Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rich

US Politics

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Honestly amusing to see  GOP panic and turn on each other ,devour with se lf contradiction. It is and should be pointed out.

Yeah, good enough to be their candidate for President, but now, a terrible war monger. Some kind of crazy funhouse these people live in.

Stephen King summed it up nicely. Pretty good with words.

Quote

"Now, we've got a serial liar and womanizer as president," King wrote, calling Trump a "draft dodger surrounded by a bunch of corrupt crocodiles." 

 

Edited by Mark F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Zontar said:

McCain was a career self aggrandizing politician of the first degree. An open borders globalist.  Faithful servant of the multinationals and arms industry.

Never saw a region where armed intervention wasn't the first choice. Signed off and beat the drum for both Iraq wars and Afghanistan debacles. Begged for war with Iran and Russia.

Ignored his constiuency repeatedly on immigration to side with the corporate americas desire for cheap labour.

The very sort of pig at the trough politician that has destroyed people's confidence in government .

Other than that...

Just say, "Republican". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JCon said:

Just say, "Republican". 

Just say "drain the swamp" of people like him in their government and ours.

P.S. McCain also skated on the S&L scandal in the 80s. For those old enough to recall those initials. Just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zontar said:

Just say "drain the swamp" of people like him in their government and ours.

P.S. McCain also skated on the S&L scandal in the 80s. For those old enough to recall those initials. Just sayin.

Oh, I agree, that as a politician, he was human garbage, which is why he fit in so well with the GOP. 

He helped make Trump happen by bringing in Palin. 

Attacking his military career is a bit odd. But again, that's a GOP trait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JCon said:

Oh, I agree, that as a politician, he was human garbage, which is why he fit in so well with the GOP. 

He helped make Trump happen by bringing in Palin. 

Attacking his military career is a bit odd. But again, that's a GOP trait. 

The trump-ites hate McCain because they blame him for not burying the dossier. That’s what’s more important to them. Not that trump did those things but that it wasn’t buried. 

Plus they need to denigrate military service because it doesn’t play well with their guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The trump-ites hate McCain because they blame him for not burying the dossier. That’s what’s more important to them. Not that trump did those things but that it wasn’t buried. 

Plus they need to denigrate military service because it doesn’t play well with their guy. 

Another astounding thing, the enlisted men like Trump. The draft dodging, afraid of the sight of blood,  coward.

What the hell is up with that? 

 

Edited by Mark F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Another astounding thing, the enlisted men like Trump. The draft dodging, afraid of the sight of blood,  coward.

What the hell is up with that? 

 

I spent some time with a major in the US Air Force recently. She told me no one in the armed forces respect him.  She explained that in general even if you dislike a president you respect him as your commander. But not in this case.  

Im sure some do like him. But she said it was very wide spread that he is hated and not respected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I spent some time with a major in the US Air Force recently. She told me no one in the armed forces respect him.  She explained that in general even if you dislike a president you respect him as your commander. But not in this case.  

Im sure some do like him. But she said it was very wide spread that he is hated and not respected. 

Good to hear that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The trump-ites hate McCain because they blame him for not burying the dossier. That’s what’s more important to them. Not that trump did those things but that it wasn’t buried. 

Plus they need to denigrate military service because it doesn’t play well with their guy. 

 

45 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I spent some time with a major in the US Air Force recently. She told me no one in the armed forces respect him.  She explained that in general even if you dislike a president you respect him as your commander. But not in this case.  

Im sure some do like him. But she said it was very wide spread that he is hated and not respected. 

Absolute rubbish. Trump sees the military as part of his base. Speeches to members and visits to bases are firmly in his playbook from the beginning. His enthusiastic receptions keep it there.

Astonishing ignorance on your part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zontar said:

 

Absolute rubbish. Trump sees the military as part of his base. Speeches to members and visits to bases are firmly in his playbook from the beginning. His enthusiastic receptions keep it there.

Astonishing ignorance on your part.

Oh are we into the name calling? lol  I guess you know more than she does...talk about ignorant  hahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignorance isn't an insult it's an adjective.

