CFL Draft

Floyd

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Interesting draft this year...

After NFL interest is known, first three OL off the board could really be Bladek, Spooner, Schram

Can see Woods dropping maybe to 8-9th

Don't forget Jean Simon-Roy, I believe he will be very high on many teams' draft boards.

Edited by Atomic
Improperly placed hyphen

Another piece that I found interesting: Vandervoort to HAM (4)

Maybe so, but Vandervoort was recruited from Bear Creek Secondary in Barrie, Ont. to Hamilton by then Marauders head coach, now Ticats offensive coordinator Stefan Ptaszek.

Ptaszek taught Danny how to turn speed into route running and jump balls into an art form. I have a hard time believing the two are not meant to work together in a professional football setting with Fantuz in Vandervoort’s ear for every meeting – once re-signing – while rehabilitating his knee.

There's just no way Hamilton doesn't pick Vandervoort.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Don't forget Jean Simon-Roy, I believe he will be very high on many teams' draft boards.

So everyone potentially in the mix for first round (excluding the top NFL prospects)...?

OL - Bladek, Spooner, Schram, Woods, Roy

DL - Ekakitie, Luke, Boateng, McGough

DB - Woodson, Wright

REC - Vandevoort, Behar

LB - Mulumba, Herdman

FB - Gosselin

RB - Augustine

The CFL draft just got a little more interesting with the retirement of OLman Mathieu Girard, 25, from the Ticats. The Ticats recently released Dyakowski on Feb 16 and now are short 2 OLmen. That definitely might affect who they choose when their name is called in the CFL draft. Now, rec, Vandevoort is not a sure thing any more as the Ticats may have to look at an O-Line guy with their 1st pick.  

This could change a few team's draft boards right off the hop..

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/05/ticats-offensive-lineman-mathieu-girard-retires-25/

Edited by Mr Dee

I'm afraid we may not have a first round pick this year. Some guy at Riderfans apparently has some information from the CFLPA that suggests we are 800k over the salary cap last year. We will lose all our first round picks and have to pay a multi million dollar fine. LMAO...the **** these guys come up with.

The more I think about it the more I feel that Gray is the pick. Bombers is not on pressure to start 3 NAT OL this year. They can let Gray go and develop a little bit in the NFL and hope he be back here in a year or two.

A WR (Behar) or a DL would make themore sense in #6.

4 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The more I think about it the more I feel that Gray is the pick. Bombers is not on pressure to start 3 NAT OL this year. They can let Gray go and develop a little bit in the NFL and hope he be back here in a year or two.

It's going to be a real test of Walters (and staff) to appropriately evaluate Gray's chances in the NFL. And that, I'm guessing, is a bit like rolling the dice.

I agree on some accounts, that this is a 'freebie' pick for Bombers and they can use it to help the club down the road but they could also land two starters in the first round. Or, at least, two players who would be on the opening day roster.

Edited by JCon

12 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Ummm, no.  Just no.  If Gray is NFL bound why in the world would you waste a first overall on him.  Sure, maybe he'll flame out and come back to the CFL in a year or two, or five, or never.  Just because, for a change, we don't have a critical O line need doesn't mean you throw the pick away on a maybe.  If Gray isn't NFL bound, then that becomes a different story.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Ummm, no.  Just no.  If Gray is NFL bound why in the world would you waste a first overall on him.  Sure, maybe he'll flame out and come back to the CFL in a year or two, or five, or never.  Just because, for a change, we don't have a critical O line need doesn't mean you throw the pick away on a maybe.  If Gray isn't NFL bound, then that becomes a different story.

It depends how much his stock in the NFL is. Is he a late round draft pick or a undrafted signing? Im feeling the latter

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I'd certainly draft Gray if he's still on the board at #6. He's one of the best OL prospects. I wouldn't have any problems with letting the NFL get him pro ready as long as he's in blue and gold in a couple of years or so and there's the rub. No one knows how long Gray will be in the NFL or if he even makes an NFL team this year. That's an analysis that common fans just can't make. Hopefully our GM and scouts have a better idea.

