Game 52 : Lake Winnipeg @ Lake Michigan

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I listen to 1290 TSN Radio semi frequently and they ask so many guests on their thoughts about the Winnipeg Jets.   Nearly all of them are perplexed on why the team is struggling and they nearly all say that we are loaded with talent and it's a mystery on why they cannot get over the hump.

I'd really be curious to see how this team would perform with a guy like Carlyle at coach...

Carlyle would classify Laine's injury as a bump on the head.

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

You'd be wrong. He was big boring and positional strong. Flaherty is ruining him. 

He's not a very good goalie if his goalie coach is ruining him this quickly. He is a young, inconsistent goalie, admit it and move on. He will get better. Everything is the coaches with you.

Pavs stands on his head for a period and Jets set a franchise record for shots in a period and it was something like Pav was ok. Letting in 3 isn't really that great. He's getting goal support tho. Guess what? Helle played a good game last night but not great. 41 shots is very misleading because they weren't high quality shots. Guess what? He got goal support too. I looked at the one goal, can't remember which, he was almost identical spot in the crease as Pavs was on the breakaway maybe a touch deeper...Pavs fault for being too far in the net though (even though he wasn't)...Until Chitown fell asleep and we got two quick ones, I thought this was another L and not good looking going into the ASG break. He did play well though. So did their goalie not counting 3 minutes of the game.

Outcome of the game...

Goalie's 2nd Law

If the Jets win and Helle isn't in net, no kudos to the goaltender ever.

If the Jets win and Helle is in net, goaltending won the game.

If the Jets lose and Helle is in net, it was the Jets fault because they played poorly in front of him.

If the Jets lose and Helle isn't in net, it is always the goaltenders fault.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

He's not a very good goalie if his goalie coach is ruining him this quickly.

It's not about ruining, it's about inhibiting his development. He's in his third year of professional hockey, he's still very far from a finished product and, he's done pretty well considering he's played 61 games in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's not about ruining, it's about inhibiting his development. He's in his third year of professional hockey, he's still very far from a finished product and, he's done pretty well considering he's played 61 games in the NHL.

He's our only goalie with 1. A winning record. 2. A GAA under 3 and 3. A save percentage above 900. 

Maybe if we had capable backups... but we don't.  Helle isn't the issue.  Hutch and PaveSuck are 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Right. 38 of 41 and you don't give him credit. FFS. I'm done talking goaltending 

Just an FYI 17 wins. 13 losses. 

Pav and Hutch combined have 1 less loss in about 15 fewer games. 

And just the other day you told me wins were a team stat...aren't losses a team stat too or is this just another example of you trying to use numbers to disprove Helle hasn't been very good this year?

Did you give Pavs credit when he sopped 34 of 37 and 25 in the 2nd period or whatever it was? No, you dumped on him.

Goalie's 2nd law... If the Jets win and Helle isn't in net, no kudos to the goaltender ever.

Too bad you're not sick of talking about coaching.

Edited by Ducky

You bring up pavelec like he's some sort of nhl rookie. When reality we all know he isn't good enough.  You crap on helle cuz of 2 bad games but 6 years of bad pavelec. Good god man.  But really... 

I'll stop talking about coaching when you pretend you don't know more than guys like Craig button. 

FFS. You just have to argue about everything.  

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

Oh ya, there's a lot of "legit" analysts out there that say we need to do something about goaltending but your buddy Button is the only one that said it is the coaching.....hmmmmmmmmmm, wonder why you like him?

Wouldn't firing the goalie coach be doing something about the goaltending?  They're not going to do it mid season. 

But I read somewhere that Montreal went through three goalie coaches early on in Price's career looking for the right guy to bring out the best in him. 

Its not a science but every goalie that makes the jets seems to get worse over time.  The eye test tells us that Helle's strengths in year one are suddenly evaporating. Did he forget how to play?  Or is his coach a problem?

we could try a 4th goalie just to make sure and when he declines then I guess maybe we have our answer. I'd rather not ruin another goalie. Let's switch coaches. 