Trumps visit to Iraq late last year was such a success that rather than admit Trump plays well to the military the usual partisan media suspects fretted he was "politicizing" the armed forces. CNN wondered aloud if soldiers could be punished for wearing MA GA hats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zontar said:

Ignorance isn't an insult it's an adjective.

Trumps visit to Iraq late last year was such a success that rather than admit Trump plays well to the military the usual partisan media suspects fretted he was "politicizing" the armed forces. CNN wondered aloud if soldiers could be punished for wearing MA GA hats.

 

Okay whatever you say.  Of course, I just had an in depth discussion with a member of the US Air Force (who had previously been a member of the US Army) but yeah, I guess the white nationalist zealot is right and the Major is wrong.  Sure bud.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Okay whatever you say.  Of course, I just had an in depth discussion with a member of the US Air Force (who had previously been a member of the US Army) but yeah, I guess the white nationalist zealot is right and the Major is wrong.  Sure bud.  

So in other words the US armed forces is just like society at large. Lots of people with lots of different views and opinions. To assert "hatred" of Trump is the prevailing viewpoint is absolutely false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zontar said:

So in other words the US armed forces is just like society at large. Lots of people with lots of different views and opinions. To assert "hatred" of Trump is the prevailing viewpoint is absolutely false.

ummm why are you people like this?  You did the exact thing you're whining about now.  haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

ummm why are you people like this?  You did the exact thing you're whining about now.  haha

With annecdotal evidence you asserted the US armed forces hates Trump. That assertion is wrong for reasons I explained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zontar said:

With annecdotal evidence you asserted the US armed forces hates Trump. That assertion is wrong for reasons I explained. 

Why do the white nationalists get so bent out of shape when people dont share your warped gross ideology?   The M.O. is to always attack.  Give it a rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a little more complicated than they all support Trump or none support Trump.  The poor and uneducated are targeted by the military for enlistment and that plays to Trump's base.  Minorities are also targetted (for the same reason), but Trump does poorly with that demographic.  Also keep in mind that 25% of respondents in a Military Times poll (2017) reported witnessing white nationalist behavior among fellow troops (it's no mystery who they support):  https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2017/10/23/military-times-poll-one-in-four-troops-sees-white-nationalism-in-the-ranks/  

Presidential visits are lousy indicators of troop support as expressing opposition would be viewed as insubordination to the Commander-In-Chief.  

It's also a common belief that military personnel lean right (and I have plenty of anecdotal evidence supporting this (but I don't believe in anecdotal evidence)), but that doesn't necessarily ring true at the voting booth:

"123,724,157 Americans voted in 2016 (not counting votes for 3rd party candidates). If ten percent of the voters were active troops or inactive veterans, then about 12.4 million represents the military vote. If we divide the military pie into 8 slices, the slice that represents combat vets is about 1.55 million troops, but the other seven slices total 10.199 million troops that served in non-combat positions.

  • Combat vets who voted for Trump = 930k
  • Combat vets that voted for Clinton = 620k
  • Non-Combat vets/troops that voted for Trump = 4.774 million
  • Non-Combat vets/troops that voted for Clinton = 5.425 million

Total for Trump = 5,704,000
Total for Clinton = 6,045,000"

https://thesoulfulveteran.com/tag/who-did-the-us-military-really-vote-for-in-the-2016-us-election/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yours was.  I pointed it out using first hand information.  Ill accept your apology.

I'm not not doubting your anecdotal un corroborated story at all. However, the conclusion you drew from it is incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro Trump being the majority was never stated. Obviously there is more than enough support there that Trump feels comfortable for repeated interactions. Those interactions have been clearly a political plus for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zontar said:

I'm not not doubting your anecdotal un corroborated story at all. However, the conclusion you drew from it is incorrect.

I drew no conclusion.  Perhaps reading comprehension is an issue for you.  You might want to consider that before calling people ignorant.  On the other hand, you drew a conclusion, disregarding not only facts that @Wideleft helpfully provided, but my own "anecdotal" information that comes from a current US service person.  You conflated your own opinion with reality and were wrong.

A simple apology would go a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...