Solving Our MLB Problem

BigBlue

5 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

If we are just using Hurl to fill gaps why not move Trent Corney to MLB? He could not be any slower than Hurl in pass protection, could he?

Why is a team with one of the greatest MLB's of all time utterly unable to solve that position after MOS's 3 year reign here?

Seriously?  Ya, moving  a fairly raw player from defensive line to linebacker at the pro level.  Can't see anything going wrong with an idea like that.  And if he doesn't work out, why don't we see if he can throw the ball?  We could always use a Canadian QB prospect.

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

If we are just using Hurl to fill gaps why not move Trent Corney to MLB? He could not be any slower than Hurl in pass protection, could he?

Why is a team with one of the greatest MLB's of all time utterly unable to solve that position after MOS's 3 year reign here?

Thought about that as well, he has the quickness/speed for sure but at his now 267 weight its not a position he could maintain very long. Bear woods oh wait. Idk what talent would look great at mlb in our system tbh.  It been mentioned a few other times in other threads and chats but we could get a cover saftey and have loffler take hurls roll. Have him play more of a mid field / rover position. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Thought about that as well, he has the quickness/speed for sure but at his now 267 weight its not a position he could maintain very long. Bear woods oh wait. Idk what talent would look great at mlb in our system tbh.  It been mentioned a few other times in other threads and chats but we could get a cover saftey and have loffler take hurls roll. Have him play more of a mid field / rover position. 

It amazes me that Loffler has stayed healthy as long as he has, if they had him in the box all the time that might not be the case.  I think once Wild comes back Hurl will be adequate as long as Leggett is on the other side.

Can't remember which game it was, but there was this one Nicholls pick this season with a long return and Dressler was absolutely a missile on that play, tracking the DB a long way down the field and taking him down before he could score.  So I think our MLB fix is already in house, let's move WD7 into the middle once he's off the six-game.

Plus, we've been trying to think of ways to get Dressler and Flanders onto the game roster together, maybe this would be an opportunity to do that.  To make the ratio work we can swap out Hardrick for Rempel.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It amazes me that Loffler has stayed healthy as long as he has, if they had him in the box all the time that might not be the case.  I think once Wild comes back Hurl will be adequate as long as Leggett is on the other side.

Hes a blood n guts type guy.  A real football player like him, not just an athlete  can often be more prone to injuries if you try to protect them. Wild, mo, and hurl is a lot better then what we have now. It wont fix systemic problems, but we arent going to fix those with a player either. Hurl and the MLB spot is one of the biggest i would like to see an upgrade at, but would also be maybe the hardest spot to upgrade by it self. Idk where we would start another NI to go IMP there. And a starting NI mlber thats an upgrade to hurl isnt some thing we can pull out of our butt.  Poop, and jeffcoat are way too good to not have as starters. 

25 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Can't remember which game it was, but there was this one Nicholls pick this season with a long return and Dressler was absolutely a missile on that play, tracking the DB a long way down the field and taking him down before he could score.  So I think our MLB fix is already in house, let's move WD7 into the middle once he's off the six-game.

Plus, we've been trying to think of ways to get Dressler and Flanders onto the game roster together, maybe this would be an opportunity to do that.  To make the ratio work we can swap out Hardrick for Rempel.

:lol: Hey we should have addison richards back him up / rotate too! 

Chungh, Goossen, Harris, Feoli-Gudino

Loffler, Westerman, Thomas

One of the American DL can rotate in as a DI. Use Hurl in some situations so you can rotate Thomas with an American. Start grooming a Canadian to play field corner in case injuries happen to any of the above. 

Keep the status quo: Mike Reilly is licking his chops...

22 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Chungh, Goossen, Harris, Feoli-Gudino

Loffler, Westerman, Thomas

One of the American DL can rotate in as a DI. Use Hurl in some situations so you can rotate Thomas with an American. Start grooming a Canadian to play field corner in case injuries happen to any of the above. 

Keep the status quo: Mike Reilly is licking his chops...

both imp DTs are too good to be moved down to rotational in place of thomas. The current rotation with thomas coming in and giving us the ability to go extra imp db is the best case scenario. We dont create squat for pressure with our blitz packages, we cant down grade the only source we have of pressure. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

both imp DTs are too good to be moved down to rotational in place of thomas. The current rotation with thomas coming in and giving us the ability to go extra imp db is the best case scenario. We dont create squat for pressure with our blitz packages, we cant down grade the only source we have of pressure. 

That blitz should improve when Wild comes back, as it would with a legitimate MLB. 

I understand the rationale, but I think too much pass coverage and run stopping is being sacrificed as it stands.

I know Hurl has been a bit of a whipping boy, but I thought he's filled in quite well in Wild's absence. Obviously Wild is better, but it's football, players get hurt. I think the idea of moving Corney doesn't show the MLB position much respect - it isn't as simple as just changing where you line up on the snaps, it's an entirely different position to play with different responsibilities.

8 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I know Hurl has been a bit of a whipping boy, but I thought he's filled in quite well in Wild's absence. Obviously Wild is better, but it's football, players get hurt. I think the idea of moving Corney doesn't show the MLB position much respect - it isn't as simple as just changing where you line up on the snaps, it's an entirely different position to play with different responsibilities.

Hurl is not filling in for Wild.......Knox is.

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

That blitz should improve when Wild comes back, as it would with a legitimate MLB. 

I understand the rationale, but I think too much pass coverage and run stopping is being sacrificed as it stands.

Wild doesnt play mlb or fill the blitz well. Hes not really that guy. Which is too bad. We could really use a LT like stand up pass rusher, who can scrape to the ball and drop back now and then. 

I agree. I just dont see a better spot to sacrifice at atm. If one of our wrs doesnt pick it up quickly, or dressler stays out maybe drew woli draws in as a 2nd starting NI wr as mentioned in another thread.  I worry that with our system short of finding that perfect guy or adapting our system to some one (like bear woods) should another similar quality MLB come available we will see the same problems with different faces. 

12 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Bass was MLB last season with Wild at wlb.  Burnett went in for Wild after he got hurt.

This. Remember how everyone couldn't figure out why KBs tackle numbers went way down from his first year (outside LB) to his second year (Middle)... Change in position changed everything.