Restaurant/food thread

iHeart

11 minutes ago, iHeart said:

really not even their baked goods? (hey to be honest the ones at the Tim's Rehab Clinic, their chocolate dipped donuts are basically plain cake donuts dipped in chocolate)

Not for me.  Years ago they were good and used to bake everything in house.  Now everything is shipped to them and they just heat up the donuts.  They are very meh.  I wish Tim's would go away so we can get something better.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

really not even their baked goods? (hey to be honest the ones at the Tim's Rehab Clinic, their chocolate dipped donuts are basically plain cake donuts dipped in chocolate)

Tim Hortons has the absolute worst quality of baked goods.  

The doughnuts are so bad now it's hard to go back after tasting literally anywhere else.    Robins,  Safeway,  O Doughnuts,  Bronuts... anything else is much better. 

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The doughnuts are so bad now it's hard to go back after tasting literally anywhere else.    Robins,  Safeway,  O Doughnuts,  Bronuts... anything else is much better. 

what about 7-11? my safeway became a freshco

Edited by iHeart

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

After more than 40 years of serving veal scallopini and chicken parmigiana, an iconic Italian eatery on Portage Avenue has closed for good.

Sunday was supposed to be the last supper at Paradise Restaurant & Lounge but workers said the owners shut down after closing time Friday.

Oh, wow. I had a few lunches there. It was close to a building that I worked out of sometimes. 

Interesting story on the history of the Fat Boy in Winnipeg....

'They stole the recipe, which is good': How the Fat Boy burger became a Winnipeg icon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fat-boy-burger-winnipeg-icon-1.5344645

Junior's founder Gus Scouras says the basic recipe for the Fat Boy, if not the name, came from his restaurants

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Interesting story on the history of the Fat Boy in Winnipeg....

" Big Boy customers were known to casually call the restaurant's burger "the Fat Boy," and Scouras suspects Big Boy alumni who went on to other eateries wanted people to know the meaty marriage was on their menu — but didn't want to steal the Big Boy name.  "

And yet the Big Boy logo was clearly copy-right theft inspired by Big Boy Restaurants out of the USA.

In other food news...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mcdonald-s-hamburglar-app-account-hack-1.5345024

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

After more than 40 years of serving veal scallopini and chicken parmigiana, an iconic Italian eatery on Portage Avenue has closed for good.

Sunday was supposed to be the last supper at Paradise Restaurant & Lounge but workers said the owners shut down after closing time Friday.

the one in Seven Oaks is still functioning isn't it?

On 2019-10-31 at 1:41 PM, Logan007 said:

Not for me.  Years ago they were good and used to bake everything in house.  Now everything is shipped to them and they just heat up the donuts.  They are very meh.  I wish Tim's would go away so we can get something better.

I couldn’t possibly agree more, and awful coffee too.  McDonald’s is in the same price range and has much better coffee - it’s not even close. 

On 2019-10-31 at 3:21 PM, Brandon said:

Speaking of Robin's, has anyone noticed them getting extremely stingy with the glaze on their doughnuts over the past 6ish months? Used to enjoy a nice chocolate glaze or walnut crunch there on occasion, but lately it's like the glaze they used was extremely thin and all either ran off or soaked into the doughnut.Even had a 'honey' cruller that was more like eating a croissant (both due to lack of glaze and dryness).

Only been to the Cityplace location, so I can't speak for others... 

• 2 weeks later...

another restaurant another opening at Seasons

https://accesswinnipeg.com/2019/11/earl-of-sandwich-opening-restaurant-in-winnipeg/

This is their menu

https://earlofsandwichusa.com/menu/

Also my cousin got married yesterday and the sweets (cake and donuts....the cake was too small for everyone to share that's why they included Donuts.....also her husband is a mountie) were provided by Sweet Impressions a place I definitely recommend

Edited by iHeart

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I always heard Earl of Sandwich was great. Had it in Vegas and while it was good I didn’t think it was anything overly special.  It will probably do great here though. 

Considering people went cuckoo over Popeyes , IHOP and Jollibees and they are all absolute garbage... I can only imagine how busy it will be.

2 hours ago, The Zipp said:

Pickled herring....yah or nay??

i am firmly in the yaay catagory...enjoying some right now on a Vinta cracker..

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Please don't breathe within a hundred feet of anyone, please. Your poor family. 😉

Within unmentionable factions of my extended family, it is breakfast staple as well as a late night snack, straight out of the jar

Imagine a bedtime story with the kid beside you reeking of pickled herring

I digress.