunricedog.ca/menu/

And Konz is now permanently closed at City Place. Another business hurt by the pandemic

To be fair to the pandemic, hardly anyone ate at Konz pre-pandemic...

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

It could be anything because I know it won't be the Big Breakfasts return, because I spoke to a cashier from there awhile back she said it's unlikely it will return due to cooking capacity, and this was an issue long before COVID reared it's ugly head...and ultimately made the decision for them (and that's why we won't see the Morning McWrap back either, scrambled eggs take up space)

stay tuned later when I review a set of corn dogs from the Chun Chung Rice Dog

Could it be fresh meat and real fries?   

The only things that they could bring back that people actually enjoyed was the Hockey Hero Sandwich and also the Big Xtra burger. 

50 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Have done all 3 (Stone Angel is a GREAT pre-Bombers game spot) and feature some of my favourite beers. TCB's "Lamplighter Amber" and Barn Hammers "Grandpa's Old Wool Sweater" (Sp??) Oatmeal Stout are just fabulous beers. Stone Angel has several good ones and the owner is a gem.... Angry old Brit who's fired up over anti vaxxers.... 

LOVE Stone Angel. The owner is a genuine character. I'll go far out of my way for Redhanded Irish Red Ale (thankfully it's right next to work, so I don't have to)

well if I do recommend anything from the Rice Dog place, they actually have a corn dog that's nothing but Mozzarella, it's literally a big ass mozza stick on a stick. They have one that literally has just chocolate in it (have they ever thought of doing something similar with Bananas? ) I meant to order the one with Rice Cake 

it needs a second location, and one on my end of town because this was a three hour trip for me that I had to take by bus, the bus I take goes past the school I work at so that would be an easy trip (except the bus just has to take a break.....which is a problem if they are late)

Edited by iHeart

well, they just confirmed it's not the McPizza, you guys have more access to Ted Lasso than I do so you probably know what they are talking about

look I actually have memories of having McPizza but I don't think I ever reacted to it being discontinued

Edited by iHeart

14 hours ago, iHeart said:

well, they just confirmed it's not the McPizza, you guys have more access to Ted Lasso than I do so you probably know what they are talking about

look I actually have memories of having McPizza but I don't think I ever reacted to it being discontinued

It tasted like bird droppings on cardboard. It was as popular as flatulence in an elevator.

On 2021-08-27 at 5:50 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Tommy's is awesome za! Their new spot on Corydon is fantastic as well, with TCB on tap. 

I'm loving the craft beer/brewpub scene in Winnipeg these days. Can't wait to hit up OGC again soon.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I am shocked that they pulled it off. This is great!

I was so suspicious and not optimistic when they started the refurb on this. Too bad I don't work downtown anymore or I would have been down there after it opened. 

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

I am shocked that they pulled it off. This is great!

I was so suspicious and not optimistic when they started the refurb on this. Too bad I don't work downtown anymore or I would have been down there after it opened. 

Took way to freaking long for this to happen. City sold it, some guys cannibalized the pumps, sold it back to the city at a higher price then someone added a butt ugly apartments on stilts on the east end.

Having said that, can't wait to visit. iHeart u buying?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 2021-08-29 at 6:13 PM, iHeart said:

it's the damn spicy nuggets