Realairically many teams go through coaches looking for the right mix for their starter. In Winnipeg the starter isn't respected enough to earn that consideration - he must play for whatever coach is thrust upon him. Why?  

8 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Actually Montreal went through three head coaches before this one during Prices time there so I guess we have to fire three head coaches too? Give me a break.

What are you talking about? I didn't say we needed to go through theee goalie coaches either. You admittedly know nothing about coaching and yet seem to be pushing the idea that the goalies suck but their coach is great. Does not compute. 

We're kn our second head coach with the same goalie coach. At least Montreal didn't accept mediocrity and kept looking for the right mix. Ducky, just be happy we have an NHL team. Success isn't important. 

We won in Chicago because Helle outgoalied Darling which was a very positive sign. 38/4 1 is a  .927 sv % which is above league average - bottom line.

One was fairly soft, but it was a 2 on 1 off a turnover and goals get scored when that happens. And what is this about there weren't many quality chances? Of course there were. Toews breakaway, the total onslaughts around the crease where they'd bang away on us for 20 seconds, 4 penalties.

Helle outgoalied Darling, but Helle just needs more consistency. This happens all the time with goalies and he's on the right track. I don't think his breakout year will be until 2018/2019 but that's very normal for goalies.

Darling is a UFA at the end of the year and with all the goalie movement this offseason I think he is someone that that Jets should take a serious look at to anchor Helle. 6'6 with a good sv % and some good experience now. Only problem is someone might pay him more to legitimately start.

Edited by Judd

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What are you talking about? I didn't say we needed to go through theee goalie coaches either. You admittedly know nothing about coaching and yet seem to be pushing the idea that the goalies suck but their coach is great. Does not compute. 

We're kn our second head coach with the same goalie coach. At least Montreal didn't accept mediocrity and kept looking for the right mix. Ducky, just be happy we have an NHL team. Success isn't important. 

I I have stated a million times that our goaltending is below average and it is I don't care what you or anybody else says. Being happy with having a team and not being competitive is a defeatist attitude but I guess you like that. As far as Montreal not accepting mediocrity what have they done really in the last 10 years since they've acquired price? Have they even made the Stanley Cup finals? Price of struggling this year are they firing the goalie coach? The goalies in Tampa Bay are struggling this year are they firing the goalie coach?  I'm not saying we should or I'm not saying we should or shouldn't fire any coaches I'm just saying that a lot of people on here put all the blame on the coaches and none of it on the players especially the goalies especially Helle.  but that's okay let's but that's okay let's just keep on keeping on with him and not get a veteran to back of upper to take over his spot as first goalie because he sure isn't a number one goalie right now and he's not playing like it either he's playing barely good enough to be a backup. I would stay and talk but I have to go Shovel mysidewalk I don't like the way it was shoveled I think I'm going to fire my shoveling coach.

11 hours ago, Ducky said:

I I have stated a million times that our goaltending is below average and it is I don't care what you or anybody else says. Being happy with having a team and not being competitive is a defeatist attitude but I guess you like that. As far as Montreal not accepting mediocrity what have they done really in the last 10 years since they've acquired price? Have they even made the Stanley Cup finals? Price of struggling this year are they firing the goalie coach? The goalies in Tampa Bay are struggling this year are they firing the goalie coach?  I'm not saying we should or I'm not saying we should or shouldn't fire any coaches I'm just saying that a lot of people on here put all the blame on the coaches and none of it on the players especially the goalies especially Helle.  but that's okay let's but that's okay let's just keep on keeping on with him and not get a veteran to back of upper to take over his spot as first goalie because he sure isn't a number one goalie right now and he's not playing like it either he's playing barely good enough to be a backup. I would stay and talk but I have to go Shovel mysidewalk I don't like the way it was shoveled I think I'm going to fire my shoveling coach.

No one is talking about the goalie coaches where they've had tons of success in goal? Shocking!