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd certainly draft Gray if he's still on the board at #6. He's one of the best OL prospects. I wouldn't have any problems with letting the NFL get him pro ready as long as he's in blue and gold in a couple of years or so and there's the rub. No one knows how long Gray will be in the NFL or if he even makes an NFL team this year. That's an analysis that common fans just can't make. Hopefully our GM and scouts have a better idea.

This is probably where I'm at...and, let's be honest, if he's got NFL interest, he's probably not going to get picked 2-5, so let's use that bonus pick at 6 on him. Use #1 for the best non-NFL prospect....

1 hour ago, JCon said:

It's going to be a real test of Walters (and staff) to appropriately evaluate Gray's chances in the NFL. And that, I'm guessing, is a bit like rolling the dice.

I agree on some accounts, that this is a 'freebie' pick for Bombers and they can use it to help the club down the road but they could also land two starters in the first round. Or, at least, two players who would be on the opening day roster.

that's not really accurate... you get a general idea of what his chances of sticking around are based on how the get him (draft or UDFA) and what kind of contract he gets... not to mention it is likely they have contacts in the NFL that can help with that evaluation...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

This is probably where I'm at...and, let's be honest, if he's got NFL interest, he's probably not going to get picked 2-5, so let's use that bonus pick at 6 on him. Use #1 for the best non-NFL prospect....

If Gray is not drafted by an NFL team, and he is not a high-priority FA signing, then chances are he is picked before 6. 

Some NFL rookie mini-camps will be happening the same weekend as the CFL Draft, so it may not be determined where his potential sits until even that morning of the 7th. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

If Gray is not drafted by an NFL team, and he is not a high-priority FA signing, then chances are he is picked before 6. 

Some NFL rookie mini-camps will be happening the same weekend as the CFL Draft, so it may not be determined where his potential sits until even that morning of the 7th. 

I personally think (you may have some insight that you're not allowed to share ;)) if this is the case... Gray will not make it to pick #2...

48 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

I always try to read between the lines a bit with your posts (ha ha) ....so this is very interesting, indeed.......I will say this: I want nothing more than for this kid to be Walby 2.0 (not so much as in Greatest OL to ever play the game, as Local Kid Does Good, Stays Here Forever)

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I always try to read between the lines a bit with your posts (ha ha) ....so this is very interesting, indeed.......I will say this: I want nothing more than for this kid to be Walby 2.0 (not so much as in Greatest OL to ever play the game, as Local Kid Does Good, Stays Here Forever)

If this happened to unfold like you've described, it would be a pretty awesome thing to behold.  I mean having Harris in blue and gold is awesome in its own right but to have a kid from winnipeg, drafted by his home team and develop into a Winnipeg bred Bomber for years and years.. that would be epic.

Walters said last night that they won't know who they are going to draft until the day of the draft.  They will work their NFL contacts to find out about the guys in the tryout camps up until the last minute.  

It's also obvious Walters likes Gray but he doesn't put any value on the fact that he's a local kid. If there are two picks that are equal in every way he would pick the local guy but otherwise he'd select the best player for the football club.

46 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Walters said last night that they won't know who they are going to draft until the day of the draft.  They will work their NFL contacts to find out about the guys in the tryout camps up until the last minute.  

It's also obvious Walters likes Gray but he doesn't put any value on the fact that he's a local kid. If there are two picks that are equal in every way he would pick the local guy but otherwise he'd select the best player for the football club.

And if the Bombers don't go local, Paul Friesen will come out with an article about how the Bombers are anti local products. 

13 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Whoever the Bombers pick # 1 they should sign him before drafting him .... if he won't sign don't pick him

That won't work. According Walters' they're not deciding who they'll pick until the day of. Are you going to try to negotiate a contract right before the draft, then work your way down the list until you get someone to sign?